Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
Ol' Ron

Default Ignition requirements

Ignition requirements

We've been discussing the building of our Flathead engines from stock to blown. And the tuning requirements of these many different engines are different and confusing. I think an explication of what necessary and why, would make it easier for those wanting to get the best bang for the buck. I have received many Emails and PM's lately asking me for advice. One such person asked, Why should he spend 75 dollars on a new set of $625 heads just to take .020" off of them? Good question.
OK, First, there is only one commercially available distributor on the market that meets ALL the requirements of our daily driver and a trip to Bville, that's the 49-53 MSD unit. I know that may create an argument in some circles. Why?? Well it's the only distributor where you can adjust the mechanical and Vacuum advance to any desired curve. Name another? There isn't one. Lucky we have the SBC distributor which the MSD unit copied down to the last detail. Several of the members here on the barn will rebuild these to any configuration you desire. You can't get that with any other distributor at any price. And they do fit 48 and earlier engines, but don't look right, unfortunately, if you want the best system for your engine this is it. now for the purest the 11A works very well and come close to meeting your needs.
Now just what does the engine need? Well the combustion chamber determines that. The combustion chamber determines the Compression ratio, which determines the volume of the chamber, and the volume determines the area. By milling the heads for a TIGHT fit between the piston and head we in effect shorten the flame front and increase turbulence at a time just before the spark plug fires.
WE also have a carburetor in this equation to deal with. It provides the power to run the engine under heavy load and economy driving down de road. It does this by having the main jets adjusted for a lean mixture and a power valve for those times we need all the power the engine can produce. Some carbs do this better than others.
Now how does the distributor do all this? Well depending on the engines needs it offers a controlled mechanical l advance based on engine RPM. And the Vacuum advance determine the amount of advance under load.
Now if your AF (air fuel) is correct for these conditions, you have an inexpensive engine management system, 6 or 12 volts. well lets see what happens now. Happy New Year..
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Ignition requirements

Ya know Ron, you should write a book....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
BUBBAS IGNITION

[QUOTE=Ol' Ron;1221360]Ignition requirements

OK, First, there is only one commercially available distributor on the market that meets ALL the requirements of our daily driver and a trip to Bville, that's the 49-53 MSD unit. I know that may create an argument in some circles. Why?? Well it's the only distributor where you can adjust the mechanical and Vacuum advance to any desired curve. Name another? There isn't one.

Ron ,

I think you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
Our chevy conversion has always had the same adjustments the MSD units have (including the one i did for you), the chevy distributor limits the advance with a bushing ( just like the MSD ) and has since the very first one.

The rate of advance is determined by the springs and are very interchangable ( just like the MSD) and always have been since 1955.

The vacuum advance on most distributors are adjustable with a allen wrench today and even the earliest GM units was adjustable ( required changing the vac advance).

Our units even use a adjustment that even MSD dont have and thats rate adjustment with a allen wrench, ( copied from your friend Richard). I service the MSD ( did three last week) and personally would take a early delco in all cases as i had to bead blast each of the units to remove the rust from the parts that are mostly off shore pieces at best....

I think you may have mis-spoke a little bit here...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Ol' Ron

I guess you didn't read my post very well. I said the MSD copied the SBC dist, and we are lucky to have several people on the barn that make them. That includes YOU!!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
texas webb

From Two of the best!Thank you both.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I guess you didn't read my post very well. I said the MSD copied the SBC dist, and we are lucky to have several people on the barn that make them. That includes YOU!!

Ron , I kinda knew what you meant to say but the first sentence made me wonder .

First, there is only one commercially available distributor on the market that meets ALL the requirements of our daily driver and a trip to Bville, that's the 49-53 MSD unit.

See what i mean , i thought you might have been hanging out with Richard again...
Old 01-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

No, Richard had nothing to do with it. I get allot of emails and PM's about this stuff, and thought an explination would help. What supprises me is the fact that a simple electronic advance hasn't been put on the market. It's been around since the early 80's. hat would put everybody out of business. I can't believe they still sell distributors without Vacuum advances, it's more important, because the mach adv has no idea of the load.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
BUBBAS IGNITION

Ron,

Some thoughts on electronic advance :

From RC universe:

If set up for electronic advance, the electronics module gets a signal from the crank position sensor [Hall sensor] long after the time when the spark should have been generated. Therefore on that particular rotation it is too late and the only thing it can do is fire the plug immediately, so you get at least one cycle when the timing is off. The ignition module has to remember that the engine is accelerating, remember the rpm, and try to anticipate at what point the spark should be fired for the next rotation. As you can see things can change pretty rapidly, a full rotation could see the engine no longer accelerating.

The whole operation is some guesswork and a lot of computation to get it right. In an environment with rapidly changing RPM values some error may occur. The calculations are much simpler and error is much less with an auto-retard system. Auto-advance works, but it's not quite as precise in all conditions.

With auto-retard the module can calculate the firing angle over just a few degrees of crank angle in the current firing cycle. Auto- advance systems inherently must calculate over the last full 360 degrees of crank rotation and then average that with several previous cycles. This is because when auto advance senses in the current firing cycle that it should have fired, it is already 20 odd degrees too late to do so.

Auto-retard provides extreme accuracy and allows to actually anticipate rapid increases in RPM and compensate the timing for better engine response. This is achieved because the calculation time required is so minuscule as compared to the ignition firing rate.

Auto-retard requires an extremely accurate calculation be done extremely fast because it occurs within the current firing cycle. Auto-advance requires only remembering past cycle(s) and guessing what the next cycle should be. Both methods can be accomplished with discrete components. Newer auto-advance systems use micro-processors to reduce part count and increase accuracy.

Some more study for ya....
Old 01-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
Kahuna

I know nothing about Electronic ignition devices except the Pertronix triggers that I use in both my cars. I do know about the advantages of vacuum advance and wish I could incorporate it in my 11-A distributor on the Flathead in my 32.

However, when we ran my engine on the Dyno (twice), we were able to check the timing under load at 1000 rpm intervals to see if varying the timing made a difference in power output. With all 28 degrees of timing in @ 2000 rpm, there was little to NO difference by advancing or retarding the timing a couple of degrees. (this was time consuming exercise, as no one is allowed in the dyno cell when the engine is under load)

Had there been a great difference a t the various rpms, I would have attempted to modify the advance weights using my friend Larry's Sun distributor machine. Fortunately that wasn't necessary.

So, other than the vacuum advance, or lack of it in my case, I see no advantage to an electronic advance/retard module. Plus, to me , an early Flathead engine looks weird with a top mounted distributor. I like symmetry (sp?)

Just my thoughts
Jim

Last edited by Kahuna; 01-11-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

I'm not sure how they do this,but most cars today have computer controlled ignition timing and fuel delivery systems. Todays systems are very complicated and expensive. However GM started this back in the mid 80's with their first EMS using a simple throttle body. This system can be modified to run on any engine. Now, if a guy like me that likes to puts around can take the distributor (8BA) and trigger this system, he can run the ignition requirements of any engine quit accurately and the MAP sensor makes great mileage. I'm working on that. However I don't think that's necessary for getting the most from our flatheads. Just one of Bubba's distributors properly tuned for the application will do the trick.
Now the thing that confuses me is how you can get a flathead to run WOT at 28 degrees adv. MY engines would destroy them selves in just a few seconds. I must be missing something. I use 26-28 degs to burn the lean mixture in cruise. Ont the 294, I have 20* @ 2k any more and the thing hammers like hell. However in cruise 26 works just fine. Don't have any results on the 280 yet. You can also use an Ardeno(SP??) it has allot of memory and only costs 35 bucks.

Last edited by Ol' Ron; 01-11-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Richard in Florida

Quote:
i thought you might have been hanging out with Richard again...
OK, what does that mean?
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

Not to worry Richard, I have it covered. No harm, no foul. Just a little miss understanding,
Old 01-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #13
Flathead

That chevy distributor started in 1957 not 1955. The first two years were a different style.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #14
Ol' Ron

Well I'm disapointed in this thread. I was hoping for more of a discussion on tuning and combustion chambers than a few ruffeled feathers. For those wanting to get the best ignition system for your engine. The MSD and the Converted Delco unit properly set up is the ONLY way to go. Just remember the carburetor is part of the system and you'll get plenty of power as well as great mileage. Also running a rich mixture affects ring ware.
On to another project: The Loudon engine.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #15
RalphM

I haven't been thinking about ignition lately( as I have one of Bubba's Chevy conversions), but I have been thinking hard on carburetion.
I started out running my 52 Merc, 265 CI motor last year with an edelbrock triple setup. Three Chandler Groves carbs, only thing is I used two of Uncle Max's cheater plates to block off the end carbs. It ran great all summer, so I'm thinking of opening up the other two carbs, but I don't want to spend the entire next summer putzing around with them.
I really like the way it runs now, but I'm sure there's more power to be had, I've been mulling this over for awhile and still haven't decided if I'm going to do it or not.
Our summers are so short here you can't afford to waste even one weekend.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #16
shoe box Jack

I have tried two chev. dis. for my 49 one with a vac. advance and one from Bubba with out. The dis from Bubba is the best for my engine . Jack
shoe box Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #17
Scotty's 52 F3

Is there any advantage to running a converted distributor with vacuum advance on a stock engine VS the stock Load- a' matic? Assuming both being points.

Scott
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The mechanical and vacuum combination is better than the vacuum only on the original. And the mech/vac distributors are adjustable so they can be tuned for your application.

Last edited by JSeery; 01-12-2016 at 11:24 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #19
steves29

Hi fellas. Visiting here from over on the HAMB. I am running a sbc points distributor on my 53 239 , 3 94s on an edelbrock. I currently have the vac adv. capped. Is there much advantage to running man. vac to it?
steves29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #20
steves29

Here is a quick shot of my setup.10696209_1525589821011410_6997290953280630812_n.jpg
steves29 is offline   Reply With Quote