Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
Jordan

Default Around the World Cars- Where are they today?

In the early 80's (I think 1982) there were 4 Model A's that went around the world together. Bruce Davis was the lead car and he still has his a400. I met him at the MAFCA national awards banquet in December and he was very nice. One question I did not ask him about his trip was "where are the other cars now?"

Does anyone know? Would be neat to know the adventures they have been on since.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:07 AM   #2
Stretch Cab

Default Re: Around the World Cars- Where are they today?

Funny how some post go unanswered. I figured several people would have known the answer to this question. I need to look into the background of this question as I never heard of the trip.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
Dennisfly

There is a video presentation given by one of the participants in that journey that was made years ago. It was shown at one of our club meetings over a year ago. It is of poor video and audio quality being old, but it is fascinating. He recounts being partially sponsored by Jim Beam, dealing with customs in the UK, being broken down in the Middle East and having to camp in the desert and maintain a low profile all night to avoid hostiles, being hosted by other Model A people in various countries, and flying back from Australia in a 747 with their cars in the cargo hold and the crew coming back to view the car while in flight. Very worthwhile viewing!
Old 02-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #4
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisfly View Post
There is a video presentation given by one of the participants in that journey that was made years ago. It was shown at one of our club meetings over a year ago. It is of poor video and audio quality being old, but it is fascinating. He recounts being partially sponsored by Jim Beam, dealing with customs in the UK, being broken down in the Middle East and having to camp in the desert and maintain a low profile all night to avoid hostiles, being hosted by other Model A people in various countries, and flying back from Australia in a 747 with their cars in the cargo hold and the crew coming back to view the car while in flight. Very worthwhile viewing!
Is this video on YouTube or anything like that?
Old 02-02-2022, 10:08 AM   #5
Dennisfly

Jordan,

Not that I know of. I'll check with another club member that may know where to find it.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
Dennisfly

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here is a link to an article about this. This is part 1 but I can't find a part 2!

https://www.theunion.com/entertainme...a-ford-part-1/
Old 02-02-2022, 12:21 PM   #7
AYooperA

I took these pictures of the World Model A’s at the National meet 1986 Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. The Gentlemen in the yellow shirt is fellow Club Member George Klecka Salt Creek A’s. Assume Gentlemen in coveralls is the Owner mentioned in above posts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2D555492-CF28-4D2B-936F-0441D976C48E.jpg (77.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 476BBD5F-4C9C-49C1-8580-AE423F586695.jpg (92.3 KB, 199 views)
AYooperA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
Ray in La Mesa

Yes, that is Doc Ingerson, the owner of the coupe.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:02 PM   #9
Brentwood Bob

Worked on Davis's car at the 98 Reno mafca national. Had a second tank that gave him some extra range. Was not allowed near Doc's car, as I recall. And our club ran the repair tent.
There were some stories Davis had that made a book.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #10
Doug Linden

The Model A's on the trip consisted of the Bruce & Diane Davis' A400, Bob & Dottie Meyers' Coupe, Doc & Darlene Ingwersen's Victoria and Curt Peterson Special Delivery.
Bob and Doc past away a number of years ago and I believe the families sold those cars. I am sure they are still around somewhere.
Last time I heard Curt was evaluating a potential buyer of his Special Delivery, I'm not sure if a deal was made. Bruce still owns his A400.
So, the cars are still around but I'm not sure how active they are.
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:24 PM   #11
AYooperA

Another picture I found of the World Tour Victoria. Has the unique California plate, and a USC fan too. Strike my comment regarding Gentleman in yellow shirt from my club. Was a another Gentleman from the Wisconsin Chapter nosing around the car like me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C9261A7-A96A-4633-ACC8-0675D1EDE38F.jpg (78.6 KB, 174 views)
AYooperA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
mercman from oz

Pictures of the World Model A’s at the National meet 1986 Lake Geneva, Wisconsin - AYooperA
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:51 PM   #13
Synchro909

I remember hearing about a group of crazy yanks doing this and hearing of their progress across Australia but I'm surprised it was that long ago. IMO, driving a Model A around the world is no big deal. A well prepared car would do it easily and repairs (if any) are so easy with parts so readily available. How many miles did they do?
Just yesterday, I was looking at the history of a couple of my engines. The one in the tourer, the car we use outback has done 44,000 miles with camper trailer attached. It works very hard all day, every day for months on end. A solo car's engine gets a much easier life so if mine has done 44K and still going, it all proves the ruggedness of these cars.
I have a friend who hasn't posted here for a while who, in 2013 drove a 1913 Model T from Melbourne, Australia to Moscow with absolutely no support. No other person, no support car - nothing. I have listened for hours to his stories and could sit for as long again, I'm sure to hear it all.
I think it was in the 1980s that a race was held from London to Sydney, Australia for vintage cars. One was a Model A driven by 2 friends. It wasn't the fastest car but finished well ahead of "better" cars. The contestants could choose heir own route but they had to do a certain distance. The A drivers chose to take the most direct route to Australia taking security into account, then to get up the mileage, do a lap of the continent where security was no issue. One would drive while the other slept. They drove at a modest speed but for stints of many hours to cover the miles. By the time they finished, the car was thoroughly worn out but was rebuilt and as far as I know, is still going.
You might have guessed by now that I love the idea of covering lonnnng distances in an A one way or another and do it whenever I can.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote