Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2022, 01:19 AM   #1
tomcarman

Default Opinions on an asymmetrical lift

I recognize opinions on car lifts are as diverse as what kind of oil to use and I'm looking for advice. I can be a bit long winded so I'll attempt to be brief. My brother may have the opportunity to get a nearly new 2 post Bendpak 9000lb asymmetrical lift for a great price from a close friend. New I see they're over 5K. Apparently the owner recently bought it and decided it wasn't right for his needs and wants to go a different direction and will let it go for $1200. We would use it for lifting my avatar 5W, the '32 3W and perhaps a few other modern vehicles, all for work or general maintenance. It would not be used for double stacking storage of vehicles. The question is has anyone had experience with an asymmetrical lift and if so any advice? It's getting impossible to crawl around under a car and get back up again.
Thanks,
Tom
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 02:23 AM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Opinions on an asymmetrical lift

my opinion; I've got a two post hoist and I LOVE it!! I can't understand why I didn't get one years ago. In my opinion, a 2 post hoist is better than a 4 post hoist because one can more easily perform brake repairs for example
Old 11-12-2022, 03:01 AM   #3
69a

I went for a 4 post because I couldn't open the front door wide enough to get the floor pan out.
If I need the wheels off the ground I raise the car up, put my axle stands underneath and lower the hoist 'till the wheels are just off the hoist.
69a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:14 AM   #4
3739ford

I just purchased a used Asymmetrical lift and have not installed yet. From what I can tell the Asymmetrical Lift allows the vehicle to open/close the door better while getting in/out. The vehicle does not set as far forward and as long as you are not doing crew cab diesel trucks with 8-foot beds or flatbed trucks you will be fine. Be sure to position the wheel spotter correctly on the floor and it will save a lot of time positioning the vehicle.
3739ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:28 AM   #5
solidaxle

$1,200.00 I'd run to the bank.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:51 AM   #6
T Scott

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
With the two post you will still be crawling around on the floor to adjust the lifting pads. The integrity of the floor it's bolted to is also a consideration. I have and prefer a Bendpak four post. However, at $1200 I'd buy it!
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:00 AM   #7
rockfla

I have one in my shop, same lift, different brand and paid more for mine used…,so IF you don’t buy it let me know and I will and install another lift in my shop. As others have stated, you just don’t know how bad things were until you get a lift and you look back and say “man, how did I ever do what I did without a lift!”. I Try and lift the “V8’s” at the “X” junctions of the frame on my lift, seems to work best for me. Just an FYI, IF you try and use it for lifting and engine (or a Drill/mill off a trailer). Be sure and use BOTH arms, you cannot just put pressure on one arm/cylinder!!! Ask me how I know. Otherwise is will push oil out of the “UN-used” cylinder!! As for using it as a poster above in conjunction with Jack stands, I have never seen the need for that AS the lift has safety locks as it goes up, I always lift mine up high enough to clear the safety lock where I want it THEN lower it back down until the safety locks are locked!!! Works perfectly fine and one less step to deal with. PM me if you like or need with any other questions you may want to ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F286A887-E0A9-4744-9900-82028D97D993.jpg (60.0 KB, 45 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:32 AM   #8
Bored&Stroked

That is a heck of a good deal and a BendPak is a really well built lift (I have one). I use it for a LOT of tasks that most don't even think about. It is by far the best device to drop an engine/trans into one of our cars (I just bring the two rear legs together at the middle and put a chain through the post holes.

I'd run and get that just as soon as you can - once you have one, you'll never even ponder looking at a "creeper" ever again! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:37 AM   #9
tubman

The floor is important. I was stuck on whether to get a two-post or four-post lift. When I checked the specs on my floor, I found it was not thick enough to adequately anchor a two-post unit. Modifying the floor properly would have more than doubled the installed cost, so I settled for a four-post. The "jack tray" is very handy and I am contemplating getting another so I can get all four wheels off of the ramps.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #10
ssffnomad

Go get it home .
Today
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:37 AM   #11
Abcarswell

I have a Challenger two post lift and it is great. You do have to get on the floor to adjust the lifting pads but the easy access to wheels/brakes/suspension makes it worth the trade off. I use it for my 34 Fordor, 24 TT (had to get extra wide lifting pads to accommodate the narrow frame), and all of my more modern cars/trucks. I wouldn’t have a shop without one now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6ACDF33C-17CB-4538-A8CA-5D590A53C96F.jpeg (111.1 KB, 153 views)
Abcarswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:53 AM   #12
deuce_roadster

Tom, do you know how thick the concrete is where you are going to install it, is it reinforced? As others have said, that is a very good bargain and if you can't use it, could probably double your money.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:22 PM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcarswell View Post
I have a Challenger two post lift and it is great. You do have to get on the floor to adjust the lifting pads but the easy access to wheels/brakes/suspension makes it worth the trade off. I use it for my 34 Fordor, 24 TT (had to get extra wide lifting pads to accommodate the narrow frame), and all of my more modern cars/trucks. I wouldn’t have a shop without one now.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:09 PM   #14
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Tom, do you know how thick the concrete is where you are going to install it, is it reinforced? As others have said, that is a very good bargain and if you can't use it, could probably double your money.
Mike,
The concrete is an unreinforced 4" slab on grade. Dad and Doug poured and finished it in '83. At that time Doug drove concrete mixer trucks for a concrete company so he knows exactly what's existing. That being said we wouldn't even mess around with it. We would saw cut holes in it and excavate for a significant spread footing. A little math helps with the engineering. Minimum assumed compressive strength of undisturbed soil is 1500lbs/psi. Assuming 9000 lb lift is fully loaded and to be safe we'd factor in an additional 3000 lbs bringing the total load to 12000 lbs. Since it's 2 post each post would carry 6000 lbs. By providing a new footing of say 18"x18" by a minimum of 12" deep (frostline depth in our area even though it's inside) that would yield a load bearing area of 324 sq. inches. 324 x 1500 psi = a total potential bearing capacity 486,000 psi. By reinforcing the footing with (3) #5 each way bars and imbedding high strength anchor bolts in a hot mix of concrete the load is safely supported. Sounds complicated but in reality it's more labor than anything. We'll see how it works out. Doug is well connected in his circle of friends that need these types of mechanical devices and are constantly buying, selling or horse trading.
Old 11-12-2022, 01:16 PM   #15
rjlester

I bought a used asymmetrical 8000lb lift a few years ago (also for 1200 bucks lol) and I LOVE IT. I've even put my 5500 lb half ton on it and it lifts it with no issues. I like the fact I can open the doors on the car easier than a non-asymmetrical unit. You will not regret getting that hoist. I just turned 50 and while I still keep and use a floor jack in the shop, the hoist gets used ALL THE TIME. Even if I have to do basic engine work, I lift the car up a few inches off the ground to save my back from getting sore.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:16 PM   #16
cadillac512

Asymmetrical lifts work great, and really help with door to lift post opening room. If you're going to fix the floor as you've said, then by all means buy that lift! Great deal.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:04 PM   #17
solidaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Mike,
The concrete is an unreinforced 4" slab on grade. Dad and Doug poured and finished it in '83. At that time Doug drove concrete mixer trucks for a concrete company so he knows exactly what's existing. That being said we wouldn't even mess around with it. We would saw cut holes in it and excavate for a significant spread footing. A little math helps with the engineering. Minimum assumed compressive strength of undisturbed soil is 1500lbs/psi. Assuming 9000 lb lift is fully loaded and to be safe we'd factor in an additional 3000 lbs bringing the total load to 12000 lbs. Since it's 2 post each post would carry 6000 lbs. By providing a new footing of say 18"x18" by a minimum of 12" deep (frostline depth in our area even though it's inside) that would yield a load bearing area of 324 sq. inches. 324 x 1500 psi = a total potential bearing capacity 486,000 psi. By reinforcing the footing with (3) #5 each way bars and imbedding high strength anchor bolts in a hot mix of concrete the load is safely supported. Sounds complicated but in reality it's more labor than anything. We'll see how it works out. Doug is well connected in his circle of friends that need these types of mechanical devices and are constantly buying, selling or horse trading.
Not only do you you have downward weight there is tipping force also. If it were mine I would go bigger on the footing and dowel with rebar to the existing concrete. But I tend to go over board with things.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #18
sugarmaker

Tom,
Sounds like a really good value if it will do the job for you. I just looked at a VERY used 12,000 lb lift, a drive on 20 year old dealer lift. I walked away. It needed a restoration. Very rusty, pulleys and cables did not look good was in a pile on a barn floor.
So went home and called local lift installer, he is going to come and look at my shop and needs.Will probably provide a quote for a Rotary brand two post lift At 12,000 lb capicity. Being different needs than your requirements I think a symetrical lift may be more suited for large trucks in our family, plus some antiques too.
Looking forward to your install and pictures.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-12-2022 at 09:01 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:08 PM   #19
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxle View Post
Not only do you you have downward weight there is tipping force also. If it were mine I would go bigger on the footing and dowel with rebar to the existing concrete. But I tend to go over board with things.
Solid Axle, that is a very important consideration that will be addressed once my brother goes to look at it and gets some numbers off it. Once we determine the model # etc then we can access MFG recommended installation instructions. Also verify condition. For now it's all talk so who knows. My brother is nearing retirement and has been driving and installing underground tanks (primarily septic and water dispersion) for years. (big stuff). One day he stopped by to get something on his way to a job site and I was amazed at his truck. I guess it's called an articulating boom crane and to me it is enormous. Anyway, the crowd he Hobnobs with are truck type people, shop owners, mechanics and such driving and working on big boy toys like this. Too much machine for me. If you wanted to watch me even try and back this up with a trailer attached you'd better pack a lunch. Backing up a trailer is a skill beyond me. If the deal pans out I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks for the input!
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190422_094917.jpg (94.7 KB, 31 views)