Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2023, 01:02 PM   #1
kurt v

Default head studs

Anyone having any trouble with the studs being sent out, motor i did maybe 2 yrs ago no problem put studs in, heads slid on all ok. All the studs looked the same upper threads, shanks and coarse thread for block, this new batch has got like odd ones mixed in some of the upper ones a tad long, shanks are not all the same and i think that the coarse threads going into the block some might not be cut square with the shank. I can slide the head down to where the all studs are flush with the top of the head but from there the head will have to be knocked down with a block of wood, i'm not going to do that, anyone else have this problem ? All the holes in the head have been WELL cleaned so should not be the problem.

rant over, thanks kurt
( i don't know how to do pics )
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:27 PM   #2
kurt v

Default Re: head studs

What happened to what Pete had to say, there was nothing there that was not true.
kurt
Old 07-21-2023, 08:08 PM   #3
jetmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt v View Post
What happened to what Pete had to say, there was nothing there that was not true.
kurt
Well?
Old 07-23-2023, 09:04 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

I'd sure not knock the heads down - as you will have a heck of a time getting them back off. One thing to ask - original cast iron heads or aluminum?

I don't use original style studs anymore - had too many issues with inferior materials, stretching, poor washers, etc.. I only use ARP studs/hardware - but I'm willing to pay the extra cost of them and they don't "look" stock due to the addition of the allen-wrench features in the tops of them (which I love - as I can remove studs to fix things like small leaks - without removing the heads).

I'd probably check with 3rd Gen to see if he has stud kits and inquire about the quality of them. My guess is that what he supplies (especially if on-shore manufactured) might be better than what you have.

As Pete noted, sometimes you have to "bend" them a bit (stock studs). I'd first try to figure out if some of them are not square to the deck and if so maybe swap them out or move them around a bit.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 09:45 AM   #5
kurt v

B&S, these are going in the junk pile, would you give out list or part numbers for what i will need of the of the ARP studs ? Remember the bad lifters now studs guess where they came from same order. Why should a person have to inquire about the quality of parts from a vendor when ordering they are supposed to be good quality. I'm not talking ebay you take a chance ordering from most of that stuff. This is not my first motor, being 73 i have done a lot of this kind of things and i don't bxxch until i have looked things over many times to try to find the problem. When parts come in kitchen style zip lock bags i just shake my head.

another rant
kurt
Old 07-23-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
OldGold360

I had a similar experience using heads studs bought from a reputable dealer. Most of the head studs were good but a couple had threads on the block end that were not true to the stud and the tops of the studs on about six of them were flat and not rounded like the others. It seems most companies are lacking in quality controls these days.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 02:35 PM   #7
Ronnieroadster

Today the poor poor qualify off shore studs are a gamble not worth taking. Like Dale wrote above for quality ARP is the way to go. For the best prices on ARP studs, washers and nuts I always use allensfasteners.com. An added bonus about Allen's they offer additional discounts when you order over 25 items of the same size this helps greatly when we need studs for a flathead.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #8
KiWinUS

Listen to Ronnie.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 07:48 PM   #9
Bored&Stroked

Hey Kurt - what heads are you running? The heads will determine the stud "package" that you need - due to the various length differences from the various manufacturers. They can generally be lumped into two main categories - those that use stock length studs and those that need longer studs on the lower portion - due to thick heads that hold more water.

Some heads also require a bit longer studs on a couple ones that are just above the bottom row . . . so it is a mixed bag of tricks!

Folks like Edelbrock made multiple styles of heads -- some used stock studs, some used longer studs on the bottom row.

Also, some head stud kits have 3 longer studs to use to mount a Fram style filter on. The length of these studs depends on whether you have stock heads, or ones with fins. Finned heads need longer studs and spacers so the bottom of the Fram filter sits above the fins. I make my spacers out of billet aluminum bars.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:20 AM   #10
kurt v

B&S, cast iron 59a, found the ARPs sight and a set 154-4105, will call allenfasteners also , give them the lenghts and amount of each.

thank you and the others (hope Pete's not in trouble)
kurt