Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2022, 12:15 AM   #181
GB SISSON

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gray,
The seat look perfect! Hope it feels as good as it looks! Seats are a priority with me too!
Nice work. The results look amazing like original!
Regards,
Chris
I stuffed the seat back this morning. In the pic with the bare spring seat back, thats when the base was in the parts truck.. Confusing even for me.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:32 PM   #182
GB SISSON

Tonight I was coming home from a jobsite in my 92 f350 and on our gravel road I encountered the 10' downspout that fell off my truck on the last test drive. Looked like it had been run over at least 3 times and chucked into the brush.... Funny, I had just picked up the muffler and pipe for the real system I'm gonna build. None of my car repair buddies had an exhaust system behind their shop. Scrap prices have finally been rising. Really sucks to have to go 'store bought'.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-08-2022, 11:13 PM   #183
cas3

No swing set tubing or picnik table legs available? In my neighborhood, most of us have been here a long time, 45 years for me. There are three of us who do a lot of fabricating, and also have a very good stash of "junk" and tools. When I need something simple like one piece of steel, or need a reamer/tap/drill bit, etc, that I dont have, you just go take it/ borrow it. No locked doors, and they do the same to me. Its an understanding between those of us who can contribute back. Then...there's the ones who sweep the floor and throw away all the nuts and bolts then come to me when they need something. Its 6 miles to town, and they usually dont have that special thing you want. But...To most, I look like a hoarder, well, unless they want something
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:46 AM   #184
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
No swing set tubing or picnik table legs available? In my neighborhood, most of us have been here a long time, 45 years for me. There are three of us who do a lot of fabricating, and also have a very good stash of "junk" and tools. When I need something simple like one piece of steel, or need a reamer/tap/drill bit, etc, that I dont have, you just go take it/ borrow it. No locked doors, and they do the same to me. Its an understanding between those of us who can contribute back. Then...there's the ones who sweep the floor and throw away all the nuts and bolts then come to me when they need something. Its 6 miles to town, and they usually dont have that special thing you want. But...To most, I look like a hoarder, well, unless they want something
A month ago I came home from the dump with a firewood rack made from two inverted U shaped steel tubes. There are sockets at the bottom to accept two 2x4s of any length. These should yield the up and over the rear axle sections. Along with the muffler I picked up three elbows and two pieces of 18" straight. I do like the easy assembly with the enlarged bell at one end.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:20 PM   #185
GB SISSON

The firewood rack was 1 1/2" Bummer. Muffler is on. Real quiet. Did a compression check. Never seen one like this. Starting with #1..... 123, 122. 121,120, 119, 118. Good numbers for sure, but an interesting sequence. And my Sears Allstate vacuum gauge mounted on the intake manifold is now showing 21" steady at a slow idle. I think I mentioned the engine came from a totally restored 51 panel that got backed into hard in a parking lot and totalled. Lucky me.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #186
cas3

Maybe a good day to buy a lottery ticket?
Old 02-13-2022, 10:55 PM   #187
GB SISSON

Quote:
Maybe a good day to buy a lottery ticket?
Heck, I already bought two.... One in about 1998 in Canada and once down here about 15 years ago. I didn't win.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:01 PM   #188
GB SISSON

Got a little time in the afternoon sun. I had hacked the rear bumper off to steal the bed from 'uncle oscar' because the farmer had welded it onto the frame AND the bed/fenders. When I mounted it on this truck there was a huge gap so my kid and I went down and torched the middle section out and welded it back in. I am still gonna pull the box to do rear brakes etc and at that time I will make some serious mounts between both parts for serious towing, which I have been known to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bumper with section.jpg (158.0 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg Bumper welded back in.jpg (166.6 KB, 222 views)
Old 02-13-2022, 11:21 PM   #189
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Heck, I already bought two.... One in about 1998 in Canada and once down here about 15 years ago. I didn't win.
Last ticket I bought I was soooo close. Only missed winning by 5 numbers. Rats. I figure I'd be better off flushing my money down the toilet. When the septic tank gets pumped at least I'd get my money back.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:54 PM   #190
petehoovie

Quote:
Got a little time in the afternoon sun. I had hacked the rear bumper off to steal the bed from 'uncle oscar' because the farmer had welded it onto the frame AND the bed/fenders. When I mounted it on this truck there was a huge gap so my kid and I went down and torched the middle section out and welded it back in. I am still gonna pull the box to do rear brakes etc and at that time I will make some serious mounts between both parts for serious towing, which I have been known to do.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:39 PM   #191
Tinker

Nice work
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM   #192
sugarmaker

Well Gary hasn't posted since Valentines day? Humm, wonder if things are Ok on the island? My guess is he has the truck done and is driving it around having a grand time!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:17 AM   #193
GB SISSON

Not exactly.... My work load has been very demanding in the wood shop. Trying to finish up a 3 month project so I can start 4 more that are on the books. I keep trying to learn how to say NO, but the island is being taken over by techies who have fled the cities and the covid and can work from home, and there are many from our generation who are retiring here. On Tuesday I met with the granddaughter of the founder of a certain Seattle aviation company and her contractor, and took on a set of cabinets from reclaimed lumber to be installed mid-spring. I did however, work on Old Green til 10:30 on Wednesday night, as that's my wife's 24 hour shift night. Finished up the rear bumper and a few other small tasks.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:33 PM   #194
GB SISSON

Truck project and a project that pays the monthly expenses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big green bumper.jpg (123.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Trumnull Island.jpg (131.6 KB, 173 views)
Old 02-19-2022, 12:06 AM   #195
cas3

Pretty cool table, is it new/made to look old, or in for restoration? After the 24hr shift I hope you make breakfast at least for the poor woman, maybe wash and wax her FJ 40 !
Old 02-19-2022, 12:46 AM   #196
petehoovie

Quote:
A project that pays the monthly expenses.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #197
sugarmaker

Gary,
The bumper looks very original. You may have to come to Albion PA to patina the truck door if I ever get to that project.
That is a sturdy looking table. The vertical board under neath is interesting? Whats the back story on that unit? Is the drawer functional?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-19-2022, 09:55 AM   #198
GB SISSON

Quote:
Pretty cool table, is it new/made to look old, or in for restoration? After the 24hr shift I hope you make breakfast at least for the poor woman, maybe wash and wax her FJ 40 !
The table is a center island for a kitchen made from mostly salvaged wood last week and painted with rustoleum rusty metal primer, then Ace hardware gray primer, then an acrylic water based dark gray, then glazed over with minwax walnut stain. The top is 2 1/4" elm, cut here on the island. I used to do a lot of huge cabinet projects with a crew of 3-4, but now I stay very busy with doors, tables and accent pieces in this style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mutiny-Bay-Retreat_2000_h_gallery10.jpg (58.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-19-2022, 10:43 AM   #199
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gary,
The bumper looks very original. You may have to come to Albion PA to patina the truck door if I ever get to that project.
That is a sturdy looking table. The vertical board under neath is interesting? Whats the back story on that unit? Is the drawer functional?
Regards,
Chris
Hi Chris, I guess we were typing at the same time. The code requires an outlet in a center island and there is a chase in the vertical divider to conceal the wire. The contractor thinks there should be an outlet on both sides, but I'm holding out for just one, on the kitchen side and not showing an outlet from the living area side. And yes, the drawers are functional. There is a structural 3/4 plywood box about 5 1/2" deep at the top to house the drawers and slides, and to give the top end extra strength. And Pete, thanks again for doing mine and other's photo sizing!
Old 02-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #200
sugarmaker

Gary,
A compromise might be a outlet at both ends on the kitchen side only? Cords could then each the front side too? We only have one outlet on our island and sometimes could use another one.
It looks grand!
Your sure have the antiquing looks down pat!
Ok your teasing us with the sliding barn doors.......
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets