Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
ron

Default 5 speed help

planning on putting a 5-speed trans and open rear in my 32 cpe with flat motor, looking for suggestions for the best trans and rear for this swap.thanks ron
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Gary in Mozarks

Default Re: 5 speed help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
planning on putting a 5-speed trans and open rear in my 32 cpe with flat motor, looking for suggestions for the best trans and rear for this swap.thanks ron
By 5 speed are you refering to a Borg Warner T-5? (Tremec)?

Best is not a simple answer, The WC T5 is strongest, but to use it, its best to transfer the tailshaft from an S-10 trans, Unless you go with the 4x4 conversion that has been explained on here that uses the torque tube. The early S-10 trannys are the simplest, but the iron duke trannys have a 4.0 first gear, Some have a .76 OD others have a .89 OD You need to do your own research on Jalopy Journal They have more info that you will want to read on them. ITs really an amazing transmssion.

Gary

Last edited by Gary in Mozarks; 08-14-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Richard in Florida

Quote:
Choose your T5 carefully. Consider the gear set, especially 1st gear. Calculate the performance with your rear end ratio. Also consider the shifter location.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Pete Fl/Wi

Here is a link with some good info and other links. I have a t-5 in my 51 and love it. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/46...pter-info.html
Pete
Pete Fl/Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Dak Rat

As far as I know, this can't be accomplised in a stock '32 frame with-out really taking the ax to the K member. Has anyone done it with-out major surgery? If so, I'd like to know how you did it.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Deuce Man

Look into a ford rts four speed, were used in pickups mid 80's all aluminum, stick comes up where it is supposed to, fourth gear is an overdrive ,made by tremek, wilcap has an adapter Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Bassman/NZ

As well as the excellent resource here at the Barn, you'll find an absolute bucket full of threads about this on the Hamb, including how to keep the closed rear end if so desired. Use the search function there and prepare to be astounded.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Rat View Post
As far as I know, this can't be accomplised in a stock '32 frame with-out really taking the ax to the K member. Has anyone done it with-out major surgery? If so, I'd like to know how you did it.

Nope, cannot be done without major K-member mods - been there, done that with my avatar (where I DID modify the K-member). That being said, you can replace the K-member with a center "X" member and you will be golden. Thinking of that, perhaps an aftermarket frame w/"X" member installed is the easier/better way to go and you either hold onto you stock frame for a future project or off it.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
As for your 5-speeds behind a flattie, the one of choice is the 88-92 "head" and earlier 84-88 tailshaft for a mechanical speedo (if that's your preference). Still, you need to check the numbers on the tag to verify ALL NWC T-5s for your first and 5th gear ratios. Find Flaternie on the HAMB and check all of his 5-speed references - a wealth of info. 5th gear ratios on S10 5-speeds can be .72, .76, .8 and there may be one more. Bottom line is you've got to check the tag numbers and Flaternie has the info/links to info. I have a 88-92 "head" in my avatar but it has a .8 5th gear. With pretty tall rear tires and 3:54 open drive banjo rear, 2500 RPM is about 68 mph.

IF you are using really tall rear tires (31") and say a 3:30 ratio rear gear, the 4:06 first gear of the earlier NWC T-5s isn't too bad. You will shift out of it a bit sooner but it is very driveable.

One final note - all NWC T-5 casings have a 1352 starting number on them and the tailshaft has a "bubble" on the passenger side for 5th gear. Be wary of a 1252 casing with the T5 bubble tailshaft - in '88 they ran out of 4-speed tailshafts and used 5 speed ones - ask me how I know ((*&#(*&%(*&$). I got suckered in my 40 coupe when I replaced my worn out 84 NWC T-5 trans for a supposed 5-speed - had a 5-speed tailshaft but it was a 4-speed. You can't really tell until it's in the car - so now you know.

Good luck ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
cbillelder

A website that will give you all the T5 ratios and applications can be found at (www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm)
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Flat Ernie

Check out the link in my signature...plenty of reading. There is no "best"...

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
Ol' Ron

I truly believe that the BW people had the Flathead in mind when they designed the T-5. The original one with it's dump truck 1st gear (4:1) is ideal for the stock engine heavy car people and the .6 to .8 tifth allow a perfect cruse gear depending on engine size and car weight. Unfortunately, some don't use their arithmetic when choosing their tranny.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
flatheadA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Man View Post
Look into a ford rts four speed, were used in pickups mid 80's all aluminum, stick comes up where it is supposed to, fourth gear is an overdrive ,made by tremek, wilcap has an adapter Rich

I believe those are 85 to 89 4 speed truck trans.A lot of those are going into model A 4 bangers,there's a guy here in Nunica that's making adapters for them.He hasn't made any for flatheads yet.There not cheep, I think he's done 2 dozen or more in the last year.From what I understand those tranys are getting harder to find.
flatheadA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
Krylon32

When I sell one of my conversion kits I recommend the 85/92 2 wheel drive Borg Warner T5 S10/S15 trans. The 85/89 has a manual speedo and the 90/92 has electric sender. It's worked for me for the past 15 years. Lots of satisfied customers. Gary at Cornhusker
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote