Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #1
Jbday

Default How to Get Title to Grandpa’s A

My grandpa had 3 Model A’s when he passed 35 years ago. My grandma kept them for the a decade or so, until she moved. At that point 3 of the 8 children was given a Model A, my mom being 1 of the 3. It sat in her garage for the past 20 years and this summer has been the first time I have had time and money to invest in getting the Model A running.

I got it running and got insurance for for my mom. Since none of my siblings has ever shown an interest in the Model A, my mom wants to put it in my name. She looked for the title and found my grandpa’s old insurance statement and his registration for historical plates, but couldn’t find the title. I figured that wasn’t that big of a deal and was sure it wouldn’t be too hard for her to get a copy/new title. I was looking into how she could get a new title, when I read on the registration that the plates must be surrendered to the state (Ohio) upon transfer of the title. Then I noticed that the license plate number on the registration is the same as the plates on the Model A.

I am almost certain that the title to the Model A is still in my grandpa’s name, possibly my grandma’s. My grandma passed away about 10 years ago. I am worried that the Model A might have to go back to my grandma’s estate without any paperwork showing that it goes to my mom, but she doesn’t get along with all her siblings and I don’t trust them to not try to put up a fight even though my grandma gave it to my mom before she passed away.

My mom is/was the executor for my grandma. She has reached out to the attorney, but the attorney is out this week. I am hoping that with a copy of both grandparents’ death certificates and documentation of my mom as power of attorney, she can get the title and sign it.

Has anyone had a similar experience, especially in Ohio? There has to be someway to get a title for it. If you bought a piece of property and discovered a vehicle hidden in a barn for the past 20 years you owned it, how would you get that titled?
Jbday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:31 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: How to Get Title to Grandpa’s A

Take all the paperwork and certificates to DMV they should be able to get the title and sign over to you. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:37 PM   #3
1955cj5

Take a close look at the registration certificates that you have. Sometimes the title number is referenced on the registration certificate. If you have the title number, you may be able to apply for a duplicate title.

You may have to title it in your mom's name first and then have her transfer it to you.

I have a 1951 jeep that was originally purchased in Ohio, and the old (1960) Ohio registration certificates that came with it have the title number referenced.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:00 PM   #4
Bob C

Might help if we new what state you are in. I would try AAA before going to DMV
and possibly opening a can of worms.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:01 PM   #5
Synchro909

Coming from a country where cars don't have titles, it seems to me that they cause a lot of problems but for what benefit? Just curious!
Old 07-28-2022, 11:16 PM   #6
steve hackel

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If you are lucky enough to actually get a duplicate title with your grandfathers name on it, just have them issue it with his name on it. With your mom being the executor of his estate, all you will need is the death certificate(s) and your moms signature on the

title as executor, and the state will recognize that. Our family went through this same situation with my dad's vehicles and my brother signed every one of them ; his name,
executor, a notary seal, and the death certificate(s) and this all was accomplished in
the state of Illinois - and you don't want to deal with the state of Illinois and titles
for old cars ! Good luck.
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:29 AM   #7
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Coming from a country where cars don't have titles, it seems to me that they cause a lot of problems but for what benefit? Just curious!
It probably was instituted as a way to make car theft tougher by putting up an additional step to getting license plates. Can you show up at your license plate office with a car, pay a fee, and get a set of plates, or is there a step where you prove ownership? It would be interesting to compare car theft statistics between the US and Australia.
Bruce of MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 12:16 PM   #8
Jerry in Shasta

Tell DMV the title is lost and ask for a DUP title

Wiith the Dup Title you will have the exact jumping off point
Old 07-29-2022, 12:57 PM   #9
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...I would google the law that applies for Ohio, read it, and then go to AAA with what paperwork you have and see what they say prior to going to the DMV. AAA deals with this stuff all the time and will give good advice...In some states they can do the work and just submit it to DMV. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #10
kurt v

If it's been reg before like Jerry said go get a dup title , the title should be on record.

kurt
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:36 PM   #11
john in illinois

I agreewith post 9. Look up the state laws on lost titles and titles from estates.
Find out what you need to do. Then you will know what to expect at-the DMV

JOHN
Old 07-29-2022, 05:25 PM   #12
Kurt in NJ

you can register it in vermont, they just want the tax money on book value
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:46 PM   #13
ronn

you can register it in vermont, they just want the tax money on book value

which might only be 1200. or so at 6%.......been there done dat! :0
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:59 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
It probably was instituted as a way to make car theft tougher by putting up an additional step to getting license plates. Can you show up at your license plate office with a car, pay a fee, and get a set of plates, or is there a step where you prove ownership? It would be interesting to compare car theft statistics between the US and Australia.
To register a car here (in this state - others will vary), we have to produce proof of ownership - usually in the form of a receipt for the purchase. The registration office will check behind the scenes that there is no lien on the car and that it is not reported stolen. The Police database is used for that. (Any member of the public can do a similar check before they pay out their hard earned) If all is clear, a RWC (Road worthiness certificate) issued by an approved tester is the next requirement. Once all that is done and you pay the fees, you're on your way. The registration is transferred to you, the new owner.
I agree, a comparison of figures would be interesting for both thefts and recoveries.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:14 PM   #15
d.

the only people that can issue you a valid title for your grandfathers Model A is your Ohio DMV...any other advice is just guesswork based on how their particular state handles these situations. The Ohio DMV will tell you what it needs for documentation.
Take everything you have to your local DMV and ask how to proceed.
be honest and forthcoming, it may serve you well, and good luck.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:01 PM   #16
Bill OH

There should be an order from the Probate Court that administered your Grandfather’s Estate transferring the Model A to your mother and request the Clerk of the Probate Court to issue to your mother a certified copy of the order transferring the Model A to your Mother. Have your Mother take that order to the Clerk of Courts Title Office and she can make application for a title in her name. With the title go to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and obtain either regular registration if the A is going to be daily driver or go to the BMV at Columbus for Historical Plates and return Grandpa’s Historical plates - they are invalid. If you operate the A on the highway titled in either Mom’s name or yours with Grandpa’s plates then you will be charged with fictitious plates - fine and potential jail sentence. Once Mom has the title in her name she can transfer the title to you and then you obtain plates for the A and Insurance. Or if a title was issued in Mom’s name and she lost it, take the Certified Copy of the Probate Court Order to the Clerk of Courts Title Office and have the Deputy Clerk issue a Duplicate Title to Mom and proceed with obtaining plates and insurance with the duplicate title. The key is obtaining the Certified Copy of the Probate Court order transferring the A from Grandpa to Mom You do not need to reopen Grandpa’s estate. Either the title was never issued by the Clerk of Court’s Title Office (the attorney that handled the estate should have accomplished that task) or the title was issued and lost, in which event a duplicate title can be issued from the Clerk of Courts Title Office. All of this is easy to do - Probate Court, Title Offfice and BMV. Hope this helps.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:16 PM   #17
Bill OH

You may have to look at Grandma’ estate to see if the A was transferred from Grandpa to Grandma. but Grandpa’s plates are on the car. Look in both estates for the order of transfer.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:28 PM   #18
Harpkatt

In NYS before before 1973 I believe there were no vehicle titles, registrations were transferable. So signing a transferable registration is all that was needed. Of course I can't say what the story is for where you live.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 11:11 PM   #19
rotorwrench

All you need is a state judge's order to give your mother legal ownership. The statute of limitations has likely passed and the estates of her parents were likely settled a long time ago. It sounds like your mom has enough information to get the job done. A judge could determine ownership however she wants it. State judges have that power for items of property under their jurisdiction.

I've had to do this on aircraft when the previous owner dies without signing a bill of sale. With aircraft it's more complicated since it is with a federal agency, namely the FAA. The state DOT has nothing to do with it but a state judge still has that power even in federal matters.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:46 PM   #20
Ayers1

Post #6 is pretty much how it can be done in Va. Just went through it all with both of my parents estates.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote