Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2023, 10:09 AM   #21
joe 1950

Default Re: Violent shake.

i can relate to the problem had the same thing with my 50 cpe. to make a long story short my flywheel was also surfaced but the first shop that did it put it on a surface grinder after another take down i took it to a well known machine shop that machined in on a milling machine the fellow who did it told me that it was shaped like dinner plate it was concaved in the middle anyway put it all to together and problem solved work’s great good luck
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 10:56 AM   #22
Dick

My '49 had this same thing happening when I got it.
I had 2 NEW miss aligned hub/bearing assemblies.

Final solution was NOS hub and NOS bearing that I assembled making sure the bearing was seated correctly to the hub.

It's been smooth as glass for 3k miles now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2558.JPG (73.5 KB, 366 views)
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:11 PM   #23
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
My '49 had this same thing happening when I got it.
I had 2 NEW miss aligned hub/bearing assemblies.

Final solution was NOS hub and NOS bearing that I assembled making sure the bearing was seated correctly to the hub.

It's been smooth as glass for 3k miles now.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:17 PM   #24
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wilkerson View Post
I don't know the history of the engine. It does run pretty good. Starts with no hesitation. The clutch wasn't oil soaked. I had the flywheel resurfaced.
Earlier in this thread I mentioned pinion angle. Do you think that could cause a shake?
What would cause the pinion angle to change from a stock set up? Have you changed the rear end components?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:14 PM   #25
Terry Wilkerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
What would cause the pinion angle to change from a stock set up? Have you changed the rear end components?
I haven't changed the rear end. A guy just doesn't know what has been done by others in the past.
Terry Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 09:01 PM   #26
Flathead Fever

If everything was done right on the clutch replacement, I'd be looking at the motor and trans mounts.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 02:56 PM   #27
1948F-1Pickup

I went through this chatter deal on the truck. Turned out to be a bunch of small things... all adding up.
-several items in the pedal linkage were worn out or ovalized
-engine mounts needed replacement
-that dinner plate style flywheel wear scenario in post #21..... or something very similar was going on with mine. When I took everything apart for getting the engine rebuilt, I was surprised at how wonky that flywheel/disc/pressure plate interface had become under the previous owner's care or lack thereof.

Last edited by 1948F-1Pickup; 12-26-2023 at 01:43 PM.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 05:55 PM   #28
Terry Wilkerson

A lot of good info here. I'm planning on taking things back apart and check things.
Please keep giving your thoughts and I appreciate it all.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:26 PM   #29
Don T

If you are going to inspect or check pinion angles just be aware the stock 50 uses what is known as a "broken back" system of alignment. If the front u joint angles down the back will also angle down and the angles should match each other. This minimizes driveshaft hump in these cars but stresses the joints as everything moves up and down.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 04:42 PM   #30
Terry Wilkerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
If you are going to inspect or check pinion angles just be aware the stock 50 uses what is known as a "broken back" system of alignment. If the front u joint angles down the back will also angle down and the angles should match each other. This minimizes driveshaft hump in these cars but stresses the joints as everything moves up and down.
Thanks for that info. I've never heard of that.
Old 12-29-2023, 12:33 AM   #31
T Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wilkerson View Post
So to start with I have a 1950 Ford Custom. I have replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and hub. I had the flywheel resurfaced. It also has new u joints.
From a dead stop the car shakes hard. It smoothes out after the car gets moving. It's only on a start. I do hear a mechinacal sound some times when at speed. Any ideas?
"mechanical sound" does not sound good. I would inspect the u joints for play. Slack in the driveline can cause clutch chatter. I had a similar issue that was solved by replacing the u joints.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 02:43 PM   #32
alchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
The concept of two U-joints was only a couple years old for Ford, and they must not have understood how they worked. Maybe now is the time to fix the alignment properly.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:52 PM   #33
Don T

Some mid 60,s Studebakers also used this system. It is not a "wrong" system just a different system to prevent driveline vibration. If the cars suspension heights were messed with; front and or back, it could cause a problem but I am guessing vibration at speed would be more likely.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:49 PM   #34
Terry Wilkerson

So I sent my clutch parts to Fort Wayne Clutch today. A gentleman named Lou is going to check them out. Lou ask me to send the new parts I bought from Shoebox Central. I'll but anything he says is not useable or rebuildable.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:57 PM   #35
Terry Wilkerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
The concept of two U-joints was only a couple years old for Ford, and they must not have understood how they worked. Maybe now is the time to fix the alignment properly.
I am in agreement with alchemy. Seem like correcting the brokeback pinion angle could not hurt.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:07 PM   #36
Terry Wilkerson

Update on Violent Shake. It's fixed. I'd like to thank Dick Mortieay. He helped me figure out that I had a Mis matched group of parts. The car is a 1950 ford custom. Turns out it has a later modle Merc cast bell housing. It did have the 50 ford throughout bearing. The bearing did not fit correctly on the Merc arm. Ultimately I sent the new parts I bought from shoebox central to Fort Wayne Clutch. They did there magic on them and also sent me the correct throughout bearing for the Merc bellhousing. Put it all back together and it's good. Thanks to all for the responses also.