Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1936 Ford Roadster Fiberglass Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
Think this one through and do some test panels first. Our experience is that ANY woven or unidirectional fibers will tend to show a fiber pattern on the exterior, especially with extreme hot/cold temperature swings away from the temperature the car was painted.
What Karl says is good advice. Just look at any Corvette that had body repairs done in a boat repair shop...usually NOT pretty. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #22
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
Think this one through and do some test panels first. Our experience is that ANY woven or unidirectional fibers will tend to show a fiber pattern on the exterior, especially with extreme hot/cold temperature swings away from the temperature the car was painted.
Karl, Would this still be true if Gel Cote was applied to the molds before the fabric? Can you tell us your process without revealing trade secrets? My experience with glass layup was in Defense work, just curious, not in competition with the recognized leader!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #23
hotrod1940

Sure appreciate your input Karl. The name of Westcott is a long and respected one in fiberglass and will gladly take any advice you may have and will definitely be doing testing. Thanks again for your help. Sure wish you were closer to Atlanta.
hotrod1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #24
Palouse Milano

I concur with Karl, whom I have great respect for. I can share some wild "printing" stories from the early days at A.S. ...I recall seeing woodgrain printing through 6-8 layers of chopped glass on a black car! Granted, resins have improved over the years, but many of rules still apply. I still approach part and tooling layups carefully in the world of high tech aerospace composite materials I work in today. Assume any contacting pattern or hard material will print through some day.
Palouse Milano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #25
hotrod1940

It is amazing how many responses i have gotten from people who have cars that were produced from our molds. I sure appreciate the help and advice I have recieved and we are progressing as fast as we can toward a limited production run.
Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #26
Royal Ryser

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1940 View Post
Some clarification on the status of these molds. There is not and never was any problems with the molds. They are in great condition and I am one by one mounting them on rotisseries. The problem was the interior framework was off, and we did not acquire any of the interior framework. We are building all new jigs and have a mint condition 1935 that we are using for measurements and copying. All glass work will be top notch and use multi layer and cross directional layup.We fully intend to maintain the high quality that Fairlane produced and no one did better glasswork than Fairlane. Working with several top names in the fiberglass business and looking forward to producing some cool stuff.
Do you or will you make rear fenders for a 36 sedan?
Royal Ryser
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #27
hotrod1940

Sorry no molds for a sedan.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:10 AM   #28
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Ryser View Post
Do you or will you make rear fenders for a 36 sedan?
Royal Ryser
contact Karl Wescott and I believe he can take care of you.
http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatal...ood-Fender.pdf

Last edited by uncle buck; 07-15-2014 at 02:18 AM.
uncle buck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #29
ems customer service

karl wescott just knows his stuff, builds a great product, stands behind it, you can find him easily, and has set the benchmark in quality fiberglass bodies
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #30
hotrod1940

Turns out that the purple boattail that is in the photo we have of cars produced from our molds is two hours away from my house.We went over and met the gentleman that owns it and turns out he has an awesome collection of customs and we spent the day there.His boattail has a 1935 Ford front end and is very well done. The doors shut shut like a metal car and the fit is great. This is starting to be fun.
Here are some shots.

[IMG]http://www.hotrodsonline.com/Photos/...oattail04.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.hotrodsonline.com/Photos/...oattail06.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.hotrodsonline.com/Photos/...oattail02.jpeg[/IMG]

Last edited by hotrod1940; 07-25-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #31
whizzernick

I have been told ( by a co that makes fiberglass hood replacement's for mustangs )
they use only mat NO cloth and when finished they cook in an oven . fiberglass resin will reflow when heat ( the sun ) goes above curing temp .
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #32
contraptionist

I was making a 32 ford boat tail speedster but have since started on a `39 zephyr front end for it, it looks a little long on the `32 body with the 106" wheelbase but I will keep at it. Lots of work, don`t know when I will finish it, it is fiberglass. I can`t seem to add a photo. I like those boat tails. Good luck boat tail builders.
contraptionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #33
Pvernon

Send a message via AIM to Pvernon

I am down in Lakeland Fl. My son is in the fiberglass business. I want a 1935 Ford Phaeton body. Will you please E- mail me about your bodies I understand you have the moulds from Fairlane.
Phil Vernon
[email protected]
863-670-0000
Pvernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #34
fasi

Negotiations are being finalized to sell the new molds for the 1936 Ford Roadster, Cabriolet and Club Cabriolet made by Fairlane Company, to a company in California, who plans to re-introduce them. More details will be forthcoming when this deal is completed. As the owner of Fairlane, it was our objective to build the strongest body structually as we could. We admired the work done by Wescott's on their bodies and used the same concept for ours. More later....
fasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #35
NYfatboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasi View Post
Negotiations are being finalized to sell the new molds for the 1936 Ford Roadster, Cabriolet and Club Cabriolet made by Fairlane Company, to a company in California, who plans to re-introduce them. More details will be forthcoming when this deal is completed. As the owner of Fairlane, it was our objective to build the strongest body structually as we could. We admired the work done by Wescott's on their bodies and used the same concept for ours. More later....
I cant wait!