Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default Hydraulic Brakes

Hello all, I have all the bits and pieces I need to install 1948 Lincoln 'hydrochloric" Brakes on my Modal A but I've heard mixed reports from several people, the opinions of some of whom I respect. Are they better than the originals? I know that originals properly adjusted and maintained work well but do the larger (by 1") drums work better?
I have seen a Model A with a vacuum booster connected to the cross shaft for extra whoa. The owner says it works well with good feel. Is this a good way to go?
My car is a DRIVER so originality is not important Would this be a good way to go for less hassle? I would appreciate informed comments, preferably from those who have installed them. Although I am running original wheels and tyres at the moment, I will be fitting 16" wheels with radial tyres later. I'm hoping that the hydraulic brakes will be good enough to get the benefit that these tyres offer in better braking out of them. I'm not convinced that the original brakes, no matter how well set up would be able to lock the 16" tyres on a dry road.