Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
bruce lee

Default 1932 ford pitman arm part number?

Hello I need a 32 pitman arm for my roadster. I would like to know if they can be identified by the part number on them. I have a 34 now and would like to find a 32. My 32 roadster is an original bodied late forties hotrod and want it to be correct. Also are 32s 5-1/2 from center to center of the holes? Thanks for any help.
bruce lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1932 ford pitman arm part number?

B-3590...unlike the 2 '34 arms, it has a flat end with tapered hole to take a removable ball. I tripped over a '32 pitman last night but did not look it over...I'm thinking no number forged, but I'm not certain...and of course they came out of multiple forging dies, and extras were likely made to keep the parts bins full in later years. Will look it over tonight, but likely someone will post fully before then. It is 5 1/2" between centers.
"33-34's came in 2 slightly different lengths.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce lee View Post
Hello I need a 32 pitman arm for my roadster. I would like to know if they can be identified by the part number on them. I have a 34 now and would like to find a 32. My 32 roadster is an original bodied late forties hotrod and want it to be correct. Also are 32s 5-1/2 from center to center of the holes? Thanks for any help.
This is just a curiosity question, but what would be wrong with a 34 pitman arm on a 32 hot rod that is late forties style? I have 33 5w and 34 5w late forty early 50s hot rod style and have a of mixture of different year parts, to me that is part of what makes them a hot rod versus a restoration. Examples on mine are hydraulic brakes along with the later backing plates, later rear axles, later engine, later steering box, etc.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Fordors

The '32 pitman comes in two varieties, passenger arms have a hand stamped A to identify them from a pitman for a pickup truck which will be stamped with a B. The shorter pickup cowl requires a different steering column angle and pitman clocking on the sector shaft.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Then they slotted the frame and went back to a single arm...don't have the bulletin handy.
'34 arms are mostly completely shot, with the ball worn down to a deformed egg shape. The forging shape makes it about impossible to drill for a bolt-in ball, so it must be built up with weld and ground down to round or something.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
bruce lee

I guess I should ask more questions. Like are 32 and 34s clocked the same on the splines on pitman arm? Can I use the 34 on 32 13-1 sector shaft and worm gear.??? If all is ok to use the 34 then I will just use it. I like the look of the 34 better with the built in ball.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
bruce lee

Also my 34 is 5-1/2 center to center hole to ball. Is that the same as 32?? I just want to make sure all the geometry is correct and safe.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
bruce lee

Bruce L. My ball end is really nice round shape. Not egged out. I would say it's in great shape and usable.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
DavidG

The '32 and '33 arms are not "clocked" the same as the steering columns are angled differently (slightly so).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote