Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Big Earl

Default 38 and 39 engine

I have a 38 standard coupe body on a 38 deluxe chassis, and I need to change the fan, distributor, and possibly the generator from what I have been told.

Can anyone tell me what of those three parts (fan, dist, and generator) are interchangeable?

'38

'39
Big Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: 38 and 39 engine

I believe all you have to change is the fan that runs off the gen. I think that crab dist should work on a 38, You can run that gen. by installing a voltage reg. Install a gen pully that take a fan. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Big Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
I believe all you have to change is the fan that runs off the gen. I think that crab dist should work on a 38, You can run that gen. by installing a voltage reg. Install a gen pully that take a fan. Walt
Walt,

Are you referring to this fan/generator setup?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

Thats not a crab dist. You have the correct dist on it all you need is the tall coil on there.Helmet dist. ken ct. The bottom pic has the correct dist.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Looks like you have a 39 deluxe chassis so you'll need to change the front crossmember, radiator supports, generator and fan.
Get a generator with the 4 bladed fan mounted at the front.
Distributor is fine.
Regards,
Chris.NZ.
38 standard coupes are one of the prettiest looking Fords from the 30's.

Last edited by swoopNZ; 02-21-2011 at 05:10 PM.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
jerry grayson

That looks like a (1939) deluxe chassis you have there in the bottom picture, hydraulic brakes, crank mounted fan, generator, and frame radiator mounts, 39 type lower radiator hose, etc. The top picture engine looks like a 46-48. What front sheet metal and radiator do you want to use? Several changes will be necessary with either engine. All three of the parts you mention are interchangable, but most will not work with 38 standard radiator and sheet metal.
Just what are you trying to do?
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
Big Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry grayson View Post
That looks like a (1939) deluxe chassis you have there in the bottom picture, hydraulic brakes, crank mounted fan, generator, and frame radiator mounts, 39 type lower radiator hose, etc. The top picture engine looks like a 46-48. What front sheet metal and radiator do you want to use? Several changes will be necessary with either engine. All three of the parts you mention are interchangable, but most will not work with 38 standard radiator and sheet metal.
Just what are you trying to do?
Jerry,

The 38 standard coupe body is going on the 39 deluxe chassis. The top picture was how I got the coupe, and the bottom is how it sits now. I need to swap the radiator and fan at a minimum. To do the radiator swap I am making a bracket to mount it in the correct location.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Thats not a crab dist. You have the correct dist on it all you need is the tall coil on there.Helmet dist. ken ct. The bottom pic has the correct dist.
I didn't relize he wanted to be period correct, I just thought he wanted to put that engine with the 46-48 crab dist into a 38. All I can see that he has to do is get the fan to run off the gen. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Big Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
I didn't relize he wanted to be period correct, I just thought he wanted to put that engine with the 46-48 crab dist into a 38. All I can see that he has to do is get the fan to run off the gen. Walt

Walt,

That is exactly what I am trying to do... get it driving again. I know it will not be a "correct" 38, so whatever is the best way to get it back on the road is the direction I am headed.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Walt,

That is exactly what I am trying to do... get it driving again. I know it will not be a "correct" 38, so whatever is the best way to get it back on the road is the direction I am headed.
OK, now we see what you are trying to do. The best way to fix the radiator mount problem is to take the frame radiator mounts off the 38 and bolt them to the 39 after removing the 39 mounts. The generator you need is a 39 standard 2 brush. It will have the pulley on it to mount your fan. Of course, the fan needed is your 38 or the 39 standard. The 38 radiator is also what you need. 37, 38 and 39 standard radiators will interchange.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Big Earl

Where can I buy the correct pulley or complete generator to mount the fan to? The ones I have do not have any provisions to mount the fan.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
jerry grayson

Quote:
Where can I buy the correct pulley or complete generator to mount the fan to? The ones I have do not have any provisions to mount the fan.
I don't have any idea where you may find the items you need, you will just have to search. There is no "warehouse" that has a stock of 39 standard generators. You need to join the EFV8 club in your area to get contacts for your needs.There are several regional groups in Texas, click on efv8.org to get more information.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
rotorwrench

I see the fan mount pulleys in Macs catalog and several others. The 59A style fan might work if you are using 38 standard front sheet metal. Where your problem lies would be that the 38 standard and deluxe were both using the generator fan set up but the 39 deluxe changed to the crank mounted fan. The whole front of the frame is different for sure than any of the 38 sheetmetal was made to fit. Even mounting the radiator could be a problem depending on which radiator you are planning to use or try to use. I'm not saying in any way it can't be done. We would just need more information about what all parts you are planning to use to see what will work with what in order to give you a more accurate answer to your question.

Kerby
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
flatjack9

Quote:
I have these items. You can call me at 920-235-2300. Jack
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote