Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
Bubsyouruncle

Angry '32 starter switch

Back Story

The car came into the family in 1952. Worked ok for a couple years, then died. I started fooling with it in '56 or '57. Finally replaced the '34? engine in '61 with a '47. Used the car for a full year (1963/4) in Milwaukee with no problems.

Current

The engine still works today. When I can get the starter switch to work.

The original starter switch fell apart in the early '60's and the local Ford dealer provided a replacement. OEM? NORS? I have no way of knowing and it is over 50 years ago. Memory is faulty.

When the "new" one failed a month ago I took it apart, which was interesting. Nothing looked out of whack, except that the insulation paper was leaning into the switch. I put it back together and it worked. For a while. Now it has failed again. And looks the same inside. ARGH

The damn thing is so simple I can't imagine what the problem is. Two solid copper lugs at the bottom and a heavy duty spring loaded copper bridge piece that spans them when you step on the pedal. The heavy (1/16 inch) insulation keeps the electricity under control.

HELP
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: '32 starter switch

When you had it apart, did you face all the contact areas to fresh copper that contact well? Every time that switch works, it arcs a little. Like you said, it is dead simple. When it fails you, what happens? Nothing? Arcing?
I think new switches are available.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #3
DavidG

Default Re: '32 starter switch

I agree with deuce roadster that NOS and NORS switches are available, but don't let the seller convince you that '32-'34 switches are the same as they are not. The push rod on a '32 switch is exactly parallel to the steering column when installed whereas the rod on a '33-'34 switch is at 15 degree (or so) angle away from the adjacent steering column. The feet of the '32 switch where it's attached to the steering gear box are at a 90 degree angle to the body and push rod which is easily discerned in a side view of the switch.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote