Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Zeke...PA

Default Flywheel update

Here's what I have come up with, the crankshaft flange size (depth) is the same on my 37 and 8BA flywheels the flange depth is 5/16". On the 8BA they used a spacer of .040 between crank flange and flywheel. the 37 had a 9" three fingered pressure plate bolted inside the P/P side flange and 9" clutch disc. The 8BA had a 10" six fingered pressure plate bolted on flange and a 9"clutch disc. I assume the spacer was for the starter drive.. I guess I should try to find a flat Pressure plate side flywheel and pressure plate. 37 flywheel is the one bead blasted. Zeke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flywheel 013.jpg (49.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg flywheel 014.jpg (54.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg flywheel 015.jpg (38.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg flywheel 016.jpg (62.9 KB, 23 views)
Zeke...PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
33cabriolet

Default Re: Flywheel update

It looks like you have two early flywheels the pressure plate looks like a very early one. to know if you have an 48 or earlyier flywheel is by the ring gear,the early one has a smaller inside diameter,the plate goes on the outside of the flywheel not between the crank and flywheel. The back of the 49 and later is almost flat the earlier flywheel has a relief machined in it and is about 1\4 inch farther away from the block,the starter will not work properly if early and late don't match the mounting .
John
33cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Terry,OH

Default Re: Flywheel update

as posted above the thin plate is placed on the pressure plate side of the flywheel just under the flywheel mounting bolt heads. the pressure plate shown is not typical of 37 it is earlier style. The 37 style is the three finger type. IMHO DO NOT run a 10" pressure plate with a 9" clutch. the two have to be the same size. 9" is typical for 37 and should hold up well in any stock old ford flathead. If the 8BA is warmed up you may want to go to the 10" but be aware it takes extra effort to depress the clutch pedal with the larger PP & C. If your running a 8BA the flywheel can be drilled and tapped to accept the 9" PP & C since they have different bolt patterns.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote