Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
1967 Camaro

Default '57 Thunderbird Rear Glass Install

Anyone ever install the back glass in the hardtop of a '57? The glass, seal and trim all look good but are not installed into the top. I've seen other glass like this being installed using a string/rope but thought maybe someone has done this to a '57. Thanks!
1967 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: '57 Thunderbird Rear Glass Install

I helped my neighbor do his '57 rear window several years back, that's how we did it. Make sure the headliner is securely in place around the opening before you start so it doesn't shift or pucker out of place while the window is going in. The chrome trim was installed on the window seal before we started.

A small dia (3/16?) parachute type cord should work well. Put it snugly into the groove with the ends overlapping and hanging out at the bottom. Place the bottom of the seal, window and rope ends into the opening with as much of the seal lip inside as you can, then pull the cord in a bit at a time, alternating L & R sides around the window as it pulls the seal lip inside with it. Someone on the outside carefully pushing in at the same spot is very helpful.

The rubber seal we used was new, the opening thoroughly cleaned and the car isn't driven in the rain so potential leaks haven't been noticed. Other folks here have found a liquid caulk sealer helpful on some cars but I don't believe it's usually done on these windows.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-10-2017 at 08:53 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #3
Milt K from Pa

dmsfrr,
you forgot to mention that the chrome-strip and rubber seal combination are FIRST installed on the perimeter of the glass, with the string placed into the slot of the seal. This was done with the hardtop upside down. Installing the rubber onto the glass is easiest with at least two people. Just did this on my '57 a month ago. NOTE: one brand new rubber seal purchased did not fit correctly, it bulged out of the top and would not lie flat. Purchased another new one from Casco, which fit perfectly. An old hard rubber seal will be VERY difficult to install onto the glass AND the hardtop.

Milt K from Pa

Last edited by Milt K from Pa; 03-12-2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Milt K from Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt K from Pa View Post
dmsfrr,
you forgot to mention that the chrome-strip and rubber seal combination are FIRST installed on the perimeter of the glass, with the string placed into the slot of the seal.
True enough, yes the chrome trim and seal goes on the rear window glass first. The owner had done that before I got there. We installed the rear window assembly with the hardtop fastened onto the car, so we didn't have to wrestle with it flopping around on a padded workbench or something. It was the easiest solution at the time.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
1967 Camaro

I will have a couple experienced Thunderbird helpers in reinstalling the glass. I read somewhere that if the top was not stored correctly when it was off the car, it could warp causing the glass to fit loosely. Should I find that this is the case, what can be done to ensure the glass is secure? Add some polyurethane to the procedure? Thanks!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Mostly I think it's the bottom corners that spread apart, taking some of the curve out of the window opening. Or, the narrow piece below the window opening could have been pushed out of place???
Your helpers may be able to help with that too, once they see it

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-16-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
1967 Camaro

Success! Don't know how anyone could do this by themselves. Entire job took about 30 minutes. Small diameter nylon cord and fingers did the trick. Now....on to find the reason the left front brake isn't....braking. Love these oldies. Thanks for the comments/advice.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
dmsfrr

They don't have self adjusting brakes.
All four wheels might just need a good adjustment.
If the brake fluid is dark-ish it's time to replace it.
Just one wheel? maybe a stuck / corroded wheel cylinder
Old 03-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
miker98038

If you end up going thru all the brakes, there's a parts list here someplace to convert them to self adjusting, at least the rears. Probably worth it if you've got them apart and they all need it.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote