Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
SANTA Ray

Default 12V Conversion

My 6V battery has gone bad. Checking on a replacement I am finding some of the suppliers are dropping the item and when available the price keeps going up. Soo I'm thinking about converting to 12V. I'm not unhappy with the 6V system but traveling a lot if a replacement battery is needed the 12V will be available in many towns and the 12V headlights are much better.

What do you guys think?
SANTA Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: 12V Conversion

It's your car! But properly restored/focused 6 volt lights are just as good as 12 volt.

http://vickyman.tripod.com/12volt.html
Old 06-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I never have a problem finding 6 volt batteries. All the tractor stores have them, and most auto stores have them or can get them in a day.

Look for one made by E.P.M. in Baltimore. That's the one I have in my 28 which I picked out of the battery box at the recycling yard over 10 years ago, anf it's still going strong. 1000 amps and it says Model 901. I've never had a 12 volt battery last this long.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Terry,NJ

Tractor Supply is one retailer that has them and the 8Vs too if you feel the need. I have a local store, called the Battery Warehouse that sells any voltage battery for anything at much lower prices. I was surprised that they had 6V batteries for less than TSC. Check around! It'll cost you a young fortune to change to 12V with very little advantage.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
SANTA Ray

To my surprise I found Auto Zone & Advance had dropped the 6V battery. NAPA and Tractor Supply still have them but about $90. I am not having problems with my 6V system and have fought my comrades using 12V. Driving at night still is my problem. I use Quartz bulbs but spotting those pesky deer in time still worries me. I'm in a rural area of GA and see them frequently. We have bent some modern steel on our 4 legged friends over the years.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANTA Ray View Post
To my surprise I found Auto Zone & Advance had dropped the 6V battery. NAPA and Tractor Supply still have them but about $90. I am not having problems with my 6V system and have fought my comrades using 12V. Driving at night still is my problem. I use Quartz bulbs but spotting those pesky deer in time still worries me. I'm in a rural area of GA and see them frequently. We have bent some modern steel on our 4 legged friends over the years.
The best way to spot those giant forest rats is with a laser scope on a high powered rifle.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Terry,NJ

In my area of NJ, It was known as "Jersey Pork". I knew a couple of families that didn't eat much else. And we used a .22 LR
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The best way to spot those giant forest rats is with a laser scope on a high powered rifle.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
700rpm

At a recent seminar a club member showed the variations of voltage and reflectors on eight different lights, including 12v. The main difference was determined by the reflectors. Originals resilvered were the best; Bratton's new repros came in close second. Sealed beams were not tested. 6v or 12v seemed about the same. This test is going to be written up and presented in The Restorer. I'd advise waiting to read that before changing over to 12v. It takes more than just trading out the batteries.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Sometimes, lights do not matter, I was driving down a 5 lane road in 2012 in my 2007 Jeep Liberty, in the city mind you, it was the 1st of Nov. and it was 5pm still light and I was west bound driving at 43mph, I glance at my speed for a split second and when I looked up, it was like been in one of those auto car washer where you cannot see a damn thing... Time itself was in slow motion.... A deer covered 100% of the front of my windshield, the belly of the deer was 3-4" above my wipers and I could see the dirt was on its side of it. It was like 1" foot in front of the windshield and as it hit, the windshield chattered like snow, and all I thought was you SOB Engineer I hope like hell you did a good job!... They did!! the deer went over the roof... The jeep was a total loss... All in lots of traffic, lots of cars in the city... I am very thankful to be alive today!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
CarlG

Hi Ray,
Converting to 12 volt was pretty painless for me. The most expensive part was the battery. All the bulbs had to be changed out anyway since a short caused the generator to run away with it self and burned out every bulb in the truck.

Of course during the "driving season" here, it's more important that others see you, than being able to see the deer in the headlights (as you well know). So it doesn't make much difference if it's 6 or 12, as long as they shine. LED tail lights are a must, can't see the little original lights in the nighttime daylight.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Brentwood Bob

Add a step down for the horn and the windshield wiper. And probably a total rewire job if you have used wiring. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
Patrick L.

If you till feel the need to convert to 12v, then along with the bulbs you'll need to do something to reduce voltage to the points. Either check the coil for 1.5 vs 3.0 ohms and/or add an external resistor [ there are a couple ways to do this].
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
SANTA Ray

Thanks guys I bought a 6V battery at Tractor Supply and will stay stock.
CRAIG I do have the LED tail lights and agree they are needed. I often talk about the 6/21 car show you took us to when in AK. Looking into Quartz 6v Headlight system. TOM also checking on the scope and hood mount for my rifle.