Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
springerpete

Default '29 roadster doors

My doors appear fine on my car. They close tightly, stay closed while driving and do not rattle. They open/close easily. Today I met a roadster owner who commented that, when shut tight, the door skin sticks out 1/8" - 3/16" beyond the body skin at the rear of the door top and bottom. Fronts are even. Is this usual ? Just wondering. I plan on driving as they are. Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: '29 roadster doors

Those doors are not “aircraft doors”; the do not go flush into the door jamb. They overlap the quarter panel at the latch pillar but are flush at the hinge pillar. A 1/8” space is usual. Best results are an even overlap from top to bottom.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:39 AM   #3
springerpete

Oldbluoval: Thanks for your reply. Your is what I thought. How's the view from up there ? Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
My doors appear fine on my car. They close tightly, stay closed while driving and do not rattle. They open/close easily. Today I met a roadster owner who commented that, when shut tight, the door skin sticks out 1/8" - 3/16" beyond the body skin at the rear of the door top and bottom. Fronts are even. Is this usual ? Just wondering. I plan on driving as they are. Bill
This is going to be confusing but Bill is correct Bill. This also goes deeper than what Bill told you Bill.

Most people do not realize that reproduction doors are not spot-welded when the skin is installed onto the inner structure. That is done so the bodyman can fit the doors to the quarters before final welding. Additionally, two other things affect the fit of the door in relation to the quarter panel. The tack rail (A-40810/11/12) is often not made correctly so the body width is not correct ...which can cause the door to generally be loose or tight in the overlap. And, -my experiences has been where the commercially-available Quarter Lock Pillar (A-41253/4) wood is shaped incorrectly which causes the shape of the jamb area on the quarter panel to be an incorrect shape. You couple all of those minor issues together and it causes fitment issues as you are describing.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #5
rotorwrench

The quarter panels don't have a lot of vertical stability designed into them on open cars and cars like the Sport Coupe that have a non folding soft top. Owners of the wood bodied Cabriolets have to keep the measurements of body width in mind when replacing wood members. A body can get warped due to hard use or chassis/frame damage. Any change in the vertical dimension of the door jam area can have an affect on the door fit.

The description of the OP's roadster door fit really seems to be close to the normal range. I've seen worse.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote