Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #21
SSsssteamer

Default Re: Dot 4 or Dot 5 brake fluid?

My brake progress on our Stanley Mt. Wagon:

Changing from a 1/4” brake line to a 3/16” brake line cured a part of my braking problems. I instantly gained about an inch of pedal travel.

Disappointingly, changing out my Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid to Dot 4 brake fluid made very little change in my brake pedal travel.

The disc brake calipers I had mounted at about 2 o’clock from level. They had double pistons so they needed a more vertical mounting to be bled. I unbolted them and turned them up about another 30 degrees so that I could bleed them completely. That was the secret to the whole fix. I now have a full brake pedal. I have about a 1 1/2” pedal travel before the brakes become engaged. A total 4 inch travel before the brakes are totally locked up. There is another 4 “ of travel beyond that if I should ever need it.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #22
Y-Blockhead

SSsssteamer, Not trying to hijack your thread but every time I see you on The Barn I'm reminded that I wanted to ask you if you know or heard of a Stanley Steamer fire at Knott's Berry Farm in, if I remember correctly, the mid to late 60's.

If so that was my great Uncle Wayne's (Nutting) car. Him and my Great Aunt (my Grandma's sister) died that day. I think there were other injuries also. I think it was caused by a propane leak?? I was ~15 at the time.

Anyway I have heard that the car survived? Any idea where it is today?

Us kids loved that GIANT car, the bells and whistles and steam coming out at the stop signs. Thanks

Sorry, Barners... not a Ford question.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #23
SSsssteamer

Y blockhead, We are very familiar with Wayne Nutting and his Knott's Berry Farm Fire. Your report is accurate. His Stanley has been sold and is currently being restored by its new owner. I don't have the new owner's address. Wayne's fatal propane fire pretty well rewrote the rules about using propane for fuel in vintage cars.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #24
smtichy

SSsssteamer,
Glad to hear you got your brakes sorted out. This thread was on my mind this weekend. I was in 3 stores that had a basic autoparts section, all of them had both DOT 3 & 4 in stock, but no DOT 5. Also my last couple new cars 2013 & 2009 both used DOT 4, so seems there is still some work to be done to get DOT 5 into the mainstream.

Thanks for posting your results!

'55 Sunliner - 292 V8, 3 speed man. w/ OD
ČKMAA - Český klub majitelů amerických automobilů
smtichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
Y blockhead, We are very familiar with Wayne Nutting and his Knott's Berry Farm Fire. Your report is accurate. His Stanley has been sold and is currently being restored by its new owner. I don't have the new owner's address. Wayne's fatal propane fire pretty well rewrote the rules about using propane for fuel in vintage cars.
Awesome, thanks for the info.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote