Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2023, 06:28 PM   #1
Model "A" Fords

Default Canadian Model A, Left hand or right hand drive?

The Canadian Model A Ford was made as both Right Hand Drive and Left Hand Drive vehicles. RHD vehicles were shipped to overseas destinations where RHD was the norm. Both LHD and RHD Fords were also made for the Canadian market. Most of Canada used LHD vehicles but Newfoundland was still RHD. Later, Newfoundland would adopt the use of LHD vehicles.

To build both left and right hand cars, Ford Canada simplified this somewhat by having parts made interchangeable that fit both left and right. Holes for both side were put on the same part, the appropriate holes used while leaving the other holes empty.

One of the major parts to take on this ambidextrous concept was the chassis. Most chassis that Canada built, accepted both LHD & RHD use. This can be quickly spotted by the vacant holes opposite a part already mounted which the opposite hand part would have used.

Chassis, were built by the National Steel Car Company of Canada, in Hamilton Ontario, and is still operating today. They are known for making steel railway cars mostly, but back then, they produced chassis for many car manufactures including Ford Canada. Having large presses avaliable made it a good fit.

Some parts were hand specific, such as the tail light bracket, made only for one style, Either the RHD or LHD. Ford Motor Company of Canada offered a right fender bracket to add a second tail light on LHD cars in November 1931. These lights gave more visibility. Oddly, they were known to mount some left hand brackets to the right fender instead of the right bracket, leaving two lefts. This issue can still be noticed if you look for it.

Although both left and right brackets were produced, it was difficult to notice the difference. Now, even as both are reproduced, cars are still falling into the same trap. If your car has both left hand brackets, it doesn't mean it is a Canadian car as Americans make the odd mistake now also.

When looking at LHD & RHD Model A Fords, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. If you were to attempt converting from LHD to RHD or RHD to LHD that's where you may be faced with more than you bargained for. Some different parts that are evident are the steering column, gas tank, drag link, pitman & steering arms, gear shift tower, hand brake lever, wiring harness, bell housing, starter bracket, intake manifold, brake cross shaft.... you get the Idea!

*Until January 1929 the distinctive Dark Blue rad shell emblem that looked almost Black was also used on RHD cars. In keeping with the right hand, left hand theme, there was talk of making it more of an Off White by Henry Ford to oppose the dark Blue. He was told by Ford Canada's president that he had no say in Ford Canada, or its decisions on the makeup of the Canadian Model A Ford.

*Henry was described as being very agitated, and was noticed leaving Ford Canada's boardroom carrying a couple boxes of Robertson Screws just peeking from his pants pockets, along with a Robertson Screwdriver in his lapel and a few Ford Canada's color charts inside his jacket. Edsel Ford was nice enough to return them as they departed the building.

There were many more LHD than RHD Canadian vehicles made. Ford Canada's all time export of RHD cars totaled 33,000, these going to the British Commonwealth countries. By March 1931, their total combination of RHD & LHD vehicles had reached 1,000,000. Obviously, switching over from RHD to LHD, there would be more parts avaliable to pick from. Going from LHD to RHD would be a more difficult undertaking.

I have driven RHD cars in our LHD atmosphere and didn't have any issues. It is actually a fun novelty that attracts everyone's attention. Personally I wouldn't convert RHD or LHD, just enjoy them as they were built.

Right hand drive Model A Fords were also produced in the U.S.A. but were not the same as Canadian RHD. We still had our unique differences associated with all Canadian Model A Fords and we shared it with everyone that got one of are special cars.

Notes * this may be fictitious.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 06:52 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Canadian Model A, Left hand or right hand drive?

I have a 28 canadian phaeton. first inclination was to convert the rhd to lhd, but I enjoy it so much I never will chg it. like you said, it is novel and people enjoy seeing it that way.

fun to drive too!
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:30 AM   #3
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I have a 28 canadian phaeton. first inclination was to convert the rhd to lhd, but I enjoy it so much I never will chg it. like you said, it is novel and people enjoy seeing it that way.

fun to drive too!

Glad you kept it as it was!

Do you know if it was one used in Canada once built or did it get shipped overseas and brought back? Does it have the original dark blue radiator emblem?

If you have photographs of the car with views of the emblem, I would love to see them!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:35 PM   #4
rackops

I also have a 1928 RHD Phaeton. It was made in Canada in April 1928, shipped to Australia, completed in-country, and then delivered to the customer in Perth in October 1928. The car later went to Rhodesia in 1967, then South Africa in 1983, and then to the US in 2002.

When I bought it, the car had a blue (US-style) Ford oval. I don't believe that was original as I understand the radiator shell was replaced when it was initially restored in 1960. Color photos from that time show that it was certainly a blue oval...but I don't know who put it on the car. I have since replaced it with the black-blue oval, though I did keep the blue one "just for history".
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 06:58 PM   #5
CHuDWah

Interesting.

Decades ago, we had an ambidextrous 29 frame - dunno if it was Canadian or American. We used it under a LHD 30 coupe back when we didn't know any better - took a little tweaking to get everything aligned but it worked. We also learned the difference between tail light brackets when we installed a right hand light on that car.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:00 AM   #6
ronn

Mine is in a storage box and hasnt run in a dozen yrs or so.
dont remember it having a darker emblem.

I bought the car on ebay, out of Cali. Gave the guy the opening bid to get him started. had no intentions of owning it, but I was the only bid, so it was mine.
nothing like a rust free car from Cali! It was def an export model. Has some funny cowl louvers on the sides, as I recall. Pedals a little difficult to operate, but best running engine of all the As I own and have driven. Has the square slotted screw heads, the AR rims etc.
Needs to be pulled out and ran.........
Old 09-23-2023, 02:42 PM   #7
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Mine is in a storage box and hasnt run in a dozen yrs or so.
dont remember it having a darker emblem.

I bought the car on ebay, out of Cali. Gave the guy the opening bid to get him started. had no intentions of owning it, but I was the only bid, so it was mine.
nothing like a rust free car from Cali! It was def an export model. Has some funny cowl louvers on the sides, as I recall. Pedals a little difficult to operate, but best running engine of all the As I own and have driven. Has the square slotted screw heads, the AR rims etc.
Needs to be pulled out and ran.........

Do you have plans for your Phaeton? Do you have anyone in your family to run it.?
Old 09-23-2023, 02:58 PM   #8
ronn

I have too many cars and am now in process of cutting back or culling.
it has gotten out of hand. Will be keeping the phaeton for the time being. am selling a couple of roadsters and other cars in my collection.

just listed a 41 woodie, conv and a 36 chevy coupe etc. projects......
Old 09-24-2023, 04:44 PM   #9
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackops View Post
I also have a 1928 RHD Phaeton. It was made in Canada in April 1928, shipped to Australia, completed in-country, and then delivered to the customer in Perth in October 1928. The car later went to Rhodesia in 1967, then South Africa in 1983, and then to the US in 2002.

When I bought it, the car had a blue (US-style) Ford oval. I don't believe that was original as I understand the radiator shell was replaced when it was initially restored in 1960. Color photos from that time show that it was certainly a blue oval...but I don't know who put it on the car. I have since replaced it with the black-blue oval, though I did keep the blue one "just for history".

Your Phaeton has traveled further without the wheels turning then a lot have with the wheels turning on the road. Are there still most of the Canadian parts on it, any showing manufacturing marks? Would you share some photographs please?

I was talking to someone on Friday when looking for Model A parts that owns a Canadian Phaeton. This one traveled from Australia to the US and took a few trips across the country since it arrived.

Does anyone have another body style with the RHD that Was Canadian? Photographs?
Old 09-25-2023, 10:08 AM   #10
rackops

I'll message you a dropbox link with lots of photos.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:09 PM   #11
rackops

For general interest...here's the link to the Dropbox folder for my car. Everyone is welcome to look, download, etc. There are a lot of random photos, particularly as I like to take photos while I'm taking things apart and putting them back together in order to verify correct installation (I do that with my house as well!)

Enjoy!

Dave

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r3geuk3c9...5ueUvXJka?dl=0
Old 09-27-2023, 09:59 AM   #12
Chris in WNC

my unrestored, US-built 31 Tudor had steering box holes stamped on both sides of frame....
Old 10-03-2023, 05:25 PM   #13
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
my unrestored, US-built 31 Tudor had steering box holes stamped on both sides of frame....

Do you know which US facility your car was made? I know the US made RHD A's and wondered if that was done in more than one plant?
Old 10-04-2023, 10:47 AM   #14
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords View Post
Do you know which US facility your car was made? I know the US made RHD A's and wondered if that was done in more than one plant?
sold the car in 2009, so don't remember.

might have the info archived in an older laptop, but we are on the road until November.

If I don't get back to you by 10 Nov, PM a reminder......
Old 10-24-2023, 02:48 PM   #15
tucan31

There is raised stamping on the firewall for the RHD steering column and the frame has steering box mounting holes on my 31 Canadian Tudor.
tucan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 12:59 PM   #16
cjw828 2021

Argentine A's were right hand drive. Had both steering column frame holes on each side. I never saw a Robertson screw on the many cars I looked at. No dark radiator emblem.
cjw828 2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:27 AM   #17
rackops

Dumb question, but did all firewalls have LHD/RHD options? My 1931 Victoria has the indentation for the RHD steering column, though the car itself is LHD. The frame is not ambidextrous - it's LHD only.

I was kind of surprised to see the RHD column indentation, though I'll admit I haven't gone looking for them on a lot of Model As either...