Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #41
Ron in Quincy

Default Re: Worth my time? (this time with pics)

B. Terry,

I certainly agree with you, its fun to drive a restored car and enjoy the looks, thumbs up, etc.. When I've restored cars in the past, in view its my hobby, I do not keep tract of money invested.

Does a golfer keep tract of the cost of green fees in determining weather he should play or not ?

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:12 AM   #42
john charlton

Wrap it up, I`ll take it.

John in rain again I think I`ll get webbed feet soon morning England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #43
john charlton

Wrap it up I`ll take it.

John in rain again I`ll soon have webbed feet England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #44
TBone69

Looks like it's worth it to me, you'd be starting out with a whole lot more than I am
TBone69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #45
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
You're correct, indented firewalls were introduced for all Model A's around May 1931.

I don't have any reference for a dlx Tudor doesn't mean there wasn't one I just don't have anything on it. What model number?

MARC body style information
The standard Tudors for the years 1930 and 1931, and the deluxe Tudor that was available in 1931, share the model number 55B.
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #46
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessyouboys View Post
The standard Tudors for the years 1930 and 1931, and the deluxe Tudor that was available in 1931, share the model number 55B.

THANK YOU for the additional info!

I guess they did the same thing with the victoria. Two major styles, leather back and steel back. Different sheet metal, different wood, different bracing, same model # 190A

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 09-26-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #47
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am going to take the liberty to "vent" here for a moment, and some might find it best to stop reading this and move on to another thread but I feel this needs to be stated!

A comment that continually surfaces here that really bothers me is the notion that a 'Driver' level of restoration is the only kind of car you can have fun with and if it is too nice, it must be trailered everywhere.

I agree both my A's I would define as nice and they are driven 2 or 3 times per week . In my experience it costs little more to keep them running close too original than it does just to keep them running . A well sorted original Model A is the ultimate driver. Today I'm scoping out a wedding I'm doing next week in the Phaeton. The venue is about 45 minutes drive from the Brides house and I will test drive the route in the coupe today- doubling the fun
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #48
Special Coupe Frank

Does it have a clear / negotiable title ? ( That's a HUGE issue here in Pennsylvania...).

Looks like a good candidate for a fun driver; see if the owner / custodian will let you look a little deeper, perhaps get it started...

I have heard of folks getting "turn-key", driveable cars for around $6000 in my neck of the woods; they may need "everything" to be cosmetically correct, but usually get you a viable driver.

I think this one is worth pursuing...

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #49
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Frank. This could be a good driver, and you can change or improve parts as you keep on driving it. Just do one thing at a time as time and money allows and you can have fun driving while making any improvements you may want or need to make. Good brakes are a first of course!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #50
Deluxe Coupe Chris

Not sure if it has been mentioned but it has a 28-29 syle oil pan on the engine. It might be an earlier engine.
Deluxe Coupe Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #51
jaguar6165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Coupe Chris View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned but it has a 28-29 syle oil pan on the engine. It might be an earlier engine.
No one mentioned it, I didnt notice, nor would i know the difference. Thanks. I think ill make them an offer today and try to get another look.

The only problem is my 28 still needs some things here and there. Itll be tough to figure out which one to work on on my days off. Maybe ill just alternate.
jaguar6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #52
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar6165 View Post
No one mentioned it, I didnt notice, nor would i know the difference. Thanks. I think ill make them an offer today and try to get another look.

The only problem is my 28 still needs some things here and there. Itll be tough to figure out which one to work on on my days off. Maybe ill just alternate.
If your 28 doesn't have the correct oil pan with the removable plate, then you could swap with this car and both would have the correct oil pan.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #53
Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar6165 View Post

Same boat as I'm in... Have a 29 Sport Coupe and early 30 truck... I decided to keep the sport coupe as close to orig as possible and make the truck a more modern driver... as one put it earlier, who keeps up with how much money-- it's a hobby and enjoy the time spent working on the old girl (Truck is a guy ). haha enjoy and good luck.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #54
mass A man

Almost every Model A deserves to be "saved". Deciding factor is $$$$ to make it safe to drive or total restoration. Looks to be in the $3500. - $4500. range. If this car was on E-Bay it would be advertised for $6k-$9k!! Try starting it- That is where a lot of money could be spent to just get it to go down the road.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote