Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
Ramblin Reck

Default 1939 Ford Deluxe Vert STUCK in Reverse

Went out to drive my ride yesterday and she is stuck in Reverse ! Cannot put it into first second or third. Can't get it out of Reverse. Need help.
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
marko39

Default Re: 1939 Ford Deluxe Vert STUCK in Reverse

You could try rocking the car to remove any load present but you may have to remove trans. top to free it and see if anything looks wrong. Problem may be in shift tower if you're lucky.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
rotorwrench

There may be a problem such as a bent 1st/Reverse shift fork or something going on with the shift detent for the 1st/Rev fork inside the shift tower. A check of the pin that holds the shift lever in the ball socket may also be in order but be careful not to let it drop into the transmission since it may be loose.

There could be a problem with the 1st/Rev slider gear or the Reverse idler gear but that should be evident if the shift tower is removed.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
Ramblin Reck

I got excellent help and advice from VanPelt Sales LLC in Batavia, OH. 513-724-9486
They will rebuild my tower if need be. Tip of the hat to John V in St Augustine.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Reck View Post
I got excellent help and advice from VanPelt Sales LLC in Batavia, OH. 513-724-9486
They will rebuild my tower if need be. Tip of the hat to John V in St Augustine.

So with the help from Mac VP, were you able to get the transmission out of reverse? Did you remove the shift tower and find something wrong with that, or does Mac just feel your problem is definitely in the shift tower based on your verbal description given over the phone? I'm just curious....

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:30 PM   #6
ssffnomad

That little tiny pin that holds the shift lever in the ball. Makes me really nervous ��.
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #7
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
So with the help from Mac VP, were you able to get the transmission out of reverse? Did you remove the shift tower and find something wrong with that, or does Mac just feel your problem is definitely in the shift tower based on your verbal description given over the phone? I'm just curious....

Removed the shift tower and found the Low and Reverse gear shifter had gotten out of alignment some how and was relatively easily popped back into place. Replaced tower and all is well that ends well. Don't know "How " that happened. Perhaps just old and worn out after 82 years of use and abuse. I will be gentler with the shifter henceforth! Still nice to know Van Pelt is there for these kinds of problems.
"It the spherical tip of the shift lever gets worn down, it can slip out of the groove and lock up." PER ROTORWRENCH

Last edited by Ramblin Reck; 10-03-2021 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Explain the situation better
Old 10-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #8
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssffnomad View Post
That little tiny pin that holds the shift lever in the ball. Makes me really nervous ��.
Stretch

Me too! But it wasn't the issue nor did we have to take the cover off of the 1/2 ball. Van Pelt suggested that if we had to remove the screw on cover, it is best to take the tower off of the Tranny and use a workbench on which to perform that operation. Good to know for future reference
Old 10-01-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Removed the shift tower and found the Low and Reverse gear shifter had gotten out of alignment some how and was relatively easily popped back into place. Replaced tower and all is well that ends well. Don't know "How " that happened. Perhaps just old and worn out after 82 years of use and abuse. I will be gentler with the shifter henceforth! Still nice to know Van Pelt is there for these kinds of problems.

I am trying VERY HARD, to imagine just how it can be possible for that shifting fork to jump out of that huge groove, and suddenly be "out of alignment". You say it did....and I can't dispute what you found. I just can't imagine THAT happening at all, much less while easing the car into the garage from the previous drive. But what do I know? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #10
rotorwrench

It the spherical tip of the shift lever gets worn down, it can slip out of the groove and lock up. A person may want to check that shift lever and the fork slots if it continues to slip out.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #11
SSsssteamer

If it were mine, I would rebuild the shift tower before the shifter slips out again and leaves you stranded in never, never land.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:09 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
What's the history on this transmission? Was it out of the car sometime in its recent past for repairs/rebuild by you or a previous owner? Or was the shifter top removed recently for some reason, prior to this latest problem?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #13
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
What's the history on this transmission? Was it out of the car sometime in its recent past for repairs/rebuild by you or a previous owner? Or was the shifter top removed recently for some reason, prior to this latest problem?

Have no clue and no one to ask. Bought it from a Model A Buff who thought he would have it restored but decide NOPE, too much money and too lengthy of a process. The previous owner went to the great motor pool in the sky.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #14
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
If it were mine, I would rebuild the shift tower before the shifter slips out again and leaves you stranded in never, never land.

That is a good idea. Going to see on Monday if I can buy a rebuilt shifter from Van Pelt. I could send him mine and that way my down time would be minimized. He said I could do it but there is one tricky part to a rebuild which needs a special tool or jig for lining up too slots which went right over my head. But you are correct in that if it did it once it will do it again. I know how to fix now and have AAA. But still I would like to have reliability and dependability. Thanks
Old 10-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #15
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It the spherical tip of the shift lever gets worn down, it can slip out of the groove and lock up. A person may want to check that shift lever and the fork slots if it continues to slip out.

Me thinks you nailed it, ("Dead on Balls Accurate") and that is exactly what happened as I remember watching my more experienced friend push that spherical tip back over into position. Thanks for using the proper terminology which helps me better to explain what went wrong. Not sure I completely understand the fork slots you refer to here. Are these slots in the transmission or in the shifter? Thanks
Old 10-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #16
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I am trying VERY HARD, to imagine just how it can be possible for that shifting fork to jump out of that huge groove, and suddenly be "out of alignment". You say it did....and I can't dispute what you found. I just can't imagine THAT happening at all, much less while easing the car into the garage from the previous drive. But what do I know? DD

I think Roto Wrench "s'plains" it better than I do. See his comment below.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #17
Ramblin Reck

Quote:

I THINK THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED........"It the spherical tip of the shift lever gets worn down, it can slip out of the groove and lock up." PER ROTORWRENCH Turning the shift lever upside down, the two spherical tips got intertwined and were easily "Unlocked" using finger pressure. Hope this explains it.