Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2024, 05:31 PM   #21
Ayers1

Default Re: A newbie needs help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1291 View Post
It's a pleasure to hear that you want to keep your car in good shape for your kids, rashmore. Mine's a 4th generation car but it wasn't kept up like it should have, which was disappointing to me the more I got into mine.

I've always been curious about what to do for your VIN if you had another engine put in your car. Fortunately mine still has the same engine as the VIN but what if you got something like a Burtz engine?
We have a couple of members of our local club that have letter sets that are very close to original style. When someone has to change engines then that person can file off the old numbers and stamp the correct ones on the block. This is helpful if you want your numbers to match or are building a show car.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:10 PM   #22
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayers1 View Post
We have a couple of members of our local club that have letter sets that are very close to original style. When someone has to change engines then that person can file off the old numbers and stamp the correct ones on the block. This is helpful if you want your numbers to match or are building a show car.
When you grind off the old numbers you are left with a smooth flat area on the block, which is unlike the rough casting surface the block originally came with. Sharp eyes could use this to deduce that the engine had been restamped. If you use a needle descaling gun on that smooth surface before you stamp the new numbers it will be almost indistinguishable from original. Certainly enough to allow DMV to pass it.

Really, it works. But don’t ask how I know that.

In California there are independent consultants who are licensed by DMV to verify VIN. The title on my ‘30 matches the frame number, so since I have the body off I’m going to have one of these guys issue me a verification certificate. California requires DMV to verify VIN when registering to Year of Manufacture plates, so I’ll use that independent verification to register to my 1930 license plates.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 04-11-2024 at 10:16 PM.
JayJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-11-2024, 11:09 PM   #23
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Charlie, not always it appears. The number on my engine in my Town Sedan is the number on my pink. My car does not have a "VIN" number like in your picture.
Interesting. When was the last time your car was at the DMV? Then maybe it was just the difference between two DMV locations, I used the one in Culver City in 1972 for my '31 RDDPU.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:16 PM   #24
Charlie Stephens

Remember if you bolt a Model B carburetor onto a Model A intake manifold the carburetor will be at a slight angle and it will be difficult to attach the Model A choke. The venders make special bolts to solve this problem. Some guys enlarge the Model A intake manifold for extra performance with the B carburetor but I think if I was doing it I would use a Model B manifold.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:05 PM   #25
47topless

Welcome to ModelAland.
Having been at rest for all those years, you should assume that the gas tank in this car is full of crud and should be cleaned out. Not an easy task but much easier than fighting the losing battle with dirty gas.
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote