Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
raceron1120

Default '56 Hardtop Window Adjustments

Has anyone had problems getting their windows adjusted to fit straight, into the flippers at the top?

The regulators were removed, rollers replaced and they were reinstalled in the doors. And the flippers have been reconditioned and replaced onto the roof line and everything seems to line up perfectly from the outside.

But when trying to adjust the door windows to fit into the top flipper and seal along the rear windows, the back of the glass won't go all the way up - it hits the bump stop inside the door. We've tried all the known adjustments in order to get them to allign but can't seem to figure out how to get the back of the door glass to "set" into the flipper. Closest we've been able to get it is about 1/2" lower than the front.

Has anyone else had problems like this?

Ron
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
50Fraud

Default Re: '56 Hardtop Window Adjustments

I regret that I can't solve your problem, but I feel your pain. On my car, all the pieces are in place, and I can raise and lower my windows, but they are very hard to crank and the door windows are clearly misaligned. The flippers don't work at all.

I would be delighted to learn of any how-to information that may exist about restoration and alignment of the window and flipper mechanisms.
50Fraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Retro Jim

50 Fraud , have you ever lubed the old rollers and window guides it slides in ? That should take care of you problem ! That is what I did to fix mine . Also a very small amount of WD-40 on the inside the window rubber it slides in will help also .

Jim
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Retro Jim

raceron1120 , sound like someone changed the inside parts and the arms that go from the bottom up that it slides on is out of wack . Check to make sure everything is attached to the door . Also check the regulator parts and guides . Something just might be loose or not attached correctly .
One other thing , are you sure the window is being held in place on that metal strip it sits in ? Sometimes the old felt inside gets dried up and the window sometimes comes loose on one side .
Just trying to cover all the bases !

Jim
Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
raceron1120

Thanks to all for the input, I can't say it's nice to know others have the same problem, but at least I'm not alone here.

50Fraud, those flippers are a real pain in the backside to rebuild, I don't think they were built to be repaired. Mac's and probably others have replacement springs and those little nylon tabs for them. But the fuzzies/catwhiskers are crimped in and it takes some effort to R&R them without screwing the stainless. I did it and they work but they're not perfect.

Another HAMBer sent me a link for repairing the flippers - it's for Chevies of same era but other than fitment they work exactly like the Fords. Here's the link:
http://www.classicchevy.com/assets/pdf/36-40.pdf?

And yes as RetroJim says it's very important to either replace the rollers or if they're good, make sure they're well lubed. My rear regulators had so much old caked-up crud in the slides they barely moved. I replaced all the rollers in mine and cleaned & lubed the slides with lots of white grease and they glide good as new.

Jim the regulators were removed, rollers replaced and reinstalled. One glass was replaced but the other one was okay. Both are seated securely in the mount with glass/seal tape. Problem is, there doesn't seem to be enough adjustment as we can't get the back of the glass to seat into the flipper, it's about 1/2" below the flipper seal and hits the lower bump/stop which is adjusted all the way up (front is adjusted down but hits & closes the flipper). Odd thing is, both sides are same. It's about the only adjustment we can find in there, as other other attaching points seem properly alligned.

Sealing to the back window is another issue but I think once we get the door glasses properly aligned, getting the rear windows to seal can be done with less effort.

I appreciate all the assist on this so far. Has anyone else anything to add here? Obviously my Vicky isn't the only one with this problem. Thx
Ron
Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
raceron1120

So I'm looking for anything that might give a clue as to WHY? And since the tri-5 Chevy hardtops used the same type flippers, I hit the tri-five.com forums. Sure 'nough some of those guys are having difficulties too.

Best explanation I found there (so far) is below:
  • It took me hours but I whipped this one. Of course first and most important when the door is closed does it fit into the frame correctly. They are right the frame above the door is curved, and the flipper is straight. There are rubber seals but as mentioned they are the same thickness from end to end. That was my first attempt. 1 layer on each end then doubling up as I got towards the center. It didn't seal well where the steps in the rubber were. I tossed the rubber.

I suggest you try this. There are three mounting screws, front, middle and rear. Put a screw in the front and the rear holes leave the center one out. tighten them slightly so the flipper does not bow, See if the flipper closes normally with the door, if it does, slip a couple of thin washers as a spacer in the middle of the bow and insert the center screw through them. Tighen it up, Try it agian. Keep trying this until you get a good snap when the flipper closes. Sometimes you will need to place a washer or two in the other locations. I am not sure of the thinkness but I think I ended up using 3, 1 mil washers in the middle of mine.

Now the messy part. Once you get it working take it out and use a layer of (I am sorry I can't remember the name of this) I think it is called strip putty or chalk. It is thick black and gooey. I got it at Napa. Put the assembly back in. And clean up the mess you made with the putty.

This was one of the most rewarding accomplishments in my last rebuild. I fought with it for a long time then gave up when I saw Vic Edlebrocks 57 Chevy on the front of Hot Rod magazine with the flipper popped up on the passanger side. I figured if he could not get his fixed I was out of luck.

Be patient you can get it.
He might be onto something that will work. Instead of trying to seal the window with by adjusting the regulator, it might be solved by adjusting the amount of seal and bow in the flippers. Details might be a little bit different and I don't think there's much bow in the roofline on Fords, but I'm going to take a look at mine later.

Oh and I should add here too that I picked up a set of '56-7 Lincoln flippers off that e-auction site for a few bucks, - MUCH less than used '56s. I have a second set for my car but the little hinge-thingies are both broken and unusable as-is. The hinges are riveted onto the stainless and I couldn't find anyone that sells repops so thought I'd take a chance on the lincolns. Althought the flippers won't fit Vicky's, the hinges, springs and tabs all look the same and should make good donors.

Last edited by raceron1120; 05-11-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
Retro Jim

Was everything working fine before you changed the rollers ?

Jim
Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
raceron1120

Yes both front regulators worked before they were removed. Worst thing was that they were terribly gunked up with fifty-some years of crud and old lubricant, and the rollers needed replacing. Flippers also worked but the fuzzy catwhiskers were nearly gone, springs were broken or badly rusted and one tab/hinge was broken.

I looked at the flippers last night, they're still on the car but after piddling around with one it looks like if I do what the writer said by building up the area between the roof and flipper mounting surface I can at least get them to seal into the flippers.

I'm going to pull one or both of them off the car this weekend. I'll post success or failure here.
ron
Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Gerry

I got the fuzzys from Restoration Specialties They talked me through the rebuilding of the flippers, Really came out good for a driver.. I also adjusted the flippers, was able to get them to close pretty good, (for an amature). Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Gerry

Found this, They do have an on line catalog, at one time they rebuilt flippers but too time consuming they say, but they are helpfull. Gerry
http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
raceron1120

Yes, Restoration Specialties is where I got the catwhiskers/fuzzies, I bought bulk and cut it to fit the flippers. It takes time and they're not easy to rebuild but I also didn't do too bad for a rookie. I have a second set and will take a bit more time and try & do better with them when I rebuild 'em next winter. I wish someone would repop the tab hinges, 2 of mine were rusted & broken, unusable.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
oldgas

Ron:
I had to take a die grinder to my window stops to elonggate the ajustment holes is there anymore ajustment in your door hinges?
Ron.
oldgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
raceron1120

The doors are aligned perfectly so I really don't want to mess with them if I don't have to. Front vent windows are perfectly aligned to the A-pillar too.

I think I've pretty-much figured them out, maybe not perfect but with some give&take on the window track adjustment and tweaking the flippers and back window moldings using the adjustment method with washers/spacers as mentioned above.

I kinda mocked up the right side so the top molding & flipper aligned front to back, windows seal between door & quarter glass, and the flipper 'flipped'. It's not perfect but is okay both to look at and for function. I'm gonna drive it around & let it shake out a bit and see how it goes. If more adjustment is needed I just might end up elongating the adjuster holes as you suggested Ron.

Thanks for all the tips!
Ron
Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
MERRELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceron1120 View Post
Yes, Restoration Specialties is where I got the catwhiskers/fuzzies, I bought bulk and cut it to fit the flippers. It takes time and they're not easy to rebuild but I also didn't do too bad for a rookie. I have a second set and will take a bit more time and try & do better with them when I rebuild 'em next winter. I wish someone would repop the tab hinges, 2 of mine were rusted & broken, unusable.
how did you repair the broken tabs? im trying to rebuild the flippers for my 56 merc
MERRELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:39 AM   #15
raceron1120

I haven't found anyone that has reproduced the tab/hinges yet.

2 of mine were broken too but I had an extra set of flippers with good tabs. Unless someone else knows where to find them, check around & see if you can find a set of used flippers.

I got a set from a '56 Lincoln - tabs are same and I think they're also the same for Chevies from the same years.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I just got all new glass for my 56 Crown Victoria. I am going to try to change all the glass mysely even the winfshild and backglass.I got vent window frams comming in the mail maybe this week???Right now the windows roll uo and down very nice hope so after I change the glass.I am going to wait till fall before I tackle this job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56 Rear Nice.jpg (61.9 KB, 2 views)
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote