Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
rfitzpatrick

Default Model A "College"

I'm new to this site -- and find one problem. This site is like attending an on-line college, there's valuable information here, and I seem to have trouble keeping up with who told me what, where did they find it, and how can I get a recall -- two people (tiger.1000 and Mike V.) have shared something I'm interested in -- now how can I keep their references? They are not the first time this has happen to me -- how do others keep in touch?
Thanks Guys
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Model A "College"

You could make a file and bookmark them.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
ronn

use the search button on top...............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
abachman3

You can search by subject material or you can search by author... so if you know who wrote something search that persons posts.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
You could make a file and bookmark them.
I set up an index file system in my internet favorites, and save to it (add favorties) as I come across things. I have a master file labeled Mod A, and then add sub folders. EX: Separate subfolders for Cooling, trans, differential, brakes, anything to do with gas (additives, tank petcock, etc) etc. I have yet to figure out How I can save this for backup purposes.

Another possibility is to start a spreadsheet doing the same thing, Just copy/paste the links into the spreadsheet. This would also allow you to add comments in a separate cell with the link. This you can backup.

Otherwise as in all databases, you have to use the search function and hope you can narrow it down by your search functions to get what you are looking for. There is an added button for doing advanced searches, very handy.

Search is a great tool, takes some time since most common subjects have previously been covered many multiple times and sifting through the info can be daunting.

If after searching unsuccessfully, the Barn is more than willing to help if you ask.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
Jim/GA

When you find yourself in a message (a Thread) that is helpful to you or one that you would like to see the answers to, when they come, you can "Subscribe" to the thread.

Look at the red bar at the top of the thread, where is says:
Thread Tools | Search this Thread | Rate Thread | Display Modes

Use the Thread Tools button to subscribe to the thread. You will get notified when new posts are made.

You can then go to your personal Forum Profile (User CP in the black bar at the top) and see all of the threads you are subscribed to. You can also organize subscriptions into folders there.

This lets you get back to things that are of interest to you.

HTH.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
31 Woody

@30 Closed Cab PU - you can save you favorites directory. Go to file manager/windows explorer and navigate to that directory. It will likely be in the ‘user’ folder. You can copy and paste the ENTIRE FAVORITES folder to a thumb drive or any external hard drive. When you need to restore it or move it to a new computer you just copy it and paste THE CONTENTS of the favorites folder the storage device into the right folder on the PC
Old 11-24-2018, 11:19 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

You can also print it out for reference by clicking on the thread tools buttons and selecting the show printable version.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #9
Hoogah

If you just need to keep the links to the useful posts, the subscription option is OK. If you're like me, you may have subscribed to 100's of threads and the usefulness of this list becomes limited because you can't remember what is specifically good about each thread.

So, if you also need to remember WHY you subscribed to each of the threads you've saved, then another way is to copy the URL address (at the top of your screen) while you are in the required thread, then paste it into a WORD document, along with your own comments about why you saved the thread. Your WORD file becomes your very own annotated index, and clicking on the URL address (CTRL-Click) in your index opens up the very thread you need! Here's an example, using a current thread about brake adjustment. I found two useful things in there (a note about lever length and a description of Purdy's method) and can easily find the correct thread because I noted them down when I saved the link.

FordBarn Reference Threads
Brake Adjustment
• Brake lever length, Adjustment procedure used by Purdy Swoft: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254837

The link works from here, just as it does in WORD.

If you want to get fancier, you can save this info in such a way as to enable it to be kept in alphabetical order - e.g. a table in WORD, or use EXCEL spreadsheet. Or keep it simple, and make sure to keep the list in alphabetical order as you add new references.

Last edited by Hoogah; 11-25-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
If you just need to keep the links to the useful posts, the subscription option is OK. If you're like me, you may have subscribed to 100's of threads and the usefulness of this list becomes limited because you can't remember what is specifically good about each thread.

So, if you also need to remember WHY you subscribed to each of the threads you've saved, then another way is to copy the URL address (at the top of your screen) while you are in the required thread, then paste it into a WORD document, along with your own comments about why you saved the thread. Your WORD file becomes your very own annotated index, and clicking on the URL address (CTRL-Click) in your index opens up the very thread you need! Here's an example, using a current thread about brake adjustment. I found two useful things in there (a note about lever length and a description of Purdy's method) and can easily find the correct thread because I noted them down when I saved the link.

FordBarn Reference Threads
Brake Adjustment
• Brake lever length, Adjustment procedure used by Purdy Swoft: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254837

The link works from here, just as it does in WORD.

If you want to get fancier, you can save this info in such a way as to enable it to be kept in alphabetical order - e.g. a table in WORD, or use EXCEL spreadsheet. Or keep it simple, and make sure to keep the list in alphabetical order as you add new references.

X2, excellent explanation - I myself recently have started converting "my Favorites" method into Xcel, categorizing using different Page/Tabs in the spreadsheet.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #11
KR500

31 Woody, I enjoyed your quote that experience gives the exam and then follows with the lesson. I have also heard that "There are no free scholarships in the school of experience"
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
Jim Brierley

Some excellent suggestions above! If you want more details on a post, you can click on the writers name and options will appear, so you can contact that person directly.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
Jw

Read ALL the Model A books you can including Parts Suppliers Manuals
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

I agree with jw . and Jim Brierley .Most of the better model A parts catalogs now have good info . Brattons catalog is one of the best quick refferances that I often use and its free .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote