Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: 6-Volt, Negative ground???

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair67 View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I discovered that my Model A has a 6 volt negative ground setup as well. I am going to replace the generator with an alternator (I know I know), so I will have to put it back to positive ground. I assume that all that needs to be done is swapping the wires around on the coil and the ammeter. Would that be accurate? I am running LED tail lights which I had to run a separate ground for, and a electric wiper motor, and will also be installing a restored 1930's era Southwind heater (I use this car daily year round and live in Chicago where it gets pretty nasty during the winter). Thanks in advance for any advice.
They do sell both positive ground and negative ground alternators.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:17 PM   #22
N8IWS

Default Re: 6-Volt, Negative ground???

I'm looking at the same problem with our 46. In my 47 years in the field, we never touched any 6v positive ground in school.

Dale
N8IWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-29-2023, 09:11 AM   #23
su8pack1

Thumbs up Re: 6-Volt, Negative ground???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
If you are still running the generator all that has to be done to change to negative ground is turn the battery around and swap the cables then reverse the wires on the ammeter and coil. you will then need to polarize the generator by holding a wire across the poles of the cutout for one or two seconds and the deed is done. I have never seen a 6V negative ground alternator. The ones that the venders sell are 6V positive ground.
It's an old thread but it answered my question. Back around 1969/1970 I converted my 30 Coupe to negative ground as it was a thing back then in the local club. I want to change it back now, but wasn't sure how to polarize it. Thanks.
su8pack1 is offline   Reply With Quote