Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2023, 01:00 PM   #21
Fairlanephantom

Default Re: Replacing motor mounts in a 56 passenger car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
I worked for the phone company for 30-years as a mechanic and they used Anchor motor mounts. They would not last a year on anything before the rubber failed. We were buying them dirt cheap, like $7.00 each from the warehouse but it wasn't worth the savings. You guys know what a pain in the butt mounts can be to sneak into place on some vehicles, even up on a hoist with the engine raised as far as it can be with muffler jacks. you're risking your fingers each time. We begged them to buy factory mounts, and all upper management cared about was the cost of the mounts $7.00 versus $50.00. A fleet of 400 vans breaking motor mounts every year. The originals lasted 50,000 miles or more. I have been retired now for 13 years, maybe the quality has gotten better at Anchor, but I doubt it. Recently I saw them on the shelves behind the counter at one of the big chain auto parts stores and it gave me PTSD. Most of the parts those stores carry are Chinese crap. No way I would ever install an Anchor motor mount on anything. They are by far the worst brand automotive product I have ever used. I got to install them by the hundreds and, watch them break and install them again, over and over. Something is wrong with their rubber.
Sounds about right on how companies take care of their fleet vehicles. My dad used to be a milkman and said every truck was practically taped together back then.

I saw someone on YouTube who changed mounts on I think a 62 Thunderbird and came back later saying one already broke, but he never said what brand they were. The problem for me is that I only saw one brand that had offset holes.

I've seen videos of people making their own motor mounts by pouring polyurethane. I'm keeping that option in mind in case I run into problems, I still kept the old ones I took out.
Fairlanephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 01:09 PM   #22
Fairlanephantom

Default Re: Replacing motor mounts in a 56 passenger car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
This sounds like way more work than I thought. I was thinking about changing mine, but not now.
I've only done mounts on front wheel drive previously, so this was definitely more than I was used to.

I had enough parts I was considering replacing along the way to make it worth the effort. I already had a cracked exhaust manifold, so I already had to unbolt the exhaust. Also that I had to do my upper radiator hose, so I already had to drain the coolant. I also have a new damper on the way, so the radiator itself was also going to come out.

If you decide to do it, keep a heat gun around in case you need it for the radiator hoses. I only disconnected the radiator side, but I still needed to soften it a little again since it was a fairly new hose.

It just created more work, but I used this opportunity to paint the engine since who knows when I'll have all this off again. I really hope no time soon.

Last edited by Fairlanephantom; 07-15-2023 at 10:25 PM.
Fairlanephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)