Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2022, 05:28 PM   #1
jtminor

Default In-line gas line fuel filter

Any suggestion on installing an in-line fuel filter in my 49 F1.

Short of replacing the tank, any other suggestions...
jtminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:08 PM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: In-line gas line fuel filter

Many of us have drained, removed.cleaned and re-sealed the tank with gas tank sealer. It's not an easy job. If you can swing it, I bet a replacement tank is available for your truck. Filters just keep clogging, and at the worst time. I have had some luck with brass or copper screen used like a sock around the pickup tube if your tank uses a top mounted fuel pickup.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:50 PM   #3
aussie merc

if you install one ensure that it is placed before the fuel pump as this will protect pump as well
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:34 PM   #4
fordor41

when I had our '41 ford with electric fuel pump I had a metal cannister filter berfore, after the pump and one small filter on the carb
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #5
cmbrucew

The tank cost @200.00 for my F1, after working on the original for over two years. Rotortissery, chains, nuts and bolts, MEK, still dirty. Ethenol still melts off resin.

Bruce
Old 09-13-2022, 08:08 PM   #6
Jacques1960

Thoughts on the efficacy of the small filters available for glass sediment bowls ?
Old 09-13-2022, 08:38 PM   #7
Lawson Cox

I have one on mine. It filters the gas. The glass bowl just gives something heavy and solid a place to drop into before it gets to the carburetor. It's worth the $5.00 and change for a little peace of mind.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:42 PM   #8
51504bat

Don't use one of these. I had 2 on my '39 p/u and they both leaked where the glass attached to the end fittings. Only lasted a couple of months. Go with a solid metal filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filter.jpg (30.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-13-2022, 10:19 PM   #9
Anteek29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Don't use one of these. I had 2 on my '39 p/u and they both leaked where the glass attached to the end fittings. Only lasted a couple of months. Go with a solid metal filter.
Maybe the ethanol melted the glue over time?
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:23 PM   #10
bobH

Unlike some of the comments, I've had good luck with filters. I've had four cars in recent times (15-20 years), that have had rusty, cruddy tanks. I've cleaned the tanks as best I can. I've fixed a few leaks. Then, I've mounted metal canister-type filters near the tank. And, simply drive them clean (or, sorta clean). I don't believe in the slosh coatings - not willing to take a chance with them not giving trouble, later. On my 47, it came to me with considerable crap coming out of the tank. I never did anything to clean it, but simply put the filter on. After a couple of changes, it settled down, and I never changed the filter again, in over 15 years. On my 34, the tank was quite rusty, and rodents had gotten into it with nest material. I got it as clean as I could, put the filter on, and never gave it another thought. Same thing on a 38 Plymouth. And, currently, I've been messing with another 47, and again, I just put a filter on it. And, unlike the luck that is noted in post #8, this car came with that same glass filter between the pump and carb. I have left that in place, and haven't had any trouble with it. I did replace the end o-rings, sourced from my local parts store. At least temporarily, I like that glass filter in place, so I can monitor what is going through. So far, it looks clean. The metal canister filter that I have used, is a GM filter, suggested by one of the posters on this forum. It's large, and takes the filter element that originally came stock on Ford fuel pumps, in the 60's era. Look at a 66 Ford Mustang fuel pump, for an idea of the size, and the element used. The AC Delco number for this canister filter, is GF62P. And the GM part number is 05651879. Found on-line.
One more 'tidbit'... On the 38 Plymouth, I temporarily used the cheap, plastic, in-line filters, right next to the tank. This is because I made NO effort to clean the tank, and I used these to catch the bulk of the crap, for the first few runs of the car. After three changes of this small, cheap, plastic filter, I simply did not replace it, and resorted to the larger, metal-cased filter. No further problems.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:01 AM   #11
FortyNiner

I installed a filter between the tank and the fuel pump. Unlike others, my rusty tank did not heal itself and continued to put crud into the line. Following many stalling incidents - including a few tows home, I used a POR kit to clean and seal the tank. It has been ~10 years without any issues.

Two points:
Follow the kit instructions exactly.
Be certain to clean or replace the entire line
Old 09-14-2022, 05:55 PM   #12
miniceptor86

I’m not a fan of tank interior coatings. I’ve seen a few failures on motorcycle tanks and getting the old material out is a pain. I don’t want to see one on a 10 to 20 gallon tank. I’ll stick with a filter. I also don’t think multiple filters in series has any benefit. The first one should catch everything and once restricted the next filter in line will not get fuel to filter. Maybe a parallel filter set up where you could switch from the clogged filter to a fresh one.
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:37 PM   #13
jtminor

Ok guys I need your help...
Installed inline filter, new fuel pump, new connector line to pump, gas fills up to the filter, looks OK ... no gas is filling the pump bowl....? What do you think..?
Old 09-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #14
dono50

Send a message via MSN to dono50

I cleaned the rust particles in my 50 ford with magnet (wand type) Removed the fuel sender unit and was able to cover most of the area. Took about an hour but good results. A lot less sediment in the inline filter since then. Work best with a little fuel in the tank.
dono50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #15
FortyNiner

Is the entire line clear?
Old 09-17-2022, 09:09 PM   #16
jtminor

yes all lines open to pump, thinking about putting old pump back on..... just put new pump on a few weeks ago....
Old 09-17-2022, 09:38 PM   #17
FortyNiner

Does the new pump exactly match the old?
Old 09-17-2022, 11:04 PM   #18
bobH

Did anyone mention 'priming'? Sometimes these things won't go by themselves, and sometimes priming will help. Just my experience.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:45 AM   #19
GB SISSON

I installed my por 15 lined fuel tank into my 46 tonner project yesterday afternoon. I rehabbed a very stuck and clogged petcock from the bottom of a tank that was in bad condition. This brought to mind how I have dealt with some problematic tanks on previous projects with the fuel delivery line on the bottom of the tank. There is a stamped dome on the tank's bottom around the petcock which collects the worst of the rust particles and other crud. This dome acts like a funnel to feed this all this crud directly into the petcock for a good clog. On at least 3 different trucks I have drilled out the 1/4" pipe thread tank end to accept a copper tubing 'standpipe'. This is a piece of 1/4" tubing that extends above the petcock by about 1 1/4" or so. I then cross drill at a dozen points with a small drill bit, 1/16"or so. I can't recall ever having a problem with clogging after introducing the standpipe. Please don't drive around on 'empty' with this system.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:12 PM   #20
jtminor

What about the push rod off the cam, could this be a problem in the proper operation of the pump....