Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Automotive Stud

Default 1932 Ford firewall differences

I've done some research but everyone says that all 32 firewalls are the same. My friend has two that are different. These are not them but I found pictures online and circled them in red to show the two differences. Can someone in the know fill us in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150412_142423.jpg (94.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3378.jpg (78.1 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by Automotive Stud; 04-26-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
37 Cab

Default Re: 1932 Ford firewall differences

For one thing the second pic looks like the lower half has been sectioned in. the bead roll on the right looks to not match the section.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
Automotive Stud

Well that may be, but the question remains. The two red circles highlight the main differences I am inquiring about. Again these are not our firewalls pictured, but we have one of each style. One has an extra bead and the other has an extra dimple.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
OLDTINDEALER

Several different styles where used through out the year. Get David Rehor's book the 1932 Ford Book. The first firewall you have is a very early (and rare) pre May firewall. The indent was removed for more foot room. I believe without looking there are at least 8 different versions of the firewall thru the year.
OLDTINDEALER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Left one has the little dent that looks like a good place to park an oil can...that is an earlier one, set up for the power assist system that almost made it into production. The other later is pushed out in that area for more toe room. Both are normal.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #6
Mart

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The indent was there for a vacuum assisted clutch canister that did not get adopted into production. Once the stock of that style firewall had been exhausted the indent was deleted. The indent denotes it as a very early firewall.

All this from what I have read somewhere, I'm not an expert.

Mart.

Edit: Typing at the same time as Bruce.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #7
DavidG

Mart,

Actually the late fire wall continues to provide for the never-released vacuum tank. That's why the upper red-circled clinch nut in the first photo ended up higher in the second photo. The bottom of the tank rested on top of the protrusion to increase the toe room in front of the clutch pedal which retains a slight indentation above it to center the tank.

There were twelve different versions that I can think of but eight of those have only minor variations.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
I've done some research but everyone says that all 32 firewalls are the same. My friend has two that are different. These are not them but I found pictures online and circled them in red to show the two differences. Can someone in the know fill us in?
If "everyone" tells you the firewalls are all the same you must be hanging around with a bunch of hot rod guys (nothing negative intended). It would probably best to say that all firewalls are functionally interchangeable. If you are doing a high point restoration post the serial number of your car (use XXX for the last 3 digits) and someone can help. Quoting from OLDTINDEALER "Get David Rehor's book the 1932 Ford Book."

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

There is a pretty good look at the power assist system, or at least a version of it, in a Ford patent...I think I once posted the number here.
Things I can think of that made it into the world: That dent in firewall and the empty screw insert that all the firewalls have...the big (3/8 pipe, I think) vac port in early B intake manifolds...bellhousing clutch levers with an extra hole for the assist have turned up...
I think darn near EVERYTHING on '32's came in multiple versions, mostly not documented in the parts books. The wonderful '32 restoration book is filled with examples, and I'm sure more will continue to appear.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #10
DavidG

Bruce,

You're right, while I've never filled out a score card, the number of parts that were changed at least once or where there were variations due to different suppliers' manufacturing capabilities probably way outnumber those that remained unchanged from the beginning to the end of the model year. The number of parts unchanged in the engine compartment, for example, could likely be counted out on your fingers.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
There is a pretty good look at the power assist system, or at least a version of it, in a Ford patent...I think I once posted the number here.
Things I can think of that made it into the world: That dent in firewall and the empty screw insert that all the firewalls have...the big (3/8 pipe, I think) vac port in early B intake manifolds...bellhousing clutch levers with an extra hole for the assist have turned up...
I think darn near EVERYTHING on '32's came in multiple versions, mostly not documented in the parts books. The wonderful '32 restoration book is filled with examples, and I'm sure more will continue to appear.
Bruce,

Another thing that made it into production was the large boss on the front drivers side of early Model B engines designed to mount the unit.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #12
DavidG

Like so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 009.jpg (42.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 008.jpg (18.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #13
my4dv8

Well there you go, our early 32 with the early cowl vent etc has most likely had a later firewall fitted. "That's never happened before"
Interesting info.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #14
GSCOV

my4dv8- If your car was built outside the USA then a lot of interesting things may be in the assembly.
GSCOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Like so.
Very interesting stuff . . . kind of wild that Ford was attempting to make the clutch engagement all that much easier . . . never seemed like a problem to me. I guess they were busy working on "Power Clutches" . . . long before we all got used to "Power Brakes". Fascinating . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #16
DavidG

Look closely at the back end of the transmission and you'll likely conclude what's attached there also did not make it into production.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #17
Corn Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4dv8 View Post
Well there you go, our early 32 with the early cowl vent etc has most likely had a later firewall fitted. "That's never happened before"
Interesting info.
My older bro has a pretty much unmolested Tudor with an early vent, early front crossmember, early hood hood sides, early hood hooks, but a later firewall. I highly doubt his firewall was switched out. So there is no telling when all these changes exactly occured.
Corn Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #18
DavidG

Because of Ford's formal engineering release process, we have a pretty good idea when a change was made to an individual part, but when that part ended up being used in a vehicle depended on a number of important variables such as existing inventories of the previously-used part (when they did not immediately stop using a particular version as was the case in a few instances), when a particular assembly plant launched production at the beginning of the model year (it was more than two months before the last U.S. assembly plant started up at the beginning of the '32 model year), and the distance between the origin of a part and its assembly plant destination. As a result, Corn Fed's example is completely believable.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #19
alchemy

I'm Corn Fed's brother. My tudor is #180 produced at the Des Moines plant. SN something in the 50,000's for a 4 cylinder. I always guessed the reason for the later firewall on a car with so much other early stuff is that the train car originally loaded with firewalls destined for Des Moines from Detroit got hijacked. Henry had to send another shipment, and by then they were producing the later firewalls.

The car also has early brake/clutch pedals, dashboard, visors, and probably many other parts I don't know about.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote