Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
greezy

Default New General Discussion Forum-International Ford Based Flathead Era

Can we have a new general discussion forum called something like International Ford Based Flathead Era please? This can cover the products and the ins and outs of all the Ford plants around the world. There were many different cars, trucks, models, bodies, engines, mechanicals, etc. UK had many models of their own and produced sidevalve engines until 1962. Ford Germany made their own models and engines. Ford France got bought by Simca and kept on producing flatheads. Australia had many unique and interesting variations. Russia and the GAZ is another one. There is an enormous amount to talk about and a lot of unwritten and unrecorded details that need to be rediscovered. Bear in mind that the French flatheads were made by SUMB, not Ford, until approx 1990 so that is why I suggest the title International Ford Based Flathead Era.
greezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: New General Discussion Forum-International Ford Based Flathead Era

It is just my opinion (note that I am not involved in the management of this forum) but too many buckets make a forum difficult to navigate and hard to decide where something belongs.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
greezy

At the moment if you want to talk about an English 1934 Ford Model Y, which is like a scaled down American 34 Ford, or a German Ford Taunus, which looks like a scaled down Lincoln Zephyr, and numerous other early Fords from around the world, there is nowhere on Fordbarn to talk about them as they do not fit into any of the forum titles. Is that what you want? Fordbarn now is intended only for the Fords directly of American origin. It could quite easily be expanded to all early Fords ever made. I can agree that the number of different forums should be kept to a minimum, but I believe that an international Ford forum is essential for Fordbarn to completely cover all early Fords.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
greezy

Ryan, what do you think?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
greezy

Hello, hello, can anybody hear me??? To go thru this again, Ford of Europe built their own cars from 1932 to the 1960s which were something like scaled down American Fords with an engine that was like a scaled down Model B 4 cylinder. These cars are Early Fords, but there is nowhere on Fordbarn to talk about them as they dont fit into any of the forum titles. Can we have another forum for them? I could ask for a European Fords Forum, but these cars were also sent to places like Australia where they made their own bodies such as the Ute and the Tourer, so I think it is better to call the new forum International Ford based Flathead era. They made millions of cars, and there are hundreds of thousands of survivors all over the world, so there is a lot to talk about.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

In answer to your question "can anybody hear me?" the answer is probably no. This forum is intended for questions about the site to the editors but the overall population usually doesn't read it. In reality your question is to the editors and probably belongs here but as I said, this forum doesn't get read often. More buckets mean more confusion. If a Ford vehicle built in the United States belongs in the "Early V8 Forum" why doesn't one built in a foreign country belong there also?

Charlie Stephens
Old 10-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
greezy

Thank you for answering, Charlie. As you are the only one paying attention, I will try to convince you! The Ford of Europe range of cars from 1932 to the 1960s were scaled down versions of American Fords, known as the small sidevalves, they had the European small sidevalve engine which is something like a scaled down 4 cylinder Model B engine of 933cc or 1172cc. They didn't make as small sidevalve V8, they were all 4 cylinders, so they don't belong in the V8 forum, but they weren't Model Ts or As either so there is no forum for them.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by greezy View Post
Thank you for answering, Charlie. As you are the only one paying attention, I will try to convince you! The Ford of Europe range of cars from 1932 to the 1960s were scaled down versions of American Fords, known as the small sidevalves, they had the European small sidevalve engine which is something like a scaled down 4 cylinder Model B engine of 933cc or 1172cc. They didn't make as small sidevalve V8, they were all 4 cylinders, so they don't belong in the V8 forum, but they weren't Model Ts or As either so there is no forum for them.
I have two 1932 Fords. Both are four cylinders. There a lot of people with 4, 6 and 12 cylinders that don't "belong" in the Early V8 forum but that is where we all ended up, us and a lot of guys with foreign built vehicles. Never seemed to be a problem.

Charlie Stephens
Old 10-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
greezy

Your 1932 Ford 4 cylinders are the same car as a 1932 Ford V8, the only difference is the engine. For a 1932 Ford Model Y, the whole car is different. There would not be any point in trying to discuss details of a 1932 Ford Model Y on the V8 forum as nobody on there has got one. The sense of what I am saying does not apply very much to California and people who only own American built or American type early Fords. You are probably aware of the Anglias that were built as gassers in the 1960s. These cars are part of the English range of small sidevalves that were made from the 1930s to the 1960s. Some of us run these now as stockers/original/restored cars. There would not be any point trying to discuss these on the Early V8 forum. There is some mechanical interchangeability between English Anglias and German Ford Taunuses. It would be neat to have an international Ford forum to discuss these things, but it has no application on the early V8 forum. Most of the people on the Ford barn forums are from America and are talking about American Fords. Most of the people on an international Ford forum would be from all countries of the world, talking about all Ford products. Ford made enough cars and there are enough survivors to warrant an international Ford forum. It is not what Fordbarn was started for, and it may not have much interest for some present Fordbarners, but it is a good/essential idea and would make Fordbarn a complete early Ford resource. Are you reading this Ryan, or can somebody draw it to his attention?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #10
kate321

These old models are just love but the seats are not comfortable we need to modify the seats with the latest trend and comfort.
kate321 is offline   Reply With Quote