Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
JM 35 Sedan

Default York, PA NSRA Show, 5/3 - 5/5

Sorry, title should read 6/3 to 6/5.
Although this is primarily labeled a street rod show, there will be plenty of original cars, traditional hot rods, and a good number of Flathead powered cars there. A lot of well known vendors will be there. The flea market is also good. Probably more Flathead parts than you will find at the All Ford Nationals being held at Carlisle, PA during these same dates.
Anyone else planning to be there? If so, look for my mostly all original black '35 fordor slant back sedan that will normally be parked between the grandstand building and the Toyota building. Hope to see some of you there.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-31-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: correct date
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: York, PA NSRA Show, 5/3 - 5/5

I hope to attend as well on Friday. If you like a great breakfast,try Alexanders which is just past the fairgrounds on Carlisle Ave(R74) northtoward R30. Also the Reliance for lunch. Just out the Market street gate, turn west(right) for 2 blocks and it is on your right (just past the Reliance Fire station)
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Clem, I'll look for you there. It has been four years since I last saw you at Fairfax. We both probably look a little "younger" now. Maybe if you wear something wild and flashy I will recognize you ;-). Also, if you have several young attractive women following you around that will also help me find you :-)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 05-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Henryat1140

I will look you up - probably Saturday.

Regards,

Reds
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
phartman

John, my buddies from out in Roanoke called me today and asked me to join them at York. But at the time I was tooling down I-40 toward Wilmington, NC. I looked at the in-car thermometer and it read 100 degrees! I dunno if I'll go or not. There were years when I near about froze nearby at the All-Ford Carlisle show ( 2 or 3 years ago?) and years when I thought I'd die from the heat. This year will be more of the same one way or the other....

Pete
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
tuki

i should be there with some buddies.i'll be in my roadster..the weather sounds nice so far..mid 80s.
tuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Robert Dip

Hi JM,

Been going to York since 1985......it brought me back to the hobby that I thought had died, it revived my spirits to get back to the old cars. Unfortunately, the promoters got greedy and stopped the in-grounds camping. To me and many, many others, it killed most of the enjoyment. With the camping facilities, it gave us so much more time with other guys and gals in looking at and discussing each other's ride. Imagine, the attendance dropped from 7,000 + to a little over 3,000. It was done to make more room for vendors and cars.....it really backfired. So, today, I do miss going to York, but only if it was the 'Ole way'

I would have enjoyed talking to you....maybe one day, and since I finally did get my 3W, I may have a lead for you. PM me......Robert
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
BCCHOPIT

FYI...
NSRA does not support cars with mechanical brakes.
I will not be supporting them. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by BCCHOPIT; 06-01-2011 at 07:23 PM.
BCCHOPIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

BC CHOP IT, Here is my take on that....I take my car with mechanical brakes to their shows every year and no one has ever said anything to me. I could care less if they officially support mechanical brakes or not. JMO

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
BCCHOPIT

I didn't care until my X car clubs rules say all of our cars must pass NSRA safety inspection.
BCCHOPIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCHOPIT View Post
I didn't care until my X car clubs rules say all of our cars must pass NSRA safety inspection.
Who needs car clubs like that anyway?!?! Besides, an organization like that has to appeal to the masses, especially to keep their vendors/sponsors happy, and that sometimes puts traditional and pure stock vehicles out in the cold.

JM - for the first year in a long time I will not be going to York either as a spectator or as a participant. Too many things going on family-wise. Sorry to have missed seeing you again ...

Maybe next year .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Tom, sorry to hear you won't be there. Maybe you and wife could make the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway Tour in October?? Think about it.

To everyone else who responded that they will be there...... I hope to see you all (or is that ya' all or all ya' all ) there. I'm leaving for York in about 30 minutes. Will be meeting up with friends at the host hotel and watching the parade of cars coming in to register today. I'm excited to be going to the show.....even though my car has mechanical brakes that do work well most of the time

Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
Robert Dip

Mechanical brakes and inspections.....interesting topic. NSRA has a vehicle inspection program and it is strictly voluntary and not mandatory at all….or at least that’s the way it always was for me. It is amazing at how many guys put down this helpful process. It’s as if they are going to be insulted or criticized in the process. This is not the intent at all. In my view, car meets have changed over the years, and the acceptance of the many different types of vehicles are normally most welcomed and appreciated. Stockers are most definitely making a comeback. “ Hey, look, something different, an authentic stock or restored car”. The forums on this site are very helpful and interesting in obtaining information to get our ‘stockers’ up to snuff and running reliably. I have organized meets in the past and did include a team with a suitable inspection area. ( drive on lift ramp ) It was done with great fun and appreciated by all. Now, would that not be interesting to have the same theme with original cars….a lot of discussions and info sharing during the cars ‘going over’ could be considered a similar ‘Ford Barn’ forum session, but with hands on. Just a neat thought. As for meets, a lot of shows and promoters gets us ‘cheesed off’ at one point or another……but hey, they give us the opportunity for us guys to get together, and that’s the goal for us participants. My collection of old Fords, some antique Hot Rods….two carbs, headers, dual exhaust, Lincoln-Z gears, …..great stuff…..not considered ‘street rods’, and original ones restored in great detail….no aftermarket parts….because that’s my preference, makes the Ford Barn and participants an important partner for my pastime. All in all, it’s just ‘Great Ole Fords’.
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
Grandadeo

I've never gone through the NSRA inspecion with my roadster. However, I know the program does have value. Years ago a good friend of mine, who was an NSRA state inspector, failed a car due to some rear suspension geometry problems. As I remember the guy more or less blew him off because someone else told him there was nothing wrong with it. A few weeks later we heard that the car ended up on it's side at speed when one of the rear components broke. I know this has nothiing to do with York... Y'all have fun up there.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
Clem Clement

What a wonderful show. Go if you can. Fairgrounds full of great rides. For me, I got to see two 40 Merc 4 door converts together. I had one in the fifties that is now in Dayton. One of the owners of these two, knew of the car I had previously owned (1959)
Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #16
georgewarren

Just got back from York; About 3500 cars including some incredible stock Ford barn finds!! Weather was the best in the 13 years I have attended.
georgewarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #17
paul2748

I've seen all kinds of excuses why some one doesn't like NSRA, but I think this one takes the cake. The only requirement to get into the show is you have to be a member.

I was there, and I liked the show and had a good time.. Every conceivable type of car, from stock to stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCHOPIT View Post
FYI...
NSRA does not support cars with mechanical brakes.
I will not be supporting them. Just my 2 cents

paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

We had four beautiful days at York. Saw some very nice cars. Met up with Al Casteen and his group from VA. Stopped and talked to Dick Spadaro at his booth. He is working on putting together a new catalog. Saw Mark Kirby (Motor City Flathead fame) there with the Shadow Rods Group. We talked for a good while about flatheads in general and also about his aluminum block flathead program that's still in the testing stages. Saw about five or six cars built by Ray Bartlett's Hot Rod Garage, located in Denton, MD, that have all been featured at various times in the Rodder's Journal, including the '34 Ford pickup that's on the cover of the latest issue. Met up with a lot of my old friends and also met a few new friends. All in all, a great show, with plenty of nice cars and mostly beautiful weather. I'll post some pictures here as soon as I get them downloaded into my computer files.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-06-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
Clem Clement

The principle reason they stopped overnight sleeping was security costs. Security at the open gates, roving security, issues with open booths at night, etc. 99% of our folks are fine, but 1% or less make all of us suffer.