Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #41
Brad in Germany

Default Re: Is this the only one left of its kind?

Could it be a Mifflinburg body instead maybe?

Fordially,
Brad in Germany
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #42
Elcastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mellor NJ View Post
That car was in a collection called "Antique Cars of Hatfield, Pa. It sold along with many other cars and parts at an auction about five years ago.Hatfield is a suburb of Philadelphia, about 25 miles to the north The auctioneer was named "Alderfer Auctions". You might be able to contact them to find the previous ownership. I saw this for sale last year and asked if it was the same one but got no reply.I was surprised it changed coasts.
Thank you for your comment!! This lead confirms one that I got a few months ago. I sent Alderfer Auctions a brief email at that time asking about it and got no reply. I guess that I may have to follow up with a phone call.

Thanks again.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #43
Elcastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratamahata View Post
You guys here at the Ford Barn are GREAT!! See my next comment!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #44
Elcastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratamahata View Post
much coincidence!! look the model T woodie

I do not know about the Model T Woodie, but look at the bottom row, left picture!!!! That is the car that I now own! I am 100% sure because I have that broken windshield as one of the pieces that came with the vehicle. It was replaced with a new one and frame, but they kept the original and sent it with the vehicle that I bought!!!!

Now I need to sort out when it was auctioned. It seems that it was sold January 2008, instead of about 5 years ago, or was resold again in January 2008.

Yes! Ford Barners are in the know!!

OK, one last question. Who stole the horn and rear view mirror????
Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #45
Elcastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad in Germany View Post
Could it be a Mifflinburg body instead maybe?

Fordially,
Brad in Germany
Thanks for the thought, but no. It does not have a vertical strips on the side panels, only horizontal. This is one quick way of knowing that is is not Ford either.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #46
Elcastor

Now that I know where it was sold, does anyone else know anything about the history of this vehicle before it went to auction, or after it was sold at auction?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #47
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcastor View Post
Now that I know where it was sold, does anyone else know anything about the history of this vehicle before it went to auction, or after it was sold at auction?

You got it from Neil...

Who did Neil get it from?

What does your time line look like now?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #48
Elcastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
You got it from Neil...

Who did Neil get it from?

What does your time line look like now?

Pluck
That was the very first thing I tried. Neil said that the person he bought it from was not very helpful, but that may have been where I got the name Alderfer Auctions from. When I asked asked them about the vehicle, I had told them 4 - 5 years ago and described it as a 1928 Martin-Parry Model A Ford. I see that they sold it as a 1929 Ford Woody, which would explain why I got no where with Alderfer Auction.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #49
Elcastor

I have a couple updates to this original post................

Someone told me that a 1928 Martin-Parry Station Wagon was the feature car in the February issue, 1965 Hemmings Motor News. I found the issue on eBay and bought it. Here is the picture on the front page.

And here is the information that was inside the magazine.

Hemmings Motor News
February 1965
Feature Car of the Month

Rev. John O. Mellin of New York owns our feature car this month. Rev. Mellin states this is a very rare 1928 Ford wagon and from his information believes only 5 were built. It was on a commercial chassis, black metal work and the body patterned after the late Model T wagons made before the carriage shops re-tooled for Henry’s “A” styling. Rev. Mellin restored this car during two years of work. Syverson has advised Rev. Mellin the body is a Martin Perry Body but he would like more information on it. This car is now in Orleans, Mass., and Rev. Mellin has located 2 others of the original five wagons built, one in Mass., and the other in New Hampshire. Rev. Mellin’s address is First Presbyterian Church, 12 West 12th St., New York, N. Y.

I sent the above information to a contact on the East Coast and he replied back as follows:

I read the Hemmings article with much interest, given that one of the 5 possible cars was located in Orleans, MA. on Cape Cod and I have a vacation home in Chatham, the next town. This morning I called Rich Bell a gentleman I've known for years, he lives in Wellfleet, also next to Orleans. Rich has sold Model-A's and parts out of his barn since just after WW11. When I mentioned the car he knew right away who owned the car,Rev. Mellin he said. In fact, Rich was the broker that sold the car for Rev. Mellin to a Mr. McEvoy. He even gave me Mr McEvoy's address--56 Pleasant St., Hyannis, MA. He said Mr. McEvoy was getting on in years, but as far as he knew the car was still in Hyannis and owned by Mr. McEvoy. It might be a long shot given Mr. McEvoy's age, but he might be a source of info.

Based on the above information I looked up Mr. McEvoy on the internet and then called him. He sounded sharp as a tack for his age. He still owns that same Martin-Parry Station Wagon and had it in this last 4th of July Parade. My friend is going to visit Mr. McEvoy and take lots of pictures for me of his car.

Hurray!! Progress on my research and you never know where it might come from!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #50
Jason in TX

Wow. That is a good lead!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #51
Deluxe Delivery Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcastor View Post
I have a couple updates to this original post................

Someone told me that a 1928 Martin-Parry Station Wagon was the feature car in the February issue, 1965 Hemmings Motor News. I found the issue on eBay and bought it. Here is the picture on the front page.

And here is the information that was inside the magazine.

Hemmings Motor News

February 1965

Feature Car of the Month

Rev. John O. Mellin of New York owns our feature car this month. Rev. Mellin states this is a very rare 1928 Ford wagon and from his information believes only 5 were built. It was on a commercial chassis, black metal work and the body patterned after the late Model T wagons made before the carriage shops re-tooled for Henry’s “A” styling. Rev. Mellin restored this car during two years of work. Syverson has advised Rev. Mellin the body is a Martin Perry Body but he would like more information on it. This car is now in Orleans, Mass., and Rev. Mellin has located 2 others of the original five wagons built, one in Mass., and the other in New Hampshire. Rev. Mellin’s address is First Presbyterian Church, 12 West 12th St., New York, N. Y.

I sent the above information to a contact on the East Coast and he replied back as follows:

I read the Hemmings article with much interest, given that one of the 5 possible cars was located in Orleans, MA. on Cape Cod and I have a vacation home in Chatham, the next town. This morning I called Rich Bell a gentleman I've known for years, he lives in Wellfleet, also next to Orleans. Rich has sold Model-A's and parts out of his barn since just after WW11. When I mentioned the car he knew right away who owned the car,Rev. Mellin he said. In fact, Rich was the broker that sold the car for Rev. Mellin to a Mr. McEvoy. He even gave me Mr McEvoy's address--56 Pleasant St., Hyannis, MA. He said Mr. McEvoy was getting on in years, but as far as he knew the car was still in Hyannis and owned by Mr. McEvoy. It might be a long shot given Mr. McEvoy's age, but he might be a source of info.

Based on the above information I looked up Mr. McEvoy on the internet and then called him. He sounded sharp as a tack for his age. He still owns that same Martin-Parry Station Wagon and had it in this last 4th of July Parade. My friend is going to visit Mr. McEvoy and take lots of pictures for me of his car.

Hurray!! Progress on my research and you never know where it might come from!
That is so cool about the research. Keep searching and can't wait for the pic's
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #52
pat in Santa Cruz

WOW, Ben, you are diligent!!
This is turning out to be a great story. Old cars are wonderful, and with a good story, they are great cars.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #53
sawzall

son of a GUN!

I was at that auction.. and because it wasn't far from home I actually also attended the preview..

of all the photos I took those two days, only a few are of the Martin perry wagon..

here are the pictures I took on the preview day and the auction day.. ( i had attended the preview of the auction because at the time I was working on the reconstruction of my 40 Woodie..)

http://public.fotki.com/sawzallshop/...en/page12.html

Sadly I didnt pay much attention to the model a because I was so focused on the later ford..

heres a link I posted on the hamb AFTER the auction.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...light=alderfer

according to another poster the MP prohably sold for about 5K..
to whom, I dont know..