Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default '32 Four banger: What to look for

Hi All:

I'm new to the four banger world. I generally deal with flathead V8's. I've recently picked up a bunch of parts and a '32 four banger was part of the deal. The motor is disassembled.

I've read a bunch of threads about cracking issues with these blocks.

Are there other issues I should be on the look out for?

It has the early '32 crank without counter weights. It did include weld on counter weights.

From what I've read in various threads here is that a counter weighted crank isn't a deal breaker. I plan to check it out and put it back together if it the babbit checks out. If not, I plan to pass it along to someone who could use it more than me.

Any info on these motors would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 02-08-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:21 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: '32 Four banger: What to look for

The B motor was set up to have 50HP plus it had the fuel tank that required a fuel pump. The block casting has some areas that are thinner than the A and that makes it more vulnerable. The 1932 model B had its own exhaust manifold and the carburetor has a larger bore with a new manifold as well. The B cam is different from the A but a lot of model A engines ended up with them as replacements, The distributor has a mechanical advance set up. Check out Vince's Model A and B Ford Garage site for more info.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #3
Tim Ayers

Default Re: '32 Four banger: What to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The B motor was set up to have 50HP plus it had the fuel tank that required a fuel pump. The block casting has some areas that are thinner than the A and that makes it more vulnerable. The 1932 model B had its own exhaust manifold and the carburetor has a larger bore with a new manifold as well. The B cam is different from the A but a lot of model A engines ended up with them as replacements, The distributor has a mechanical advance set up. Check out Vince's Model A and B Ford Garage site for more info.
Thank you!
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote