Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
drchip

Default 35 windshield install help needed

Got all new glass for my 35 ford tudor. Everything went well until I got to the windshield. I got bedding tape from mac's, and cleaned frame thoroughly and painted it. I've got the two halves within 1/2 inch of being together and I cant get them any further. I'm afraid I'm gonna break the glass. Does anyone have any tips/ suggestions?
drchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: 35 windshield install help needed

Sounds like the glass is to big, to wide or the bedding tape is to thick. You can lube it with dish washing soap .You did a trial fit first ??.Knock it in on a solid block of wood on a concrete floor hit the edge of the frame with a 2x4 and hammer.

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Will the glass fit in the frame without the bedding tape? If not the glass is too big as Ted said or maybe your frame is bent out of shape. If it does fit w/o the tape then the tape must be too thick.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-10-2011 at 08:19 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
drchip

No, I didnt try it without the tape - I guess that would have been the common sense thing to do. I tried lubing it with dishsoap, mineral spirits and silicone spray. I've beat on it as much as I dare with a hard rubber mallet, and tried my woodworking clamps as much as I dared. So close and yet so far. I'll pull it apart tomorrow and try it without tape.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
drchip

Pulled the frame apart and dry fitted it . Went together with coaxing. Did it a couple times and ended up popping a nickle size chip of the edge. Grrrr. Carefully checked the frame and looked for shiny spots or signs of rubbing and carefully ground a little.No way tape would work so I'm going with the silicone. Couple questions: 1)Is the chip likely to turn into a crack? 2)Is there a particular type/brand of silicone to use - I've read other posts where they discouraged its use claiming it will promote rust. Thanks everyone
Old 03-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
41ford1

You don't want to use any RTV that smells like vinegar as it cure. That smell is acetic acid being released during the cure. If you can find Dow Corning 3145 or similar use it. I know 3145 from sealing aerospace products. The cure releases alcohol and is not corrosive. It is available in clear, black and gray.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
jakesbackyard

If you use silicon or some other adhesive make sure you tape on some sort of material in a couple places on the top half and a couple on the lower half to center the glass in the channels. If you don't and the glass is against the metal channel it will usually break from flexing as you drive.
jakesbackyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:11 AM   #8
FlatheadTed

It could turn into a crack,You may be able to get the chip treated , .You use masking tape around it when trial fitting
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchip View Post
Pulled the frame apart and dry fitted it . Went together with coaxing. Did it a couple times and ended up popping a nickle size chip of the edge. Grrrr. Carefully checked the frame and looked for shiny spots or signs of rubbing and carefully ground a little.No way tape would work so I'm going with the silicone. Couple questions: 1)Is the chip likely to turn into a crack? )Is there a particular type/brand of silicone to use - I've read other posts where they discouraged its use claiming it will promote rust. Thanks everyone

Old 03-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
drchip

Didnt know about the masking tape deal - wish I had. Talked to Bob at Bob's classic glass and he did not recommend silicone either. His advice was get thinner tape (1/32 or 1/64). Bet that tears easy. Or he suggested using friction tape all the way around glass and a very thin bead of urethane on outside edge of window frame channel. The chip he referred to as a "clamshell" (good description) and said its not likely to crack. Wet sanding the clamshell to remove any sharp edges may be a good idea. I'll check with a glass shop and see if they got thinner tape Thanks all .
Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
FlatheadTed

I would dich the tape ,if its not fitting now its not going to fit with tape cut some 1" strips to space it .A modern windscreen is glued in with Urethane the glass and metal is primed with a special product but I would do what Jakes said and use the black urethane but mask both the glass and frame when its had a hr or so drying pull the tape of ,You can end up with a real mess ,After its dried for 4 hrs wash it with a solvent (meths )

Old 03-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
drchip

Well I threw in the towel and took it to a glass guy today and to my amazement he had one setting there just like it that he had just finished. He is going to use urethane and a little black cauk around the edges mostly for appearances. He is going to work on the chip too. Thanks again everyone and hopefully this thread will benefit others in the future too.