Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
jamar1905

Default engine

engine will not make a complete revolution when turning by hand it goes to the bottom and stops
jamar1905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: engine

We need more info. Bottom of what? Is this a new rebuild? Have you had the starter off recently? Is the car running? And many more questions...

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
jamar1905

Angry Re: engine

no this is not a rebuild.......... but just out of the blue...the engine will not make a full revolution............and it was before.......it turned over several times with the starter........then I left it set for a couple weeks and then I tried to roll the engine over by hand and it goes to a certain point and will not go any further...........thanks for your reply.......james
Old 12-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Patrick L.

Have you tried removing the sparklers to see if there is water in a cylinder or some other such thing ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
jamar1905

also this car has not been started as of yet trying to get everything done so I can put some gas in it and see what happens...... when I got the car the engine rolled over by hand
Old 12-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I'd remove the spark plugs right away and see if it will crank over by hand. If it will then spin it over with the starter to see if any water comes out. You need to get the water out ASAP and get some oil on the cylinders to prevent rust.

Where do you live? Maybe it's ice in there?

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 12-01-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
James Rogers

Sounds like a hydro-lock. Pull the plugs and see if there is water in one of the cylinders.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

Soumds like a valve stuck closed. If this is the case, the engine would turn until the cam lobe reached the lifter on the valve that is stuck closed and then would stop.The engine could then be turned the other direction until the cam lobe backed up to the lifter on the valve that is stuck and stop again. With the plugs out, you should be able to back the engine up by hand with the fan belt. It could be most anything. With the info that is given, this is my best guess. Stuck valves are common when engines sit up for long periods.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-01-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
jamar1905

Wink Re: engine

yes this seems exactly what is happening
Old 12-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
jamar1905

now how do I unstick the valve.........james
Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

If this is the case, the next step will be to remove the valve cover an d try and determine which valve is stuck. It may also be necessary to remove the manifold assy and spray penetrant on the valve stem that is stuck, through the port. If you have a valve spring comprsser tool, you can compress the valve spring and carefully clamp the valve stem with vise grips. With good penetrant and a little working the valve back and forth the valve should unstick. I have used this method.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

I also thought about a stuck valve until you mentioned the engine turned over fine a couple weeks ago. A valve shouldn't stick that quickly. I bought a Renault Douphine at an auction about 20 years ago, and it has a stuck valve. Soak the stuck valve with Kroil and wait and tap. I worked on a Wisconsin V4 on a swather with a stuck valve. They were famous for sticking valves over the winter. I found out you don't force a stuck valve on the Wisconsin V4 or you'll snap the cam.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

My old Massey Harris with a Continental engine would get stuck valves in a short while. I've had model A engines get stuck valves pretty quick after running ethanol gas. If a valve is stuck closed, you don't tap on the head of the valve, you've got to work from the bottom . Some tap on the head of a stuck open valve through a plug hole. You may also have some stuck open valves but a stuck open valve won't stop the engine from turning over. Model A cams are forged and there is no danger of breaking the cam.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

On severe stuck valves, Claude heats the stem, through the port with a propane torch & quenches them with penetrating oil spray. It may take several tries. Bill W.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Yes, I didn't think about the ethanol crap gas sticking the valves, but have had it happen to me also. I used some stale crap gas in my motorbike and two days later the intake valve was stuck open so hard that I had to use Kroil and some pretty hard hits with a hammer to get it back down, and this happened just 2 days after running the bike.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yes, I didn't think about the ethanol crap gas sticking the valves, but have had it happen to me also. I used some stale crap gas in my motorbike and two days later the intake valve was stuck open so hard that I had to use Kroil and some pretty hard hits with a hammer to get it back down, and this happened just 2 days after running the bike.
Tom,
Tom,
Years ago at the dealer, the owner of a Datsun B210, with 12,000 miles, changed all his fluids to Amsoil Products & added 2 (TWO!) cans of gas additive! Next morning, clack, clang, & NO START!
Apparently it liquified the varnish in the guides & when it cooled, it hardened & stuck & BENT a bunch of valves!! (NO! it wasn't covered by WARRANTY)
Bill W.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
jamar1905

Thanks to all of guys for your help tomorrow I will take the valve cover off and see what it looks like.....I will post my findings...............thanks James
Old 12-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
James Rogers

I would remove the plugs first. No gasket and it would be easier.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote