Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Chris

Default Drove my 53 Ford 700 miles with a fuel starvation problem, now I'm scratching my head

Over the weekend a good friend and I drove my 53 Ford 350 miles to the coast. On our way, I noticed the car was loosing a little power on grades. It got worse and worse, would just bog down and only wanted to idle...wanted to die if you gave it gas. About halfway there I stopped by a friends house who had a used fuel pump. We installed it and went on our way. Car did great until reaching our destination...pulling into town it started doing the same thing. We looked the car over and saw nothing obviously wrong
Returning home, we made it about 70 miles before it started acting up. Same symptoms only now it was doing it more and more. Just before a major mountain pass, I decided to check the float levels (dual carbs). They were low, so I adjusted them and made it a few miles before the problem returned. It did barley make it up the pass, coasted down but struggled the 15 miles before the next town. Car would only run at idle or if I barley feathered the throttle. Any more throttle and it would want to die. I'm picturing just enough fuel getting to carbs to let it idle.

In town, I bought a 6 gallon gas can and the last 9 feet of fuel line they had. Rigged it together and the car sailed the 180 miles home with out a hiccup doing 65 MPH

So, I presumed plugged gas tank or line. The entire fuel system is only a year old, the tank was cleaned, rebuilt pump, carbs and all fuel line replaced (except about 2 feet where it goes up over frame...I think the body has the be removed to replace that portion)
But, to my disappointment the tank looks new inside, I blew backwards through the pickup and when looking in the tank see nothing coming out and air rapidly blows through. I had my wife use the compressor to blow the fuel line from under the hood, while I watch under the car. Again, plenty of air passes and nothing came out of the line that could have obstructed it. So I'm baffled. I did pull the push rod and the fuel pump end is worn...although I'm not sure if it's enough to do anything. I think I'll try a new pump, push rod and install a 6V "backup" fuel pump on the car and try that. I sure hope it's not the cam lobe going flat.

Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

Old 09-28-2016, 03:30 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Drove my 53 Ford 700 miles with a fuel starvation problem, now I'm scratching my

Might be a bad batch of gas. Did the car run fine before the last fill-up? For how long? I've had this happen to me.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:37 AM   #3
dwick01

Default Re: Drove my 53 Ford 700 miles with a fuel starvation problem, now I'm scratching my

Not any help, but just want to say. That is a nice car!
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:01 AM   #4
Greg58

How close to the exhaust is the fuel line? If the gas is boiling it could be the problem.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:58 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

If the steel pickup line inside the tank has a leak in it above the fuel level then the fuel pump will be sucking air.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 09-28-2016 at 06:10 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Since everything worked just fine with the 'spare gas tank', then it sure seems like a fuel supply problem to the pump. You might try to run a long rubber line all the way to the tank and try it again. Then you'll at least know that the pump is good . . . or not.

It is highly unlikely that the cam lobe went flat - but you can easily check the pump-rod action when you have the pump off the intake. Good Luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:54 AM   #7
40cpe

Don't overlook the possibility of the fuel cap creating a vacuum in the tank.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Might be a bad batch of gas. Did the car run fine before the last fill-up? For how long? I've had this happen to me.
A bad batch wouldn't last 700 miles, no? Seems like he would have gone through it at around 200 or so miles.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
vilanar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Don't overlook the possibility of the fuel cap creating a vacuum in the tank.

I once had gas cap that had swollen rubber gasket in it and it didn´t let air inside the tank. If you have separate vent tube , check that also.
vilanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
flatjack9

If it pumped alright from your gas can, that would seem to eliminate the pump as a problem. I too would look at the tank vent.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Robz51

What about the rubber flex line to the fuel pump? They give lots of problems when they go bad.
Rob
Robz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:00 AM   #12
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
This happened on our RV and the contaminated fuel filters ended up restricting the fuel flow with loss of power symptoms exactly like yours. We ended up having to replace both the sock in the gas tank and the secondary fuel filter in the line between the tank and engine.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
V12Bill

Since the extra fuel tank solved your problem. the pump is probably OK. Did you hook up the new tank line to the flex line or the fuel pump? If you attached to the flex line, that is probably OK also. I would think that you have trash in the gas tank that floats around and plugs up the intake. Remove the tank, tilt it back toward the fill tube (is the fill tube removable). slowly pump gas into the tank and look into it with a flash light while moving the tank back and forth. Hopefully you will see foreign object(s) floating by and that should be your problem.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
Bob C

According to a gas cap catalog I have 1953 Ford used a non-vented cap
so check the tank vent.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

A quick check is to run it with the cap off.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #16
Chris

Thanks for the response guys!

First off- I do not think it's bad gas as we filled up several times during the trip

I do not think it is the tank, I drained it through a paint strainer and although there was a few particles of dirt, not very much. I did remove the gas cap while running rough and it was not sucked on so I left it (It was raining so I did not want tater getting into tank), although a test with it off could have proven something. I did have the vent off the tank when I cleaned it, I will check it again

There are two rubber flex lines on the car- both new and E85 approved...but I will replace both.

The only reason I think it may be the pump still is maybe with the can behind the seat it is not having to work so hard? It's not pulling the fuel as long or around curves? Maybe that's a wrong thought, but one I had. The pump in the car is one I rebuilt, I think I will put a new pump on (35.00 from Rock Auto for a Carter) just for peace of mind.

So, I think I will double check the tank (The hole in pickup tube is a great idea I did not think to check for...still do not know how I will do that), check vent, doucle check entire line and all connections, replace both rubber flex lines, and new fuel pump puch rod. Aside from the fuel pump lobe on the cam, that should cover everything. I don't mind throwing a little money at it, I just want a good reliable car. I took this car on this trip because I thought it was my most reliable and comfortable, HAHAHA
Old 09-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Thanks for the response guys!

First off- I do not think it's bad gas as we filled up several times during the trip

I do not think it is the tank, I drained it through a paint strainer and although there was a few particles of dirt, not very much. I did remove the gas cap while running rough and it was not sucked on so I left it (It was raining so I did not want tater getting into tank), although a test with it off could have proven something. I did have the vent off the tank when I cleaned it, I will check it again

There are two rubber flex lines on the car- both new and E85 approved...but I will replace both.

The only reason I think it may be the pump still is maybe with the can behind the seat it is not having to work so hard? It's not pulling the fuel as long or around curves? Maybe that's a wrong thought, but one I had. The pump in the car is one I rebuilt, I think I will put a new pump on (35.00 from Rock Auto for a Carter) just for peace of mind.

So, I think I will double check the tank (The hole in pickup tube is a great idea I did not think to check for...still do not know how I will do that), check vent, doucle check entire line and all connections, replace both rubber flex lines, and new fuel pump puch rod. Aside from the fuel pump lobe on the cam, that should cover everything. I don't mind throwing a little money at it, I just want a good reliable car. I took this car on this trip because I thought it was my most reliable and comfortable, HAHAHA

Chris:

Not old Ford related, but kind of fuel pump related. I had a '85 Jetta GLI that was giving me fits. Similar scenario: Idled great, but when you got on it, it would die.

All tests at idle showed the pump working as it should. When "under load" is where the fuel pump issue was really happening.

Now carbs, F.I. mechanical and electric pumps are worlds apart, but I'm leaning toward your pump being the issue as well.

So, from all you've said you've done to the car and it's symptoms, I'd say it's the pump as well. It's hard to test a the pump while you're driving down the road. I guess the one way would be to install an electric pump. If that solves the problem, it would point to an issue with the fuel pump working correctly under a load problem.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

A fuel gauge would help see what is going on, but might not be worth the effort.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #19
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
A fuel gauge would help see what is going on, but might not be worth the effort.
As in a pressure gauge?
Old 09-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #20
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Chris:

Not old Ford related, but kind of fuel pump related. I had a '85 Jetta GLI that was giving me fits. Similar scenario: Idled great, but when you got on it, it would die.

All tests at idle showed the pump working as it should. When "under load" is where the fuel pump issue was really happening.

Now carbs, F.I. mechanical and electric pumps are worlds apart, but I'm leaning toward your pump being the issue as well.

So, from all you've said you've done to the car and it's symptoms, I'd say it's the pump as well. It's hard to test a the pump while you're driving down the road. I guess the one way would be to install an electric pump. If that solves the problem, it would point to an issue with the fuel pump working correctly under a load problem.
I am going to install an electric pump on a switch as well, will help with hot starts, cold starts after sitting a while, and if it ever vapor locks. Pretty inexpensive and easy to do.