Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2023, 10:07 PM   #1
Pamlico

Default Fuel pump interchange

I'm having issues with my 36 LB engine regarding fuel. There is no fuel filter so I want to add one. I have a fuel pump from a 51 truck motor with the built-in glass bowl filter. It will physically bolt up, but my concern is it having the correct "throw", that is enough to actuate the pump but not so much as to cause it to bottom out or jamb/bend or break anything. I can use the original "tower" with the oil fill cap and the original pump shaft. Am I setting myself up for failure or disappointment? Thanks in advance!
Pamlico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 01:50 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Fuel pump interchange

Yes, it will interchange with the earlier pump without damage. It may not be clocked to the same position as your current pump, but you should also know that if you are careful to preserve the gasket, you can remove the top and clock it to the new position without issue. Just know that even if in perfect working order, this change may not cure your stated fuel problem.
Tell us what that problem is, maybe we can suggest a solution that is meaningful.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:26 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

The original pump would have a screen for a filter under the top cover and a sediment drain on the side of the pump
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
Pamlico

Alan, I did clock it over 1 click and it sits nice and close to the firewall now. Kurt, I didn't know about the screen in the original pump and I was wondering what that petcock was for. This is a car I just bought and I am in the early stages of sorting it out. I has been sitting for 4 or 5 years. The seller told me he replaced the tank but it has that varnish smell. She will fire right up and idle beautifully, but is hesitant to take gas when you step on it. It has a model 59 Holley on it and I have had it apart twice now. I pumped out what gas I could (a couple of gallons) and put some fresh in it. Thank you for your replies.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:01 PM   #5
38 coupe

The 51 fuel pump is not the same as the 47-48 fuel pump with sediment bowl. The later pumps have a flange that hangs down lower below the hold down bolts. I haven't tried the later pump on an earlier engine but apparently it works. The earlier pump on a later engine is a poor idea.

Pamlico, have you checked that the accelerator pump is working properly? You should have two streams of gasoline in the carburetor when you open the throttle, one for each barrel.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:55 PM   #6
Pamlico

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
38 coupe, yes I have checked the accelerator pump and had the little check ball out(it was stuck both times). I will take it apart again and do a more thorough cleaning. I will probably end up taking the tank off for cleaning and to blow out the line to the front.
Old 03-04-2023, 10:06 AM   #7
5851a

After the tank and lines are cleaned out with fresh fuel it wouldn't hurt to use some seafoam or MMO for awhile.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:49 AM   #8
Terry,OH

The later fuel pump may not have the correct threaded openings for input and output. They went to NPT thread the slightly earlier pump with the filter does have the correct threaded openings with seats and will work properly if in good condition. Both pumps are identical in outward appearance.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 02:48 PM   #9
Pamlico

Terry, you are right. I had to use some adapters to go from NPT to compression fittings. Luckily, I had two. Thanks for the heads up.