Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #21
Tim Ayers

Default Re: 59a Engine Failed Big Time.

I'm sorry to hear about this blow up.

I tore down a 99A Merc motor that was running. Two of four rod bearings were split into two even halves and and down to the copper. One of the journals was egg shaped as seen by eye. Motor ran and did not knock. Can’t always tell condition by hearing it run or looking at it all together.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-19-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #22
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I'm sorry to hear about this blow up.

I tore down a 99A Merc motor that was running. Two of four rod bearings were split into two even halves and and down to the copper. One of the journals was egg shaped as seen by eye. Motor ran and did not knock. Can’t always tell condition by hearing it run or looking at it all together.
Totally agree. Having more or less established the chain of events of failure,
ie: rod let go, then punched up into cam etc.
The next most important issue to ensure I do not have to "write off" the money I paid in good faith for an inspected, some parts replaced as seen to be needed,
engine. This I will pursue by either mutual negotiation with seller or other means. I will not accept a total loss from my side on this deal.
In the meantime working to ensure original engine from the car is rebuilt to a good reliable standard. Appreciate all advice and comments.
Phil NZ
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-21-2020, 10:59 PM   #23
Brian

Appreciate all advice and comments.

Ok, in my opinion, do the work yourself. Then you know what you've got. Don't try and get it on the cheap. It is getting harder and harder to find, for example, an engine reconditioner who cares enough to do a good job. Most seem to have the attitude 'it's only an old flathead'.

Find an old guy that owns a machine shop, drives a flathead Ford, that is prepared to do exactly what you want. They need to have the passion. Some could say a flathead is just like any other engine; do they understand the different valve angles and cut the seats accordingly, or do they 'fix' the problem and set the valve seat heights the same on each bank? [I've had it happen]
Do they understand floating bearings? Etc....
Be prepared to pay for this sort of expertise/experience.
The more you can undertake yourself the better, otherwise, find that cranky old flathead driving, machine shop owner, get on good terms with him, and be prepared to fork out dollars.
My advice, sorry.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:45 PM   #24
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Appreciate all advice and comments.

Ok, in my opinion, do the work yourself. Then you know what you've got. Don't try and get it on the cheap. It is getting harder and harder to find, for example, an engine reconditioner who cares enough to do a good job. Most seem to have the attitude 'it's only an old flathead'.

Find an old guy that owns a machine shop, drives a flathead Ford, that is prepared to do exactly what you want. They need to have the passion. Some could say a flathead is just like any other engine; do they understand the different valve angles and cut the seats accordingly, or do they 'fix' the problem and set the valve seat heights the same on each bank? [I've had it happen]
Do they understand floating bearings? Etc....
Be prepared to pay for this sort of expertise/experience.
The more you can undertake yourself the better, otherwise, find that cranky old flathead driving, machine shop owner, get on good terms with him, and be prepared to fork out dollars.
My advice, sorry.
Brian, Thanks as always for your helpful comments and advice.
This is exactly what I am doing now. Have found a local engine shop locally in Rangiora. Dropped the block off with all striiped out bar C/shaft & C/shaft. They know and work on flatheads and others.
Had a long face to face with owner, and had my specific list of all items I require to be done. I am sourcing all parts. Will be keeping close contact to ensure all is progressing as expected. He has a copy of all my items to be completed together with a reasonable time frame. I am hopeful, will be doing all except for machine work as listed.
Phil NZ.
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote