Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2023, 08:54 AM   #61
51504bat

Default Re: Two spoke, three spoke, or four spoke wheel?

Next I started putting carraige bolts in the top of dash panel holes. The nuts are a pain to get started up behind.

I use one of these for jobs like that. I got mine at Amazon but they are available elsewhere as well. But I sure with a little back woods ingenuity you could fab one up with an old glove, a small magnet, and some ca glue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fm.jpg (26.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-19-2023, 02:40 PM   #62
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Next I started putting carraige bolts in the top of dash panel holes. The nuts are a pain to get started up behind.

I use one of these for jobs like that. I got mine at Amazon but they are available elsewhere as well. But I sure with a little back woods ingenuity you could fab one up with an old glove, a small magnet, and some ca glue.
That's a great idea! When my youngest kid worked for me in the woodshop I would often spirit him away to my truck repair facility to reach into areas where my numb old, saw mangled fingers couldn't bend to.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-24-2023 at 04:03 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #63
GB SISSON

Coincidence? I think not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foyota script.jpg (111.3 KB, 127 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-24-2023, 04:23 PM   #64
51504bat

Old 04-24-2023, 05:11 PM   #65
GB SISSON

I have a beat up '42 hood in my hood collection. It had exactly 1/2 of an emblem. I had one pot metal toyota hood emblem and one plastic one. I doubt those '42 hood emblems are reproduced so it gives me something to look for next time I get to a swap meet. And thanks for the enlargement Bat.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:38 PM   #66
cas3

Nice !!!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:17 PM   #67
flatford8

It was meant to be!....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 01:16 AM   #68
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
It was meant to be!....Mark
That's what I was thinking... in my 54 years of motoring it's been all about old ford trucks and toyota landcruisers. They were bound to co-mingle.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:47 AM   #69
Scotty's 52 F3

Gary, that emblem looks like it was made that way. The capitol F almost looks like a T. Perfect balance between the Toyota and Ford. Just like the truck. VERY cool.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:43 PM   #70
GB SISSON

Once again, thanks for the encouragement. Yesterday I pulled the windshield frame off to modify the bolt holes so I can install the safety glass that I had cut a year ago. I have had plexiglass in it and with a summer's worth of gravel road dust I figured it was time. The frame has six 1/4-20 studs and two machine screws for attachment. Of course I had to remove my new glovebox and lid to get at two of them, so it's the age old three steps forward and four steps back.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:50 PM   #71
cas3

I like to do things twice to keep busy..........
Old 04-27-2023, 12:15 AM   #72
GB SISSON

Busy is my middle name. I gotta finish and deliver that hutch in the background by Friday, my acre of lawn is a foot high and my wife wants us to take the foyota to the mainland on Saturday as it's supposed to be in the 70s for once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windshield rehab 2.jpg (136.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg windshield rehab 1.jpg (146.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:31 AM   #73
cas3

Have a nice trip to the mainland, make all the folks there jealous !
Old 04-27-2023, 12:40 AM   #74
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Busy is my middle name. I gotta finish and deliver that hutch in the background by Friday, my acre of lawn is a foot high and my wife wants us to take the foyota to the mainland on Saturday as it's supposed to be in the 70s for once.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 12:46 AM   #75
GB SISSON

Thank you Pete! Well the mainland didn't happen as I worked right through that weekend on the hutch and other aspects of that job because the moving van was coming of Sunday, which it did. And now, being the next Sunday I worked both days this weekend as well. I work alone these days and I forget how long stuff takes without a helper. Havent had a day off in something like 13 days. Today was sort of like work as the next job is on the mainland and the client picked me up in his 1964 cessna and took me over to his jobsite for measuring etc. Got to see my 'homestead' from the air too!
The windshield came out really well and new garnish trim on the inside all around, did some painting, finalized my glovebox and some other stuff and have been re-working the pedal assemblies. I found the gas pedal was too close to the brake pedal and as my brake linings seat in, the increased travel has me accelerating as I brake at times. Not the best.... Gas pedal is now well situated to the right. Funny thing about the 3 spoke wheel. My good friend and neighbor has parted out some old dodge power wagons and currently has a 46 dodge 1/2 ton. He commented on my dodge wheel and says he has 2 horn buttons and all the attachment stuff in a coffee can in his basement if I want them, so now I guess I have a spare gas cap! It's late and I have another very busy week ahead, but after all this overcommitment crap is done I plan on taking a month off, maybe Mid July-mid August.
Planning to go to a car show on one of the other islands next Saturday. Place called Friday Harbor, the county seat. Figure I will drive the Foyota (sposed to be 80 degrees) and my buddy Ron may drive the woodie. If I see any moving vans on the way over, I'm gonna duck my head.....

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-08-2023 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:38 PM   #76
flatford8

I thought you were coming East over a Memorial Day?.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 05-08-2023, 09:20 PM   #77
GB SISSON

We're coming the week before. We arrive May 18 at Logan and leave on the 23rd. Short trip. Probably no time to head North as it's pretty much about family (not ragged old trucks) Dang. My sister is coming from Brighton England. Wonder if Mart and I should figure out a parts swap. I'm sure Sis has some room in that suitcase.
I completed 2 of my smaller projects today and tomorrow it is 'Jailbar Day' on the SE slope of Mount Pickett. First thing I'll do is play steering wheel roulette so I can send Tim's puller back! The old time steering wheel was truly the crown jewel that brought this jalopy back in time. The toyota wheel now hangs on a nail just the way I cut it off with a sawzall. Blinker stalk, original key in the ignition... Somewhere out there a landcruiser guy is dreaming of finding that prize......
Old 05-09-2023, 07:12 AM   #78
flatford8

Well that’s unfortunate your stay will be short.......I was hoping we were going to meet.......I’m retiring in December and we’re going to take a ride......maybe we’ll see you out your way next year....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver