Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Jim in S.C.

Default floor mat

Does anyone know of a supplier of rubber floor mats without the holes cut out? It would be helpful when the late model transmission tower is in a different location. I need one for a 31 coupe.
Jim in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
Charles Reese

Default Re: floor mat

Am also interested in a proper mat for the early '28 with brake lever on left (outside mat).
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Jim in S.C.

Charles,You would think with all the knowledge on this the ford barn that someone would have the answer to our question!
Jim in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Dennis Haag

I am also interested. I purchased one many years ago that I had to cut all the openings. Have not been able to find one since. I have a 28 delivery with brake to the left.
Dennis Haag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in S.C. View Post
Does anyone know of a supplier of rubber floor mats without the holes cut out? It would be helpful when the late model transmission tower is in a different location. I need one for a 31 coupe.
I'm bringing this back to the top to see if there's any new responses. I need one too.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Jim Boehmke

The mat I got from Le Barron Bonney was not like an original. Holes around shift tower and brake were sloopy and to big. I called them and they sent me some squares of the diamond rubber. I used Krazy glue for everything. Glued heavy cloth backing to under side of mat, oriented the new rubber to match the diamonds on the mat and then glued everything firmly down. It all came our great. Seam lines are almost invisible. Great care must be taken with the Exacto knive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1411.jpg (111.8 KB, 36 views)
Jim Boehmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Jim, contact Don Snyder and see if he would be interested in special ordering a few mats that way but do understand that this "option" may actually cost you as much as double the cost of a regular mat. Plus, the stamping dies very well may have the starter, foot rest and accelerator holes included so now you may need to eliminate those holes too.

The reason why I am thinking the costs could be as much as doubled is because of all the extra "manpower" necessary to accommodate your request during the process. When he places the order, his buyer will need to spend extra time to ensure this gets properly communicated to the factory on exactly which punched holes you are wanting deleted, ...which their sales will need to communicate this to line worker exactly what you are requesting, which will require extra work to remove from the automated process, which then will require separate packaging & paperwork during shipping, which will then require extra labour time in Receiving to check them in and set them off to the side, inventoried with a special sku, and then keep up with them until you can be contacted to let you know they are there. The profit margins on mats alone is not very much anyway and this amount of extra "handling" would very likely eat all the profits to be made unless there was a surcharge paid by you. Maybe if you were to offer to order 10 mats, this may be enough to persuade him and then you can sell the remaining mats to other needy folks who are in your shoes. Just a thought...... Shoot him an e-mail and see what he says.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Charles Reese

I don't wish to be the 'point man' on this, but if you do make contact with Snyder or the supplier, would you ask if they would be interested in making a high quality 'early' (left hand brake) version? However, as Mr. Terry states, there may not be enough early folks out here interested in them to make the process/price affordable.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
John LaVoy

I would be interested in the early left hand brake version.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #10
dave in australia

I won't even ask about RHD versions.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #11
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I can do a right hand drive .possibly untrimmed Transmission hole ..Splatter pattern .Ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in S.C. View Post

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
I can do a right hand drive .possibly untrimmed Transmission hole ..Splatter pattern .Ted
Ted, if you can make a floor mat for A's with the splatter pattern I have a question. Could you make one for a Slant Windshield Cabriolet rumble floor? I would be interested even from NZ.
I would also like to know if you have ever met or know of a friend of mine from over there? His name is Jim Hanham and is very into early Ford hot rods and customs.
Thanks, James.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
FlatheadTed

Hi James yes I know Jim I was talking to him a couple of weeks back .He has the Blue Mormon 34 Roadster ,Mats are a volume thing and we only have the one .and the pedal mat ,Ted

Old 11-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
James Rogers

You might be able to sell quite a few since there is none to be had and it is a simple mat. Just a thought. Here are a couple of pics of Jim's cars. I shipped him the hemi in the roadster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim's Cars.jpg (67.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg NZ article.jpg (69.9 KB, 17 views)
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
pick

I'm certain that if Ted, or anyone else, would take the initiative to mfg. mats without holes they would sell. I have the truck 4 spd. overdrive in my "A", so I too would love to find a proper mat. I'm sure those with similar set ups and those with the T5 setups would lso be interested. Bottom line, if a supplier is located please post the info here on the Barn so we all know!!!
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:45 AM   #16
FlatheadTed

Jim Hannons car ,The local hot Rod mag did a article on this blue 34 a old hot rod from the 60s it had two Mormons most likly from salt Lake city driving it ,About 30 years ago a guy here gave me a old photo of his 34 Roadser he said he no longer new were it was now,After reading the article I I realized this was his car it was dragged out of the roof of a Barn in 2009. I will post some info on the Mats soon .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kumiu o9 008.jpg (105.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-16-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #17
Gravelroad

I too would be interested in an E28 floor mat.
Gravelroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #18
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick View Post
... I have the truck 4 spd. overdrive in my "A", so I too would love to find a proper mat. ...
I'm in the process of doing this as well. I just figured that I'd take it to a carpet place and have them build me a new one, using the old one for a pattern & cutting the holes in the correct places.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote