Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2005, 12:22 PM   #1

Default Torque tube seal and bushing

Can someone tell me the best way to remove the driveshaft front seal and bushing from the torque tube for a 38 Ford?

Old 03-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #2

Default Re: Torque tube seal and bushing

The parts in the front of the tube are removed by removing the two bolts that hold the speedo gear. Inside the tube is a retaining ring and when that is removed the other parts in the front come right out. The center drive shaft bearing is a little more difficult but if you send an email to [email protected] he will send you detailed info on how to reomve it. G.M.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:29 PM   #3

John, I'm assuming you have already removed the torque tube and all forward parts from the drive shaft. The bushing is normally a split type bushing with the split located at the 6 O'clock position. Carefully drive a prick punch under one side of the split Forcing it upward. When it is lifted high enough the split edges will spring over each other and can then be pulled out without too much effort. If the bushing is not of the split type but rather that of the solid type, you will probably have to take the torque tube to a machine shop where it will have to be heated and pressed out. I have had occasion to change both types. Installing the new split bushing and seal is a piece of cake. Good Luck!

Old 03-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #4

I have the solid type.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #5

My experience with the solids is that they are pressed in so tight I find them impossible to remove without the aid of a machine shop. I have never been able to do it alone. One other thing, John, the solid replacement bushing is no longer available, so you will have to replace it with the split type (#B-4655). Because of the difference in the sizes of the two bushings you will also have to replace the bearing with a larger one (#B-4645). You will still be using the same size grease seal (#B-4245). What a job,huh?