Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2022, 12:00 PM   #21
cadillac512

Default Re: Opinion wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by theriddler56 View Post
Tony,
What cam would you recommend? You stated I would be unhappy with this one.

Stephen

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb and predict Tony will recommend the Kiwi L100. (likely a very nice choice too!)

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #22
theriddler56

Send a message via Yahoo to theriddler56

Gramps,
Why don’t you think the rear will last/work?
theriddler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 04:33 PM   #23
Ol' Ron

The first problem is the T-5 doesn't adapt to the torque tube, and the axles won't like the 296. However it can be done$$$$$$!
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #24
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The first problem is the T-5 doesn't adapt to the torque tube, and the axles won't like the 296. However it can be done$$$$$$!
Gramps
I understand that I may be tempting fate, but my rear took a summer's worth of abuse and so far my banjo rear has held up to my 292 ci motor. I do not baby it.

It was rebuilt with NOS axles, good bearings, etc. and the hubs have been lapped to the tapers to perfection.

The skinny bias ply tires help I believe since they'll spin before they'll grip.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:17 PM   #25
KiWinUS

Quote:
Tony,
What cam would you recommend? You stated I would be unhappy with this one.

Stephen
Well I am slightly biased but for many reasons along with so many happy customers I would absolutely put a KiWi-L100 in that build.
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:19 PM   #26
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
I'm going to go WAY out on a limb and predict Tony will recommend the Kiwi L100. (likely a very nice choice too!)

Terry
That’s Terry. Great call. 😁
Old 11-19-2022, 05:20 PM   #27
tubman

It will probably be alright with a light car, skinny tires, and a large dose of maturity.

When I was a kid, Ford transmissions lasted an average of two or three months. The last one has gone 38 years.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:24 PM   #28
theriddler56

Tony,
I understand you are biased, BUT give me a reason why. Is yours better idle, low end, more power at top end. What are the specs between yours and the ones shown on the cam card.

Stephen
Old 11-19-2022, 06:31 PM   #29
theriddler56

Gramps,
I have modified the bells to accept Granada 28 spline axles, machined diff for side gears. I have two options for open driveline either use the ring and pinion and open Drive parts from a p/u or purchase a conversion for a 10 spline ring & pinion setup.

Stephen
Old 11-19-2022, 09:31 PM   #30
KiWinUS

Quote:
Tony,
I understand you are biased, BUT give me a reason why. Is yours better idle, low end, more power at top end. What are the specs between yours and the ones shown on the cam card.

Stephen
L100 loppey hot rod idle. The following is based on feedback from some of the over 300 purchasers in 19 countries. Great idle pulls hard from down low to 5000+ very forgiving in wide range of vehicles from light to heavy. Street car to race cars. Good gas mileage. Fun to drive.
Ol’Ron had one in a 4200lb ambulance and bragged on how it ran.
A big difference in your cam and most of your “Name Brand” cams is they are “single” pattern cams where the intake lobe is the same as the exhaust lobe. The L100 is a “Dual” pattern cam. Intake lobe different to exhaust lobe. The number I have shipped speaks for itself. Cheers. Tony
Old 11-20-2022, 12:30 AM   #31
Ol' Ron

yes, for many reasons the L-100 would be a better choice . Now lets look at the T-5 into a stock banjo rear axle. Converting the Banjo to open drive isn't too expensive f after market axles is a bige improvement , So you've accomplished the installation quite well. I would go to a junk yard and buy a rear axle from a jeep Gran Cherokee spicer 44 with 3.73 gears and a Posi, for less money than the axles. Money does solve most problems and most of the projects we build usually work. In my case I worked on a limited budget And be completive with others that had more funds. I'll admit the money usually won, But Iwas there having fun.
Gramps
PS
stay tuned for the "Best intake for street and strip"
Old 11-20-2022, 08:16 AM   #32
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Gramps,
I have modified the bells to accept Granada 28 spline axles, machined diff for side gears. I have two options for open driveline either use the ring and pinion and open Drive parts from a p/u or purchase a conversion for a 10 spline ring & pinion setup.

Stephen
Hi Stephen
Your rear axle upgrades will survive a lot of abuse when you decide to use the power of your flathead. In all my Hot Rods and my very fast record setting Land Speed Race Car I use exactly the same parts your going to use the 28 spline axles and modified side gears and the carrier modified to accept the drop in gears. There still is one weak link left in the conversion it has to do with the ring gear wanting to climb off the pinion under hard use that being side stepping the clutch or at times banging gears. Skinny rear tires will help eliminate this ring gear and pinion issue.
So to help in all my builds I simply add a ring gear snubber this snubber holds the pinon from climbing the pinion under extreme use. My roadster is my daily driver in the good weather powered by a very healthy supercharged ARDUN I'm always beating on the car the six spline Halibrand with the ring gear snubber has survived a lot of abuse. My race car has the same modification the ring gear snubber keeps the ring gear from climbing at well over 200 MPH with 230 axle gear ratio.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:12 AM   #33
Ol' Ron

Ron, do you use the tapered axles on the Bville car? Yes, we uses a bronz pinion snubber on all our race cars, however we used 3/4 ton axles.
G
Old 11-20-2022, 12:48 PM   #34
theriddler56

Pete,
I am using a crab with Petronix. Are you suggesting using a MSD for the capacitor discharge or are you suggesting something entirely different?
Old 11-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #35
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Ron, do you use the tapered axles on the Bville car? Yes, we uses a bronz pinion snubber on all our race cars, however we used 3/4 ton axles.
G
Hi Ron
No for the Bonneville race car I use Ford 28 spline style drop in axles Currie custom makes them to the length I need. For my Deuce roadster and my wife's Deuce five window I use stock Ford 28 spline axles. I even use the bearing / backing plate axle housing ends from the eight inch rear and also the drop in side gears. To fit the Ford eight inch axle housing ends into the cut off banjo axle housings I use my big Southbend lath to machine the banjo housings so the Ford ends slip fit into the banjo tubes. Some back yard Hotrod engineering.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 11-20-2022, 01:01 PM   #36
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Pete,
I am using a crab with Petronix. Are you suggesting using a MSD for the capacitor discharge or are you suggesting something entirely different?
Pertronix makes a capacitive discharge box called Second strike its light years ahead of the MSD. The Pertronix second strike continues all the way to red line. The MSD falls off around 3 thousand RPM. Another bonus of the Pertronix is its amp draw per 1000 RPM is a lot less then the MSD.
Ronnieroadster
Old 11-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #37
Pete

Quote:
Pete,
You should use whatever works for you that gives you the performance you need.
We use mags on all of our engines except 4 bangers where we use Jacobs computer type with a RotoFaze distributor.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote