Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Setting valve lash

I've been researching the setting of the valve lash on my C59A but am still left will some things being unclear. First, what should the lash be set at?. there seems to be quite a few different numbers out there. I'm thinking .014EXH and .010INT but have seen other numbers given as high as .018 and some suggesting the same lash on INT and EXH. The next thing that is not clear is what prevents the adjustment screw from "self adjusting". There is no lock nut that I can see and I've read that some use, what I gather, is two sections of thread slightly out of phase from one another to create a friction grip to prevent the screws from moving easily (or something to that effect). This seems to me like it would work as long as you are only adjusting the screw in to increase lash. As soon as you have to back it out to reduce the lash, the tension would be lost to my way of thinking. Could use blue locktite??. I'm thinking of doing my lash adjustments out of the engine so using locktite should not be too difficult unless there is a reason not to use it or it's just not necessary. Just looking for some clarification and insight before I start.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote