Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
Don

Default Radial tubes

I have 600-16 radials on my 35 rd with the regular tubes from the bias tires,checked around before a drive and rf was flat,,,no sign of puncher,just wondering if tube had given away,,I see were there are radial tubes for radial ,
tires,is there a difference in tubes
Do I need them in rear also?
Old 07-04-2022, 01:01 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Radial tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I have 600-16 radials on my 35 rd with the regular tubes from the bias tires,checked around before a drive and rf was flat,,,no sign of puncher,just wondering if tube had given away,,I see were there are radial tubes for radial ,
tires,is there a difference in tubes
Do I need them in rear also?

Hey Don....The way that I understand it, the RADIAL tubes are a heavier material than regular tubes. I've also read that they somehow rub against themselves and rub raw spots, which eventually leak.

Not sure what type or brand of tires you're running, but there are a lot of guys here-a-bouts (me included) that are running radial tires on CLEAN (non-rusty/not pitted) wheels WITHOUT any tubes at all, successfully. Your '35 wheels have welded spokes, so there is no problem with leaky spokes. Use a quality, steel Schrader valve. We've run Excelsior Stahl Sports as well as generic radial tires on stock, '40-'48 Ford 15" & 16" wheels quite successfully, with NO leaks. On the later wheels, we smear a dab of JB WELD on each of the bead-blasted rivets down in the drop center of each wheel, just to be certain there will be no leaks. Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
GB SISSON

I recall that years ago I put tubes in radials that didn't hold up. Tire guy showed me the wear on the tube from the diagonal 'ribs' or ridges on the inside of the sidewall. Maybe the radial tubes that I now use have a compound that holds up to this. Another thought is those ridges are only on tubless tires and tubes should only go into tires spec'd as Tube Type. Two days ago I put a radial tube into a tubless radial 215 85r 16 on my woodie as the rust pits on the rim wouldn't seal as tubless. Not sure I answered any questions. Just some observations. I too would like to hear what is really correct(safe). Thanks
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Soo COOP beat me to it, but let me throw this out while on the subject. I was tempted to smear JB weld on the well cleaned rim surfaces to fill the small pits, sand and paint as I do prefer tubless. I don't have another clean 16 here.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:46 PM   #5
Krylon32

A couple years ago I started a project that used 35 wires and 2 inch widened 32 wires with Exccelsior radials and got the radial tubes from my local tire shop. The car was finished and it just returned from a nearly 5000 mile trip which included a lot of driving in extremely hot weather and had no problems. In contrast I did a car several years ago with steelies, Excelsior radials and what were supposedly radial tubes from Coker and they started to fail with around 500 miles on them. I'll stick with my local tire shop.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:05 PM   #6
Don

Can’t get tire off rim with my big screw drivers (those things are tough)A friend of a friend has a small business in his basement doing special rims for some of the guys around,will se him tomorrow ,maybe see what problem is,,I’ll see if I can find some heavy duty tubes
If rims are good ,maybe go tubeless,see what he says
Went to Chattonaga Tenn, about 5 years ago and had Coker mountand balance the tires using old tubes ,this is first problem I’ve had but really haven’t put many miles on them,,
Old 07-04-2022, 02:29 PM   #7
Brian

I too run radials with tubes....I use tractor tubes, these are heavy duty and have the fat valve stem that suits the early wheels. I have had no problems using this combo over thousands of miles.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #8
cas3

I always use a rim lube product when mounting tires. It makes it easy to mount, and easy to get off years down the road. Several different brands out there to pick from. I also like to go tubeless if the rims are good, and tires are new
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:05 PM   #9
RKS.PA

Don, shortly after the '47 arrived here from Ohio, I got a set of 600x16 Coker Classic radial white walls and replaced the bias plys without tubes. That was almost 7 years ago and I've had zero issues with them.

Sound like your friend of a friend rim guy will be able to fix you right up and you can go tubeless!! Best of luck!!

Regards....Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:38 PM   #10
Krylon32

Can I go tubeless with 35 wires and 2 inch widened 32 wires with my 500/16 and 700/18 inch Excelsior radials?

Last edited by Krylon32; 07-05-2022 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:10 PM   #11
cas3

I would go tubeless Krylon32. The trick is finding valve stems that fit good. I like the ones held on with a nut. Industrial stuff. Check what your local tractor joint has for valve stems
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:05 PM   #12
47Monarch

47 ford monarch. Coker radials no tubes orginal rims.
47Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Can I go tubeless with 35 wires and 2 inch widened 32 wires with my 500/15 and 700/18 inch Excelsior radials?
Did you mean "500-16", or are your wire wheels for the front actually 15"?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:10 AM   #14
Krylon32

Sharp eye, poor computer skills. Corrected to 16.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #15
Don

Well after looking everywhere for radial tubes around close,people says there are all the same!dont think so but no one can tell me the difference,so went to rural king ,lLocal farm store,they had a very heavy duty tube really thick ,supposedly used in farm tires,I’ll give it a try,,
Local tire shop broke tire down andremoved old tube,found the hole in tube but nothing in tire to have made hole,but writing on tube said not for use in radial tires,it was pretty thin but lasted several years not many miles tho,,Guy said it must have been a piece of dirt rubbing hole in tube. ,,we,L see!!
Old 07-06-2022, 05:17 PM   #16
Brian

That's the one Don...tractor tubes. I've been running them for years, trouble free with radials.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:49 AM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Well after looking everywhere for radial tubes around close,people says there are all the same!dont think so but no one can tell me the difference,so went to rural king ,lLocal farm store,they had a very heavy duty tube really thick ,supposedly used in farm tires,I’ll give it a try,,
Local tire shop broke tire down andremoved old tube,found the hole in tube but nothing in tire to have made hole,but writing on tube said not for use in radial tires,it was pretty thin but lasted several years not many miles tho,,Guy said it must have been a piece of dirt rubbing hole in tube. ,,we,L see!!
The last set of tubes I bought for use with radial tires came from an agricultural/tractor supply company located in the small farm community that I live near. They were rated for use with radial tires, and definitely made of a thicker material than previous tubes that I purchased from Coker for a set of their radial tires. The Ag Company also recommended and sold plastic support washers/spacers that fit on the valve stems to protect them from abrading at the hole in the rim.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-07-2022 at 10:55 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:22 PM   #18
Brian

That's strange...the HD tractor tubes that I run have the correct fat valve stem
Old 07-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #19
hotrodA

After 35 years in the commercial tire business, I’ll offer some input.
Radial use tubes have the following improvements over bias use tubes.

Heavier gauge rubber.
Larger splice overlaps where the body sections are joined.
Larger and thicker valve stem base.

All features designed to deal with the stress on the tube from the increased flexing of the radial tire.

Unfortunately there are no US tire manufacturers still in the tube business.
Michelin made the best in my opinion and experience.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM   #20
Tinker

I'm a movie freak.

When you watch movies in the 80s on. You will see "period" correct cars with radials. It's very easy to see. The look is getting better... but

It's probably a paradox of supply and demand. As a company that is creating a product for restorers that wants to make money (not supply to the restoring idea) they will shift.

I don't blame them or think it's perfect. Just how things progress. I run bias-plys for now if offered.

I think if there is a simple option for pie cutters that are radial and tube. It might do a long way over time. Think coker has walked down this path.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-12-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote