Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2023, 08:52 PM   #1

Default Gear box change over

Hi all. I have a noisy gearbox in the 29' speedster. I made the mistake of putting new gears in the box without also changing the layshafts. There is an all right gearbox out of a multi plate clutch type set up. My question is can I do a direct change over ie will the older box fit. Following on from that, what is the best way to remove an replace the box's. Thanking you all in advance.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:38 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Gear box change over

I am not all that familiar with the gearbox for the multi plate clutch, but from what I have read on the forum, it is different and will not work with the single plate clutch. You might be able to use some of the parts from the multi plate clutch gearbox to fix the gearbox you have in the car.

There are a couple ways to remove the gearbox. One is to disconnect the rear end and pull it out from the back of the car, then remove the gearbox with the bell housing and then unbolt the gearbox from the bell housing, keeping the rear spring with the differential. The other way is to pull the engine with the gearbox and then remove the bell housing to remove the gearbox. In that method you have to remove the gear shift tower and cover the gearbox to prevent dirt and parts from falling into it. Your choice.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:24 AM   #3
dave in australia

The input shaft is different between the multi plate clutch boxes and the single plate boxes. Also, some boxes have a circlip to sop the input and out put shaft bearings from moving too far in to the box and earlier boxes have a machined landing aspart of the box casing.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:39 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Parts for the multiplate system are getting harder to find over time. The transmission and bell housing are part of that change. The transmission has a different type of input to allow for the different throw out bearing. Internal parts of the transmission may be usable for the ones that actually interchange with the later type.

I would caution anyone who is overhauling an early Ford type transmission to avoid utilizing replacement roller bearings for the two on the countershaft and the one inside the input shaft. No one makes them like Hyatt did and folks have been having problems with the reproductions. If the used ones are still serviceable then I would reuse those.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:18 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies, most appreciated. A good and solid look at the multi plate setup has determined that the internal parts may be of use, but as stated the drive chain from engine to gear box is of course different.
After a read of several books, 'Andrew's and Page and an orignal owners manual, it seems that removing the diff is the least of worry some way.
As always you are a great fount of knowledge, many thanks.