Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #41
ems customer service

Default Re: More on HIGH SHIPPING FEES

the cost of fuel has dictated alot of this, but ups and fed ex are also increasing rates a average of 5% per year for at least the last six years.

3 years ago ups/fedx increased large 22% that means box's over 5480 cu/in

and then the extra fee's for long box $6.50 rural address $4 they both have a list of extra charges 2 pages long

i agree with bubba, we try to break even, but box's (heavy duty) $2 to $9 bought by the semi load,

our cheapest shipping is $14 (last years rate)

in ohio sales tax is charged on shipping 8% (in state only)

and a credit card was used a merchant fee 3% by mc/visa is charge

for your $17 box mc/visa charged $0.51 on the shipping alone

going to the post office is not cheaper when the cost of the employee is added in, even with multiple packages.

your lucking your not in new zealand where shipping is $200 to $400 a box
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #42
52merc

thanks ems trev downunder
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #43
hardtimes

Hey brien,
Nicely stated! Thanks for sharing in understandable detail what some others here have said. Just mabe bad mouthing small business , because of 'shipping' costs will stop, oh and mabe gas prices will come back down !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #44
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
There's an interesting comparison, from the SAME shipper. KUBE's package from C&G (small for a shipped box) weighed 1 pound, 8 oz. Cost $17.00. GARY's package from C&G (unknown size) weighed 3.7 lbs. Cost GARY $11.50. Gary's SHIPPING cost was ONLY 2/3 the money, yet KUBE's small package only weighed 40% of what GARY's did. With the facts available here-in, from two guys buying from the SAME shipper, the numbers certainly deserve SOME scrutiny, or at least some justification. DD
Maybe because it's a lot farther from CA to WI than to TX...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #45
brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey brien,
Nicely stated! Thanks for sharing in understandable detail what some others here have said. Just mabe bad mouthing small business , because of 'shipping' costs will stop, oh and mabe gas prices will come back down !!

You are welcome I have been in trucking over 30 years...It is the small stuff that sometimes is overcharged by small shippers because the UPS & Fed Ex won't handle it,(over 80lbs) and Common Carrier dictates it be on pallets and "shipper load.. consignee unload". Consignee unload merely means that, you as the buyer, be available to unload the equipment from the rear of the truck which is usually 4 feet off the ground. Some trucking companies will offer "liftgate service at curbside, or garage level, but they charge extra. One is usually better off picking up at the dock of common carrier's terminal. There they are normally obligated to load your truck, so long as it is dock height, or in some case they will load from ground level.

I recently bought a gun safe that weighed almost 500 lbs. Now being in the business, I knew what to expect. All of the "free shipping" to my curbside didn't mean a thing since the carriers would only use a lift gate to deliver curbside. The driveway from the road to my back door is over 700 feet. I asked them to load from the rear of their truck to the bed of my pick up..No dice. Liability issues.. It had to go to the ground. SO then How do I lift back into pick up bed. Road to pick up bed about 36" and I don't own any gorillas.

I ended up buying the safe from Tractor Supply who loaded in my pickup for me. I trucked it home, backed up to the rear porch, used a hand truck to go from pick up bed to porch level, into the house. VIOLA!

Moral of the story: be in control of your own shipping from the point of sale, if you can be. You control the terms, you control the carrier, and you control the delivery, and most of all, you control the cost.

This is even more important if you have a damage claim against the carrier. You want to file the claim, not the seller, since the seller, if he is not obligated financially, rarely will give a crap to make you whole in the transaction.
brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #46
al pa.

drake will send a calendar for $5 to buy a stamp.
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #47
Teich

Received a order form Mac's today 8lb box rear window seals for 48 car . Shipping 53.20, mailed to me in Manitoba Canada. It looks high, but I used to ship to a North Dakota address then go pick up.Now that is about a 4hr. drive and about $30-$35 fuel plus 5.00 to the business.So remove the cost of the fuel and it may be not bad. Had a drive shaft shipped from Seattle to ND that cost 66.00 plus my fuel cost. Yes cheaper would be nice but, I guess this part of the cost of enjoying the Ford . I try to mail parts form the US,because of the fuel cost and normally don't have to pay the taxes. After the first ride when snow is gone who remembers the cost of freight ! Laurie
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #48
BUBBAS IGNITION

SOME MORE SALT FOR THE SHIPPING WOUND !!

Customer called this morning kinda upset his packages hadnt arrived . The package was some fuel injectors for a car he was working on.
Seems the customer objected to our $15 charge for shipping and sent his injectors with his own shipping label. This did in fact save him $4.85 ! Our girl drove to the fed-x pickup box at the end of our street and dropped off the box. Now the customer is on the phone wanting to know where our product is as if its our fault. We cant track or do anything for him at all.

So for $ 4.85 he's three days behind on his customers car...

My old boss used to say " yer crawling over dollars to save pennys ".
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #49
gmc1941

You can't beat any shipping cost. It's a great value. Go pick up the parts yourself! Stop complaining, shop somewhere else. It's your choose.....................

Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #50
brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
SOME MORE SALT FOR THE SHIPPING WOUND !!

Customer called this morning kinda upset his packages hadnt arrived . The package was some fuel injectors for a car he was working on.
Seems the customer objected to our $15 charge for shipping and sent his injectors with his own shipping label. This did in fact save him $4.85 ! Our girl drove to the fed-x pickup box at the end of our street and dropped off the box. Now the customer is on the phone wanting to know where our product is as if its our fault. We cant track or do anything for him at all.

So for $ 4.85 he's three days behind on his customers car...

My old boss used to say " yer crawling over dollars to save pennys ".
This is another good reason for the consignee to be in control of his own shipping. He should have his own tracking number if he is bearing the cost of the freight here. It's good for you, since you are off the hook, and shame on him for not being fully in control of his own shipment.
brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #51
bbrust

My only shipping price complaint was MACs. However, last month I sent my sun visors to be covered and received them today. Shipping was a reasonable $10 UPS. Looks like improvement since they became part of Eckler's.
bbrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #52
donQ

Several suppliers use the US post office boxes. Joe's Antique Auto ships with Post Office boxes whenever they can. Many of my orders come in the $5+ boxes. They are at:
www.joesantiqueauto.com
or 1-800-278-3980
They're good folks to deal with and their pricing is very good too.
Donq
donQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #53
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Re: More on HIGH SHIPPING FEES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc1941 View Post
You can't beat any shipping cost. It's a great value. Go pick up the parts yourself! Stop complaining, shop somewhere else. It's your choose.....................
The best advice hands down ....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #54
Henryat1140

X2 about recommending Joe.

Good guy to deal with, fast shipping. Knowledgeable.
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #55
JRHASZARD

The best and cheapest shipper by far was Airborne Express. Unfortunately, they were bought out by DHL who didn't understand express shipping. DHL spent six Billion dollars to go out of business as a US carrier. Thousands of long time DHL and Airborne employees lost their jobs due to horrible management practices. Wilmington, Ohio was devastated. Perhaps the lack of competition from a low cost, highly efficient carrier like Airborne contributes to the high price of shipping.
JRHASZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #56
37don

I have been dealing with Joe since before he had a catalog. His shipping is FAST and usually reflects the true cost of shipping. He is a hands on small business guy that usually answers the phone when you call. Just my experience!
Regards, Don
37don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #57
Steves46

I have been dealing with Joe for years. Oustanding service.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #58
BERNIE G

WOW;
Great input from so many different prospectives. I only recently started selling a life long collection of STUFF, on e-bay.

Can't begin to add up the hours the wife is, and has spent trying to figure out the most reasonable method of shipping, to make things affordable.

All items vary in size and weight, so different shipping methods charge at different rates. We try to ship as cheaply as possible, as do most people I believe.

Oh yes; and then there are those Box Sizes: How did they figure out a way to make us need the next size bigger box?

My goal is to liquidate my good ole stuff at a reasonable price, hopefully to someone who needs it for their pet project. All without giving it away.

Lots of these items, I remember buying in the past, and what I paid for them. If not for the,"re-live our love affair with the past," I may as well just junk it, for what I can sell it for, and save the shipping and the time. But then it would be GONE FOREVER.

The sale, or not, of some SMALL but KEY items, often hinges on the shipping cost. "Can I justify paying as much for shipping as I did for the item?" Well if they were everywhere, that would not be an issue.

SHIPPING, (Only partially controllable) with many variables. With lots of time involved, and not considered, before said item even hits the for sale market. And after the sale.

Shipping expense is not going away any time soon.

I wonder how we could have access to so many of the things we want, if not for todays Media and technology. And Shipping Availability. And what do you mean, "I will receive it within 2 to 3 weeks?" I want it NOW.

Have we forgotten how isolated and uninformed we may have been, say, 20-30 years ago?

These bennies all cost someone something.

I am not pointing fingers, only speaking my mind.

"We are all in the same boat and trying to keep the water on the outside."

Lets See: I paid $25 for it 15 years ago to save it because they were gone or real scarce, I stored it and cared for it. And now it's time to have someone use it. I dusted it off, I took 7 Pictures, I spent numerous hours trying to figure out how to make it show up in a search. Oh and now look, there are 5 just like it available. Who would have thought?

So now I'm trying to at least get my money back. (Less my time of course), But dang, there is that SHIPPING COST. So if I need (want) it, I can't gripe, or it's gone again.

Best to All:

" This life ain't practice, this is it!"
BERNIE G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #59
BILL WZOREK

Bernie G:
This is kind of getting off the original thread BUT it all pertains to the hobbie.
( Which is Good ) Some times it is the search for the part / other times it is the people that you barter with to get the parts. Every part has a story to go with it , and the problem is there can not be a value assigned to it.
It may be better to look at what you have & you all ready know in the back of your mind what you want / need But you may want to consider letting it all go as a lot sum.
If you take each and every part and look at it in great detail and think of what you paid and how you cared for it. You will never be happy with what you finaly get for it.
I Have been there & done that. It's what I call walking down memory Lane.
Sooner or Later some one is going to shut off the lights on memory lane and you will only have the memorys left. JUST A THOUGHT
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #60
cmbrucew

I received an email from M__s today. They have glass and seals on sale, 15% off.
11A-7021448&9 $42.75= $36.34 good. How much for the shipping??? $10.95
These are the seals for the door ventglass. I asked if they could ship via USPS?
He went to talk to his supervisor, It would still be $10.95. So much for the new owners
changing anything.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote