Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #41
cas3

Default Re: 8rt bellhousing

any carb will work, just so you get vacuum to the distributor. 59 style pumps , the belt will hit the distributor. 8ba pickup pumps will get what you want, to fit your test stand. note there are some that have a higher mounting pad for the motor mounts. you need the ones that mount low, near the water outlet, like a 59 style
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #42
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
any carb will work, just so you get vacuum to the distributor.
Not sure where you came up with that idea, but just any carb will NOT work!!! It has to be a carb designed for an 8ba engine. Manifold (or any other) vacuum source WILL NOT WORK.

You are using the 8ba distributor, correct? If it is using a crab distributor then the vacuum can be manifold vacuum.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #43
cas3

good to know ! i would have thought vacuum is vacuum, controlled by throttle plate position. how are folks running 97's on 8ba distributors?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #44
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
good to know ! i would have thought vacuum is vacuum, controlled by throttle plate position. how are folks running 97's on 8ba distributors?
They can't without modifying the distributer. A common modification is the use of a Chevy distributer. The Ford 8ba distributer does not have any advance weights and works on only the vacuum. The carb source is designed to work with the distributer.

UNDERSTANDING THE LOAD-A-MATIC FULL VACUUM DISTRIBUTORS
JIM LINDER “BUBBAS Hot Rod Shop” www.bubbashotrodshop.com

Ford made the “load-a’matic (full vacuum) distributor from 1949 until 1957 on most of their engines . This distributor is very much mis-understood by many owners etc.
The load a matic works by adding spark advance thru a vacuum chamber using vacuum differential at the carburetor.This vacuum signal from the carb is very low with advance typically starting at ½ inch of vacuum and being full advance at 2 inchs of vacuum.
The slightest change in the engine vacuum makes this unit become a problem and not supply the correct signal. A carb change is the most common problem making this unit not work. Twin carbs, a camshaft change also makes the unit become inoperative. I have talked to many owners with the vacuum line disconnected with complaints of engine overheating ( retarded ignition timing) and a poor running engine.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #45
GB SISSON

But the engine should start and run with the 59 ab type carb? I just ran up to the house to find out the firing order, it wants to start but is backfiring thru carb and exhaust. I should have firing order carved into a post in the shop as I'l always checking it on new start ups....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #46
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yep
Old 01-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #47
GB SISSON

Well, it roared to life sitting on a couple of blocks and wedges that I secured under it. Runs real smooth but wont idle too well yet. Not sure how long it's been sitting, but it is totally alive now. Gonna put some water in it tomorrow and run it a bit more. My wife got some start up pics but I forgot to put the cf card in the camera. I will put an oil pressure guage on it and also do a compression check. I know the oil pump works because the lid on the oil filter was just hand tight and the oil came out with good force. Thanks for all the help here. A successful day indeed!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #48
GB SISSON

A pic from this morning. It varies between 25 and 50 psi oil pressure with rpms. Still d idn't get water in it so just very short runs. I DID however find a decent looking 8ba type carb in a milk crate in my shop's attic. Can't wait to try it out after work tomorrow. The fuel tank support fits neatly into the head's water outlet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tonandhalf and 8ba 008.jpg (49.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-12-2016, 04:54 AM   #49
flatheadmurre

Poor some water in it or take of the belt to the pumps.
They dont like being ran dry.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #50
Walt Dupont--Me.

I think you ought to pattern that gas tank, I think it's cool, is that branch off an Oak tree? lol Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #51
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
I think you ought to pattern that gas tank, I think it's cool, is that branch off an Oak tree? lol Walt
Willow... it was lying on the ground under the tree and I snapped it over my knee to length, just like when we were kids.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #52
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Did you check the fuel pressure?
Old 01-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #53
GB SISSON

Surprisingly it checked out almost exactly the same as my Model AA.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #54
moefuzz

GB,
It took a bit to figure out what your picture of the starter plate was.

The picture shows what I think is a SBF starter plate but the way you have
it oriented on the engine places it 145 degrees out of phase as well as it
is placed on the block with its actual transmission 'face' placed to the
block.

I took your pic, corrected it to orient the top side as well as flipped the
pic horizontally in order to show correct placement against an engine
block -just as is the case in your pic.

Although the general shape varies some what, the 'tell' will be in the top
bolt spacing.

moe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORD bellhousings BOLT SPACING.jpg (44.2 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by moefuzz; 01-13-2016 at 03:14 PM.
moefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #55
GB SISSON

Maybe that plate came from a '58 f1 panel I had. The po switched it to a 4 speed on the floor from a 3 speed. Engine was a 223 six. Like most panel trucks when dragged home, the back was full of unmarked 'stuff'.