Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2005, 04:20 AM   #1

Default Block ID - again

Got my block stripped down. 59 style used for prewar replacement (3 1/16 bore). Under all the crud and paint on the intake surface, at the back of the block I found these numbers. driver side had 35 in a square box - passenger side has a 61 in a square box. by one of the intake bolt holes was stamped a c. Does any of this stuff mean anything? It's in a 39 Tudor. Thanks, Dannie

Old 03-29-2005, 06:07 AM   #2

Default Re: Block ID - again

Dannie: Maybe I missed it on a previous post, but is there a "59" along with any letters cast on top of the attached bell housing of this block? I may be wrong, but I don’t think you can ID much based on the numbers that appear on the intake manifold surface of this type/year block. John

Old 03-29-2005, 08:08 AM   #3

I assume he is using the term '59-style' somewhat loosely. The 5 in 59 means 1945, further meaning 45-48 engines. Sometimes there is debate on this, but generally 59 engines have 3-3/16 bore, and not 3-1/16. As a general comment, the 3-1/16 means it is Ford (not Merc), and pre-war. (Pre-war Merc's also have 3-3/16)

Old 03-29-2005, 08:28 AM   #4

Dannie...those numbers won't tell us anything these days. They were stamped into the manifold surface of the block by Ford and by rebuilders. The late style (49-53) motors had a build date code in this area, but that didnt start until 1949. The key on your motor is the "59". If you see that in big raised digits on the top of the bell housing part of the block, you definitely have the 1946-48 motor. Normally these were all 3-3/16" bore cylinders, but I know for a fact that Ford also produced these blocks with the smaller 3-1/16" bore for replacement service blocks. I know because I have one!

Think about the times. The war ended in summer of 1945. Ford had prepared for the beginning of car production and was ready to run out the 1946 models for fall. Demand for any new car was incredible, and they were extremely hard to buy unless you had some connections or lots of under the table money to close a deal. Everyone had been running their prewar cars for 4 years (some folks had older models yet) and the motors were frequently worn out. So, it was pretty common for someone to freshen up their old Ford with a new motor. Any new motor block would have been a "59" since that's all Ford produced from the summer of 1945 on until 1948. The motors essentially interchanged with very little modifications. If the customer wanted, he could buy a short block and have his bolt-on stuff (heads, distributor, pumps, intake, exhaust manifolds, etc) transferred over to the new block. I've seen quite a few 59 motors in older Fords set up like that.

<ul>[*]The Flathead Ford V8 Engine site[/list]

Old 03-29-2005, 11:11 AM   #5

Thanks guys. It is apparently one of the replacement blocks for pre-war cars. It does have the 59 cast into the bell housing along with the casting numbers and an X7. I know this block has been in the car since the early 60's. Before that - who knows. Because I have to get it bored anyway, I'll just open it up to 3 3/16 and buy the standard pistons for the 46-48. Dannie

Old 03-29-2005, 11:16 AM   #6

I had one of those blocks with the 59 on the bell and 3-1/16 bore. Put you finger in one of the water holes next to the cyl. feel how thick the wall is. They feel like there 1/2in. thick. I built it for a customer, I wish I'd had kept it. Walt

Old 03-29-2005, 01:04 PM   #7

Walt, I'm curious... I've heard that such an animal does exist. Is/was it marked 59 on the bellhousing? I gotta wonder about other characteristics here, too. Like if it was intended as a pre-war replacement, was the valve angle, and other dimensions like pre-war, or like 59. And, was there ever an issue if early heads were used, as might be done if it was used as a 'replacement' engine.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #8

Years ago we pulled the engine from a 41 Ford. The engine was 3 1/16&quot; bore and had the 59 cast into the bellhousing. The machinist said he ran into them occasionally. It was nothing new to him. There are probably a few still around.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 AM   #9

For what its worth Bob, this motor had &quot;A&quot; heads. Dannie