Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #21
Karl

Default Re: Bang!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I had my original 32 V8 radiator re-cored by an outfit out here in Ohio - not super happy about the job (and it cost me $900). They didn't get the top-tank exactly right, had to take it back and have them re-do their work (grill didn't fit right). They fixed it, but it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place and it still isn't as nice as I had hoped.

I'd highly recommend that you send it to somebody who really knows these early radiators - and has the necessary alignment tools/jigs to get the top-tank exactly where it needs to be.

You might consider Brassworks:

http://www.thebrassworks.net/
Thanks International shipping probably makes this option not viable . I will get it done locally however I will be very explicit that they need to get their measurement right for it to fit. I though about upgrading it to 4 core but I want for it to remain stock in terms of fan etc so expect this is not possible. Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #22
KiWinUS

Karl , that sucks !!! Do you need an intake ? I know shipping is a killer but I may have one if you can't find one in NZ.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #23
Talkwrench

Awww crap !!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #24
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Karl , that sucks !!! Do you need an intake ? I know shipping is a killer but I may have one if you can't find one in NZ.
Cheers
Tony
Thanks Tony - I have two both Alloy -they look ok but so did the one I had on there. I'm actually ok for parts my main concern is getting the radiator recored properly . Karl
Old 01-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #25
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Thanks Tony - I have two both Alloy -they look ok but so did the one I had on there. I'm actually ok for parts my main concern is getting the radiator recored properly . Karl
When they take it apart, they should be able to measure the core exactly. What comes into play is how well they assemble and align it prior to the resoldering process. Take some good pictures of exactly how the sides align with the top-bottom tanks -> top-to-bottom and side-to-side. I'd blow these pictures up and give THEM a copy. People think they can remember this stuff - and they can't. Or, the company that makes the cores might be off by 1/2" in one direction or another.

With the pictures, you can tell that it comes back exactly as it went out.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #26
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I could put a new top on your coil if needed .I would make a wood frame to a line the top, core, bracket etc., give that to them .the four core idea has been done up here .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 01-27-2016 at 01:59 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #27
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
I could put a new top on your coil if needed .I would make a wood frame to a line the top, core, bracket etc., give that to them .the four core idea has been done up here .Ted
Thanks Ted -I've removed the coil and have epoxied up what fragments I could find and will epoxy in the gaps. It appears that when Skip does his coils he coats them in a pink rubber compound which is still intact apart from a minor nick So coil should be ok as a spare. The tip on the frame sounds a good idea-Karl
Old 01-28-2016, 11:45 AM   #28
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

looking at your photos Karle it looks like you had a out of balance fan or generator .because of the fresh brake .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #29
Bassman/NZ

Wow, that's bad luck. I have had around two dozen flatheads, and have never seen a manifold fail like that. I've also never seen a gennie sitting on the manifold. Methinks a longer belt is needed.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #30
Karl

Ted- looking at the fan It would appear that the first insult was it threw a blade and the resulting vibration broke the manifold - I wonder looking at the hub if half the fracture line is old but missed any crack on my pre-trip inspection. My replacement fan is currently being crack tested before I use it.

Bassman -The fan belt was replaced recently. It came from one of the parts houses and was sold as the correct fan belt for a 34 with the correct 40- part number and Ford Logo. However it was tight I still had the inch play in it but the generator was as low as it would go to achieve this. I'm sure the fan belt contributed to things.

I have since been told that the fan belt sold is to small but they keep selling them!!! I have since got this forums recommended Gates belt (which when checked is a much better size) and this will go on now. Still planning to get to Art Deco -So hope to catch up with you there -Karl
Old 01-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #31
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Ted- looking at the fan It would appear that the first insult was it threw a blade and the resulting vibration broke the manifold - I wonder looking at the hub if half the fracture line is old but missed any crack on my pre-trip inspection. My replacement fan is currently being crack tested before I use it.

Bassman -The fan belt was replaced recently. It came from one of the parts houses and was sold as the correct fan belt for a 34 with the correct 40- part number and Ford Logo. However it was tight I still had the inch play in it but the generator was as low as it would go to achieve this. I'm sure the fan belt contributed to things.

I have since been told that the fan belt sold is to small but they keep selling them!!! I have since got this forums recommended Gates belt (which when checked is a much better size) and this will go on now. Still planning to get to Art Deco -So hope to catch up with you there -Karl
Sent you a PM with my mobile number. Text me when you come up.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #32
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

You might want to talk to Allan Tutt at Trevor French radiators Otahuhu.
Tel 09 276 9442
Their prices seemed pretty reasonable when I spoke to them a while back.
They advertise in Petrolhead magazine.
Page 82 in the latest issue.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #33
Newc

Hi all; Recently I searched out a '34 manifold for a customer [his was cracked at the gen mount] it is a weak point in the early 2 barrel manifolds. The mount casting is hollow on the underside. Possible reinforcing maybe an idea, when not visible. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #34
Jim76

Yikes!
Jim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 03:44 AM   #35
SUHRsc

deleted, sorry....
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote