Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
Standing Elk

Default Pulsing breaks

I just completely rebuilt my brakes on my 30 coupe. Everything was new and I had the supplier true my new cast drums. I put everything back together and adjusted correctly. Breaks work very well as far as stopping. The issue I have is at slow speeds like stopping at a stop sign I feel a very definite pulsing in one of the brakes. It is bad enough that with gravel on the pavement you can hear it wanting to slide momentarily as it rotates at slow speeds. At road speeds it is not noticeable. Any ideas other than an out of round drum?
Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Pulsing breaks

When we were checking my brothers freshly turned drums they ran true till a freshly powder coated wheel was bolted up --then it went out of round, the powder coating on the flange of the wheel that touches the drum had uneven powder coating that pushed the drum out of round

the fronts use a 'normal" setup on most drum lathes, the rears need adapters made for the old ford drums ---my Barrett has an adapter that fits in with the wheel bearing so it is centered the same as on the car ---just using the normal cones may not work as well and need checking of the setup

you should be able to feel which one by jacking up the car by the axles and spinning the wheels , push the pedal down with a stick just a little so you get slight drag--or turn in the adjuster some
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
pbishop

Could be shoe on that wheel did not seat just right. In any event, could try jacking up that end of the car and readjusting the drag on those wheels.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:58 AM   #4
Synchro909

To turn the rear drums, I made up an arbour. the taper was in the opposite direction to the one on the axle so I could hold it in the lathe and get a cut on the inside of the drum. As has been said, the front ones aren't much of a problem and this way works well.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
BillCNC

Pulsing Brakes

Drum Brakes, ... Drum out of round
Disc Brakes, ... Disk is worn unevenly

In all my years working with anything that had brakes, ... these are the only reason I have ever found.

If they just started pulsing (little pulsing) you can get the drums turned. If they have been pulsing for a while and the pulse is strong, ... New Drums are needed for the ones that pulse. If your lucky, ... it could be just one wheel.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
KCTA Chris

Standing Elk - Following and hope you find the answer to share. I suffer the same issue too, had a known seller set up new drums and pads for my rebuilt brakes. Mine is on the front and thinking out of round drums took in to turn and found they were true, so was not fault of the seller. Ive tried centering my brakes, (best I can without the tool), wheel swaps and no improvement. I've lived with it for a few years and makes me grumble at the cost and choice I made to stick with mechanical.
KCTA Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Keith True

Time to go over everything real closely.Make sure the backing plates are held tightly to the spindles and the rear axle housings.Look to see if the 4 bolts that hold them on have been working,letting the backing plate chuck back and forth.Were the adjuster arms matched,or ground to identical lengths?Are they too loose in the housing?Brake actuator shaft tight in the perch and kingpin housing?Are the shoes really and truly centered? Perches and spring U-bolts tight?Are you running a completely stock A system? No floaters or anything like that?Tracks redone correctly so one shoe isn't hanging up on an old worn one?Years ago I had an A that had the kingpins wore fore and aft,when you stepped on the brakes the brakes would grab and let go,real fast,on and off.I have NEVER seen kingpins wear fore and aft like that.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

Did you have the shoes "arced to the drums??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Pull the drums, and check the pattern on the lining, should be able to see what is touching.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
Scottio57

I had new brakes put on my car. Drums turned and all. I had the same problem with them pulsing. Turned out to be one of the front hubs is slightly bent, .020.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote