Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2022, 06:47 PM   #21
scicala

Default Re: Fuel routing. This can't be correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
Using the Purolater Facet electric fuel pump eliminates the need for a regulator as it is solid state and is self regulating to the design pressure you purchase. Also, Teflon tape on fuel line fittings is not recommended as small pieces of Teflon tape can get into the fuel system.
Teflon tape contamination only happens when you don't take care and make sure you don't overlap the tape over the edge of the fitting threads. Also it's only meant to be used on tapered pipe threads. I've seen many use it on straight threads. That's when I think it can contaminate.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #22
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
What's the point of the electric pump if not for priming or clearing vapor lock? I have no idea what the thought process is there. I'm not trying to be crass but I would ditch all that junk and use a mechanical pump. It worked in 1940, why wouldn't it work in 2022?
Seth, sound like you may be an adherent of the KISS theory (Keep It Simple Stupid.) I certainly am.

I put a fuel pressure regulator on my car because when I bought it the mechanical fuel pump put out zero PSI and I had to use the electric fuel pump to go down the road. The 6V fuel pump put out too much pressure for the Holley 94 carb, gasoline everywhere. At the time it seemed less expensive to add a fuel pressure regulator than rebuild or replace the mechanical pump. In hindsight, maybe not true, but that's what I did at the time.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:39 PM   #23
mkcharlie

Brother Blucar;
You wrote "Looking at your picture leads me to believe that you are over thinking the whole situation."
Actually, I purchased the car this-a-way and obviously didn't think about it enough. This is my first classic car purchase and I confess to rooky fever. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever over thought anything mechanical. Now guitar playing and bowhunting, yes. Yes indeed! ha
mkcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:47 PM   #24
mkcharlie

To respond to comment re. posting pictures of the vehicle, here's some;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40Washed.jpg (109.3 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 40Cassie1.jpg (48.3 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 40Inside.jpg (75.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 40SideMe.jpg (84.6 KB, 171 views)
Old 11-28-2022, 11:28 PM   #25
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcharlie View Post
To respond to comment re. posting pictures of the vehicle, here's some;

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #26
blucar

Quote:
Brother Blucar;
You wrote "Looking at your picture leads me to believe that you are over thinking the whole situation."
Actually, I purchased the car this-a-way and obviously didn't think about it enough. This is my first classic car purchase and I confess to rooky fever. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever over thought anything mechanical. Now guitar playing and bowhunting, yes. Yes indeed! ha

OK, I stand corrected... Whom ever installed the electric fuel pump in the car did not follow tried and true procedures for a full/part time system. I am a long time believer in the KISS Principle...
It is quite amazing how often threads about installing an electric fuel pump come up on the Barn..
Old 11-29-2022, 07:21 PM   #27
aussie merc

MK charlie lets just keep it simple to start with just reverse the flow thru the pressure reg ensure its at 3-4 psi and it should be happy As time goes by read some of the previous posts and threads about this subject on here [theres lots of em] and then work out what you need to do to suit you and that is one sweet looking ride!!!! enjoy it
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:37 PM   #28
GB SISSON

Goldangit there Mr. MKCharlie.... You certainly made a grand entrance with that gorgeous vehicle. Get that plumbing turned around, put some George Strait on the philco (motorola?) and take your best girl there for a spin around town. I don't know or care what is original for a '40 interior, but that is stunning.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:05 AM   #29
Pech33

It’s got neckin’ knob too, sweet.
Pech33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:56 PM   #30
mkcharlie

Well. here it is Wed. Wife and I fighting bad colds, but snuck out to the garage - a little Sunday night, a little last night and by golly by high noon today, It's all re-plumbed. And it seems to be all good. Car drives great. Idles smoothly and seems to have better power too. The pressure gauge reads between 4 and 5 lbs but I don't know if it is really an accurate instrument so am going to have it checked with a professional grade instrument that my friend has to be certain. No leaks, no gasoline smell, life is good. Posting pic of the re-routed set-up. Thanks to y'all for your advice and help.

Now to work on the windshield wipers. I feel another thread coming on.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FuelRtFinal.jpg (55.9 KB, 82 views)
Old 11-30-2022, 10:01 PM   #31
GB SISSON

Vacuum wipers suck.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:18 PM   #32
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Vacuum wipers suck.....
Much like the door to door vacuum cleaner salesman in a sales slump. Goes out for a drink with another door to door vacuum cleaner salesman. Asks his buddy, "how are sales going?" Buddy replies, "well sales lately have sucked but business is picking up." (insert groan here)
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:18 PM   #33
petehoovie

Quote:
Well. here it is Wed. Wife and I fighting bad colds, but snuck out to the garage - a little Sunday night, a little last night and by golly by high noon today, It's all re-plumbed. And it seems to be all good. Car drives great. Idles smoothly and seems to have better power too. The pressure gauge reads between 4 and 5 lbs but I don't know if it is really an accurate instrument so am going to have it checked with a professional grade instrument that my friend has to be certain. No leaks, no gasoline smell, life is good. Posting pic of the re-routed set-up. Thanks to y'all for your advice and help.

Now to work on the windshield wipers. I feel another thread coming on.....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:47 AM   #34
ford38v8

That sure is a plumber's nightmare, but it ought to work for you if you crank down that regulator to less than 3 lbs max. Even still, you've got high pressure going to your mechanical pump, not a good setup there, as a diaphram failure will quickly fill your crank case with fuel.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:38 AM   #35
mkcharlie

ford38v8, Thanks for your comment. One question; You said "crank down that regulator" etc. I didn't know the regulator could be adjusted. Can you give me some more info as to how I can do that? I'm still getting 4-5 lbs. Thanks so much!
Old 12-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #36
glennpm

The stud on top, bottom in your case. Screw it "out" to decrease pressure.

"5. The regulator comes from Holley with the regulator pressure preset (see table). However, for individual requirements, it may be readjusted. Loosening the regulator locknut and turning the adjustment screw clockwise increases the pressure.
Decrease pressure by turning the adjustment screw counter-clockwise.

WARNING! TURNING THE ADJUSTMENT SCREW ALL THE WAY IN WILL RESULT IN EXCESSIVE FUEL PRESSURE AND CAUSE THE CARBURETOR TO FLOOD. A FLOODED CARBURETOR CAN CAUSE A FIRE AND/OR EXPLOSION RESULTING IN PROPERTY DAMAGE, SERIOUS INJURY, AND/OR DEATH. ALWAYS USE A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE BETWEEN THE REGULATOR AND THE CARBURETOR(S) WHEN ADJUSTING THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR."

Glenn
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Holley FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR 12-804.pdf (633.8 KB, 9 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote